“We had a very comfortable stay”

Candlewood Suites Atlanta / Gwinnet Place
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 22 August 2017

Not knowing the Atlanta area we wanted to stay out in suburbia and drive in to do the tourist things we had planned . This property was ideal for us . Quiet , but close to the highway . There are plenty of restaurants nearby.
We had made reservations a couple of hours previous to arriving and check in was smooth . I used a hotel website to book and requested 2 beds , since there were 3 of us . What we were given was a one bed in a separate room and the fold out couch . Since a teenager was going to sleep on the couch it wasn't a huge issue and it wasn't Candlewood's fault . We didn't say anything to them . We were out all day and into the evening , so we were exhausted by the time we got back and slept well.
We usually stay in cheap , basic motels , so this made us feel more like we were coming home each night . Would stay again in the future .

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

Although I only stayed for one night this trip, this property is very homey. Usually when I stay here it is for multiple nights. Has a full kitchen, comfortable bed, friendly staff and always clean. What more can you ask for?

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2017

I could not get a decent night's sleep due to the AC always turning off and then I'd wake up sweating, have to get up and move around so it would turn on.
Also, when I got my bill, I saw that the charges increased each day. I understand charging more for holidays or weekends, but this was Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Trying to reconcile this in our corporate expense system was a problem. When I called to verify that the rates were correct, I was told that the hotel changes them daily based on their occupancy levels. I travel a lot but I have never heard that one before. Since that is your deal, you should warn guests when they check in that this is the case.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 3rd floor if you're a non-smoker
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Atlanta / Gwinnet Place, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2017

Dear Kim M,

Thank you for your stay and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very important as this will assist us to achieve our goal in providing the perfect guest experience. It is good to see the high rating you have given towards our hotel location since our hotel provides easy access to great shopping stalls. However, I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced particularly with the air conditioning system which created a lot of disturbance due to the heat, and if you found our service regarding the billing issue less than satisfactory. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services and products we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and for staying with us. We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back and provide you a better stay.

Zel N.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 31 August 2016

TL;DR this is a good choice for an extended stay.

I was in Atlanta for my nephew's fifth birthday, but I didn't want to stay with my brother because... family. Who wants to be holed up in a tiny two-bedroom apartment with a bunch of screaming kids? Since I'm only the aunt, I left all the children over there and went to stay in a quiet hotel all by myself.

I rolled up on Candlewood because it's across the street from the restaurant where my brother works. I figured he could give me free drinks and I could just walk across the street. That actually didn't happen, but whatever. On to the hotel review, which is what you're here for.

I didn't make a reservation just walked right in and there was vacancy. I did ask for first floor room but there were none available. Front desk clerk said, "But I can get you one near the elevator." Who would actually want that? Luckily, it wasn't -that- close to the elevator and I didn't hear too much noise of people traipsing back and forth. To be honest, unless you're carrying the weight of the universe on your shoulders you can just use the stairs. They're not the bad.

Room was nice. Very clean. I was happy with it. It's an extended stay place so you'll get a full size refrigerator, a kitchen sink and half a stove. You can borrow any necessary items from the front desk, like a waffle-maker, board games, tea pot, etc. I was only there one night so I didn't need all that.

I give this place three stars because the bed actually hurt my back. I'm a Soldier, used to sleeping in all kinds of bizarre places. I could sleep on a parking block and be fine the next day. This bed had me tossing and turning; the next day my back hurt something fierce.

Another reduction in points is the crummy WIFI. So, the website says free WIFI and other reviewers said free WIFI and the front desk lady gave me a password, but when I tried to log in, it asked me for a credit card. Uh, no. I don't do that. So, then I was thinking maybe it was because I was trying to stream Netflix. I carry an Amazon Firestick with me when I travel because cable TV and their set program times is for old people. I tried to log into the WIFI on my phone so I could goof off on Facebook, but there seemed to be something wrong with the Terms and Conditions page. It didn't ask me for a credit card but it kept asking me if I accepted the Terms and Conditions. It said to press "accept," except there was no button or link or anything on the entire page that said ACCEPT. I also tried on my iPad and got the same issue. Really annoying, actually, and this is the reason I did not extend my stay. I was in Atlanta the entire weekend, but because of the WIFI issue I moved to another hotel.

Another thing that made me leave is the air conditioning situation. I have stayed in Candlewood Suites before. Two years ago, I stayed at a property in Maryland once a month for about a year. They have this eco-AC thing that detects when there is movement in the room. So when you come in from a hot, muggy Atlanta day, you have to wait a few minutes for the room to cool down. I hate that. Also, when you're sleeping, you're not moving around like a maniac (...or are you) so the AC will cut off. I like to sleep FREEEEZING. My room was lukewarm at best. It's great we're trying to look out for the environment, or are you really just trying to look out for your energy bills? I know what time it is.

After tossing and turning most of the night, I checked out the next morning and went down the street to a hotel that had no-fuss WIFI and AC cold enough to freeze my eyelashes.

It wasn't a horrible experience and if someone paid me to stay here, I'd come back. I just wouldn't spend my own money.

This place is near shopping, entertainment and many food options. You can walk to these place if you're not lazy.

Also, don't knock on my door in the morning unless I'm overdue on the checkout time. This is so rude.

Also, for ADA people, the front door does not have that accessibility button and it also seems too narrow for wheelchairs. I guess you can come in through the side doors--with the baggage. The elevators are in this vestibule thing that seems awkward. I am not ADA but always notice things like that.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank WorfsBabyMama
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Atlanta / Gwinnet Place, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2016

Dear WorfsBabyMama,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the cleanliness of the room received and the kitchen amenities. However, we regret if you did not fully enjoy your stay due to the inconvenience the condition of the bed, air conditioning, and the WiFi connection may have caused you . Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that these concerns will be addressed to the hotel management for review to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Grace P.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 14 June 2016

The price is just as good as the stay. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable and affordable place, then look no further. The place is close to a food and entertainment as well as being right off the exit of I-85.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family