“Buffet Only at the Maple Restaurant”

Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 73 Restaurants in Dawsonville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Buffet Only at the Maple Restaurant”
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We ate at the Maple Restaurant in the Lodge for Dinner and Breakfast. Considering that you have to go all the way back into Dahlonega to get to another restaurant, they have a captive audience. The food is served buffet style, and is perfectly adequate. Dinner was beef or fish with several different side items, a soup/salad bar, and a dessert bar. As far as I could tell there was just the one waitress for the whole restaurant (luckily it wasn't anywhere near full), but she kept our drinks full as long as we flagged her down. Breakfast was about the same: the only hot items that they had were eggs, grits, and oatmeal. There was a waffle maker that made pretty decent waffles, plus the usual pastry/bagel/bread with a toaster. The beverages were serve yourself for breakfast, though the waitress did bring a pot of coffee to the table. If we came back to the Lodge, I would probably eat here again.

3 Thank Nymph74
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Atlanta
“No worth the money eat out way out.....”
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Not cracked up to get a good rating. Use your own judgement. But I would eat else where.

1 Thank vionner
Minnesota
“Great Meal”
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I don't care to eat at a buffet very often. The food sometimes looks like it's been sitting out too long, or looks generally mangled by other customers. I didn't have these problems at Amicalola Falls Lodge. We enjoyed a buffet full of delicious selections, and just about all the food looked fresh, neat and very edible. I liked everything I tried, and I went back for seconds on some items. My only complaint was that the desserts that were set out in large serving pans did look messy and unappetizing. Pie was available on individual plates, so that solved the problem.

2 Thank Katy1021
Atlanta, GA
“Be cautious with the buffet”
Reviewed 27 October 2008

I took my family and some guests to the lodge for lunch in mid-October 2008. It was at least tied for the title of worst dining experience of my life.
As is typical at that time of year, business was good, very good, at the lodge. A couple of small buses left as we arrived. After signing in for a table, I noticed that most of the tables were empty. A short time later, a large bus arrived and the tables were reserved for its passengers.
While those people were in line for the buffet, we were escorted to our table. More than half of the bus riders had gone through when we joined the line. As our party neared the first items, a salad bowl and the other fixings, I saw that the lettuce bowl was empty. I notified the lady who was handling the coffee/tea service and she verified my report. She then went to the the kitchen and apparently discussed the matter with colleagues who came out to check, one at a time. They then refilled the bowl. Other salad ingredients were added to the empty containers in the salad bar without changing the containers. That was, I thought, unsanitary as hands had been down in the containers as the contents emptied.
A uniformed law enforcement officer was wearing an apron and was putting plates into the servicing line. That seemed more than a little unusual, but we later learned that only two people were working the kitchen that day.
When we neared the entree service, the line stopped for at least ten minutes, yes, really. One tray was totally empty and others had only the barest amount of food. While we waited with the tail end of the bus line, others from the bus were coming back for seconds. They were too late.
When food did arrive, it was a very thin lasagna of the poorest quality I have ever seen. However, it was a case of taking what I could get, but I had to throw most of my serving away. As we were nearing the end of our meals, another entree, one tray of about a dozen or fewer stuffed chicken breasts was placed onto the serving line. It went quickly with people in line and others hurrying to get some.
The only food that seemed to be well stocked was the dessert bar. We made meals of anything we could get and called it a day.
When we went to the cashier and told her about the problems, she asked us if we had enough and did so more than once. An apology would have been nice because the employees had to be aware that the buffet was running poorly. We told her that we had food, but members of our party got no entree or had to split one, made meals of odds and ends or filled up on salads and desserts.
The very next day, another family member was on a bus trip that included the buffet at the lodge. That group was properly handled and had no complaints.
I would strongly urge anyone thinking of eating there to inspect the service line before being seated. Walking out may be inconvenient, but it beats feeling misused.
If the lodge cannot serve people, it should do the right thing and stop seating people for whom it does not have reservations or it should close until it can handle the demand. Putting people at tables when they cannot be given service that meets some normal standards is, in my opinion, unethical.

7 Thank IanAtlanta_GA