“WHERE DO I BEGIN?. . . . .”
Review of The Oaks

The Oaks
Ranked #4 of 50 Restaurants in Hiawassee
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 30
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Oaks offers a fine dining experience with a seasonally influenced dinner menu, including fine steaks, prime rib, chicken, and fresh seafood selections. Beautiful presentations of fresh food, simply prepared, coupled with an attentive staff, makes The Oaks the perfect choice for intimate dining or entertaining. Enjoy casual elegance in a stately paneled dining room or cocktails on our lakefront terrace amidst beautiful surroundings.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This restaurant has been opened under various managers and managements over the last ten years. All have seemed to fail because they couldn’t deliver on service, food quality, or value. This is still the case!!

Three couples in our local dining group wanted to try the “TWO FOR $32” as a special dining option on Thursday .
Our server was doing his best but woefully lacked experience a server or with this restaurant. He took our orders but couldn’t remember the list of sides to choose from even though they were listed on the 2for$32 cards on the table. Also, the restaurant didn’t have 1000 Island dressing. Here is the big one – our main course arrived before our salad orders! Everyone ordered the sirloin steak option on the special. It turned out to be more of a breakfast steak; paper thin with some fat and gristle. What you could eat tasted fine but was not what everyone expected!
The sides were OK but not special except for the collard greens which were quite good. The $16 plate was more like a $8.00 meal or less in value. The dessert to share was good but was the only choice offered.

Here are the two biggest questionable issues at the Oaks. Over charging and charging for things that were included in the 2for$32 special. Two out of our three couples were charged $7.00 for the shared dessert which was supposed to be included in the meal. This was fixed after they heard us complain loudly about the error. Funny that another Tripadvisor reviewer stated the following: “To make matters worse, they tried to charge something that wasn't supposed to charged. “ Next was the problem with the wine order. Two of us ordered a $9.00 glass of wine from the wine list. The portion of wine was suppose to be 9ozs but arrived more like half that amount and was charged on the bill at $15.00 per glass instead of the $9.00. The bartender was adamant that he knew what a 9ozs amount was and the customer was wrong! The overcharge was finally removed after some extended shouting back and forth.

FORGET THIS PLACE AS A DINING OPTION IN HIAWASSEE/YOUNG HARRIS. NOT WORTH YOUR TROUBLE!

1  Thank Florascope

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We were passing through the area sometime last week (late March) and knew we'd be in town around dinner time, so we looked up possible restaurant choices. The Oaks turned up as a decent candidate that fits the bill and the four-star rating we saw on TripAdvisor was comforting to us. At this point, I am wondering if the rating was somehow fudged. Perhaps in its past life under different management it might have been a good local dining choice, but it is NOT so at all when we visited.

When we entered the restaurant around 6:00 pm, no one was manning the hostess' desk. Completely deserted and unattended, the entrance looked like a scene from a badly made scary movie. We waited for several minutes, but still no luck. So I ventured into the bar area and try to call to the bartender's attention so he could get someone for us. He dismissively told me someone would "be right with you," but again no such luck. Finally 10-15 minutes after we walked in (yes, you are right, we should've left when no one would come out and do their job in the first couple of minutes, but we tend to persevere when it is not warranted...) we were finally seated at a table by a frazzled waitress. Then we were abandoned at the table for another 10 minutes or so before we had to flag her down to have our orders in. To make a painfully long story short, our food (the order for which supposed to was put in around 6:20-6:25 pm) didn't come out well past 7:00 pm. The drink order I placed while I was waiting never even got started by the bartender until after our meal was over. The only reason I didn't give a 0-star rating (which, I don't believe, is an option under the current trip advisor rating system) is the fact that the much-awaited food was at least passable as decent southern fare. To make matters worse, they tried to charge something that wasn't supposed to charged. The bill got eventually straightened out, but they made every aspect of the meal so painful, from the very beginning to the end.

Not a pleasant/enjoyable experience at all. I do NOT recommend this place. I am going to try the BBQ place in town if I ever pass through the area again -- the locals seem to think highly of the place.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

This place was outstanding, I highly recommend it. Lisa our server was fantastic. The bartender made us a very tasty Bloody Mary and the food was excellent. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Just had a wonderful dinner!!! My husband and I have eaten here a few times in the past and although it was good, they have definitely upped their game and tonight was a fantastic dinner. We had the stuffed pork chop and the seafood pasta. Both were delicious! The pork was cooked perfectly and the sweet potato grits and greens that came with it were marvelous. The seafood pasta had 4 large sea scallops and an abundance of shrimp. The sauce was tasty and the portion large. In the past we have been able to finish our dinners and want a little bit more. Today we had to get a take home plate. If there was one minor inconvenience, it was that the shrimp in the pasta still had the tails on. This may be a pet peeve, but I hate shrimp in sauce where I have to get my fingers all saucy to remove the tails. Overall, I would say go and enjoy this wonderful addition to local dining. We have not had a better meal anywhere in the surrounding area!!!

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

We’ve been going to this restaurant for about a quarter century and have seen it morph into different things. It had always had a warm welcoming feel of rustic elegance set lakeside in the mountains. Part of the warm friendly feel has been the beautiful natural wood paneled walls. Recent renovations painted over the wood in a depressing battleship grey. Contemporary furnishings make a once comfortable lake/mountain retreat feel like they are painfully trying to be something they aren’t. It is not in the city and I dare to suggest that most visiting the area are trying to escape the city feel. The restaurant could be in Atlanta, New York or any urban area.
Food was quite underwhelming as well. The pasta dishes looked and tasted as if the pasta had sat around in a pot all day. Fried Chicken was not what you’d imagine fried chicken to be in a restaurant that bills itself as southern. It was a few small cuts of meat with a sugary coating.
The staff was the one bright spot in an otherwise dreary and depressing setting. I really want to like this restaurant, but not going to happen in its present form.

2  Thank flynomore