“Very average”

Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 28
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Enjoy Casual Fine Dining in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. Chef Eric,a world class Chef with over 30 years of restaurant experience, offers an ever changing fresh seasonal menu and a wine list with choices from around the world. Chef Eric also offers a nightly "Taste & Sip" Wine Pairing Dinner with 3 delicious courses perfectly paired with 3 fantastic wines for only $45! You can dine in any one of our distinctive rooms, our King George Room which reflects the feel of the 1867 Southern Vernacular Victorian, or our Riviera Room which makes you feel like your in the south of Spain or relax with some tasty hors d'oeuvres and a glass of delicious wine in our Central Wine Bar or choose to sip and nash in our Blue Mermaid Lounge. Come enjoy fresh local ingredients sprinkled with international flavor all served up with a heaping spoon of southern hospitality.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were excited to try the Darien River House during our recent stay in Darien. Unfortunately we left disappointed. The girl who waited on us was very nice but we found the food to be very average, especially considering the prices. They serve the same sides with basically every entree. A "rice pilaf" which was really just generic yellow rice and some sauteed veg that didn't seem to have any salt, butter or anything on it. I had a mojo pork entree that didn't have any discernable spice or Caribbean flavors. The sweet sauce on the pork was overpowering everything else.

The experience wasn't bad necessarily but for the price I would expect more refined, delicious cuisine. Unfortunately I can't recommend this place.

1  Thank ColeH77

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary here, the atmosphere was very romantic and the food was excellent, Chef Eric was the best host ever, Thanks!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We sat for one hour and twenty minutes before our food arrived, To make this short and sweet the steak was tough, no air conditioning for one reason or the other and dessert never arrived. This was one of the poorest dining experience's we have had in years.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stopped in Darien on way from Fl to Myrtle Beach, then on to NW Pennsylvania. Wanted something of local flair. Read reviews on line, decided to try it out. Saturday night so we called for reservation. No problem, dress was casual although "the tables have tablecloths" said the person who answered the phone. Sum the evening up by saying great meal, great service. Wish we lived close by. We'd be regulars. Hope to be back next year in mid-March. See u then!

1  Thank djh20639
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We visited Darien River House in the fall of 2013 for our anniversary dinner. We found it to be delightful. The building itself is an old house and the downstairs rooms are the dining rooms. The chef, Eric, is very talented. The food was excellent as was the service. We decided to go back for Valentine's Day. We made a reservation for 7:00. We walked in and it was packed. Some folks sitting near the front door said they were told someone didn't show up for work and they were running a bit behind. About 15 minutes later the hostess, Scottie, who I met on my previous visit, appeared. I attempted to check in with her and was told to sit in the wine bar and she'd get to us when she could. We went back to the wine bar and sat down. We were going to share a bottle of wine and hang out until our table was ready. My husband tried several times to get Scottie to help him with our wine selection but she did all she could do avoid making eye contact with him. Finally at 7:40 we left. I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to a nice, romantic dinner. The reason I rated it a 2 is because we had such a pleasant time on our first visit. Otherwise I would have given it a zero. I hope that Chef Eric can find someone to manage the place who truly cares and will keep people coming back. No matter how good the food is people are not going to pay for the lack of service.

1  Thank Col515