All reviewsfull kitchenstayed for one nightcomfortable bedwould stay againratesattendanthighway
Reviewed 31 August 2016

TL;DR this is a good choice for an extended stay.

I was in Atlanta for my nephew's fifth birthday, but I didn't want to stay with my brother because... family. Who wants to be holed up in a tiny two-bedroom apartment with a bunch of screaming kids? Since I'm only the aunt, I left all the children over there and went to stay in a quiet hotel all by myself.

I rolled up on Candlewood because it's across the street from the restaurant where my brother works. I figured he could give me free drinks and I could just walk across the street. That actually didn't happen, but whatever. On to the hotel review, which is what you're here for.

I didn't make a reservation just walked right in and there was vacancy. I did ask for first floor room but there were none available. Front desk clerk said, "But I can get you one near the elevator." Who would actually want that? Luckily, it wasn't -that- close to the elevator and I didn't hear too much noise of people traipsing back and forth. To be honest, unless you're carrying the weight of the universe on your shoulders you can just use the stairs. They're not the bad.

Room was nice. Very clean. I was happy with it. It's an extended stay place so you'll get a full size refrigerator, a kitchen sink and half a stove. You can borrow any necessary items from the front desk, like a waffle-maker, board games, tea pot, etc. I was only there one night so I didn't need all that.

I give this place three stars because the bed actually hurt my back. I'm a Soldier, used to sleeping in all kinds of bizarre places. I could sleep on a parking block and be fine the next day. This bed had me tossing and turning; the next day my back hurt something fierce.

Another reduction in points is the crummy WIFI. So, the website says free WIFI and other reviewers said free WIFI and the front desk lady gave me a password, but when I tried to log in, it asked me for a credit card. Uh, no. I don't do that. So, then I was thinking maybe it was because I was trying to stream Netflix. I carry an Amazon Firestick with me when I travel because cable TV and their set program times is for old people. I tried to log into the WIFI on my phone so I could goof off on Facebook, but there seemed to be something wrong with the Terms and Conditions page. It didn't ask me for a credit card but it kept asking me if I accepted the Terms and Conditions. It said to press "accept," except there was no button or link or anything on the entire page that said ACCEPT. I also tried on my iPad and got the same issue. Really annoying, actually, and this is the reason I did not extend my stay. I was in Atlanta the entire weekend, but because of the WIFI issue I moved to another hotel.

Another thing that made me leave is the air conditioning situation. I have stayed in Candlewood Suites before. Two years ago, I stayed at a property in Maryland once a month for about a year. They have this eco-AC thing that detects when there is movement in the room. So when you come in from a hot, muggy Atlanta day, you have to wait a few minutes for the room to cool down. I hate that. Also, when you're sleeping, you're not moving around like a maniac (...or are you) so the AC will cut off. I like to sleep FREEEEZING. My room was lukewarm at best. It's great we're trying to look out for the environment, or are you really just trying to look out for your energy bills? I know what time it is.

After tossing and turning most of the night, I checked out the next morning and went down the street to a hotel that had no-fuss WIFI and AC cold enough to freeze my eyelashes.

It wasn't a horrible experience and if someone paid me to stay here, I'd come back. I just wouldn't spend my own money.

This place is near shopping, entertainment and many food options. You can walk to these place if you're not lazy.

Also, don't knock on my door in the morning unless I'm overdue on the checkout time. This is so rude.

Also, for ADA people, the front door does not have that accessibility button and it also seems too narrow for wheelchairs. I guess you can come in through the side doors--with the baggage. The elevators are in this vestibule thing that seems awkward. I am not ADA but always notice things like that.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank WorfsBabyMama
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Atlanta / Gwinnet Place, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2016

Dear WorfsBabyMama,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the cleanliness of the room received and the kitchen amenities. However, we regret if you did not fully enjoy your stay due to the inconvenience the condition of the bed, air conditioning, and the WiFi connection may have caused you . Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that these concerns will be addressed to the hotel management for review to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Grace P.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 14 June 2016

The price is just as good as the stay. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable and affordable place, then look no further. The place is close to a food and entertainment as well as being right off the exit of I-85.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2016 via mobile

I stayed here for several weeks and was very pleased. The rooms are clean and the area is safe. Lots of foods choices nearby. After I checked out I realized I had left a prized child's toy in the room. I called back about 2 hours after checking out but the desk clerk was not helpful. I called back in another hour and got Steve Parker, he went to the room and saved this toy, mailed to me the next day!! He was great to take the time where the first lady would not. I hope the management knows what a treasure he is!!!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2016

We didn't intend to stay here originally but our car broke down around the corner. The staff was incredibly understanding of our situation and did their best to help us find a mechanic and feel at home. The room was a good size and had everything we needed to make the best out of being stranded in a different state.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2016

I would have posted a fairly positive review of this hotel since it was clean and accepted our small dog for a reasonable fee. But after they charged us for two nights instead of the one night we actually stayed, I feel this hotel management is dishonest. When we disputed this extra charge with the credit card company, Candlewood (IHG) actually still claimed the extra night's charge. This has been going on for over three months. In my opinion, for the sake of good customer service, they should have graciously conceded that they were wrong. Had they done this, I would have accepted it as an honest mistake but now I won't trust this company again.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary M
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Atlanta / Gwinnet Place, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2016

Dear Mary M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Candlewood Suites Atlanta / Gwinnet Pl Duluth, GA. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.