“Best little restaurant in Darien”
Review of Darien River House Restaurant - CLOSED

Darien River House Restaurant
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 28
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy Casual Fine Dining in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. Chef Eric,a world class Chef with over 30 years of restaurant experience, offers an ever changing fresh seasonal menu and a wine list with choices from around the world. Chef Eric also offers a nightly "Taste & Sip" Wine Pairing Dinner with 3 delicious courses perfectly paired with 3 fantastic wines for only $45! You can dine in any one of our distinctive rooms, our King George Room which reflects the feel of the 1867 Southern Vernacular Victorian, or our Riviera Room which makes you feel like your in the south of Spain or relax with some tasty hors d'oeuvres and a glass of delicious wine in our Central Wine Bar or choose to sip and nash in our Blue Mermaid Lounge. Come enjoy fresh local ingredients sprinkled with international flavor all served up with a heaping spoon of southern hospitality.
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stopped in Darien on way from Fl to Myrtle Beach, then on to NW Pennsylvania. Wanted something of local flair. Read reviews on line, decided to try it out. Saturday night so we called for reservation. No problem, dress was casual although "the tables have tablecloths" said the person who answered the phone. Sum the evening up by saying great meal, great service. Wish we lived close by. We'd be regulars. Hope to be back next year in mid-March. See u then!

1  Thank djh20639

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We visited Darien River House in the fall of 2013 for our anniversary dinner. We found it to be delightful. The building itself is an old house and the downstairs rooms are the dining rooms. The chef, Eric, is very talented. The food was excellent as was the service. We decided to go back for Valentine's Day. We made a reservation for 7:00. We walked in and it was packed. Some folks sitting near the front door said they were told someone didn't show up for work and they were running a bit behind. About 15 minutes later the hostess, Scottie, who I met on my previous visit, appeared. I attempted to check in with her and was told to sit in the wine bar and she'd get to us when she could. We went back to the wine bar and sat down. We were going to share a bottle of wine and hang out until our table was ready. My husband tried several times to get Scottie to help him with our wine selection but she did all she could do avoid making eye contact with him. Finally at 7:40 we left. I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to a nice, romantic dinner. The reason I rated it a 2 is because we had such a pleasant time on our first visit. Otherwise I would have given it a zero. I hope that Chef Eric can find someone to manage the place who truly cares and will keep people coming back. No matter how good the food is people are not going to pay for the lack of service.

1  Thank Col515
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We had been wanting to try Darien River House and decided on Valentine's Day. Hostess greeted us with news that the other server had an accident and they were short handed and trying to catch up. We were seated, served one drink and never approached again. The $30 buffet was mediocre and overpriced. Rolls were burned, oyster stew was more like celery soup - found one paltry piece of oyster at the bottom of bowl. One main dish on buffet - stuffed grouper was never refilled the whole time we were there. No second drink, no coffee, and had to get up and go ask to pay to get out of there. Won't be back.

1  Thank luvbda
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I have been to this rest. Several times and never had a bad meal, bad service or cold food! I live within 18 miles of the fine rest. The Sunday brunch was excellent and the food was plentiful and hot! Eric does a good job with this place and takes every opportunity to make you feel welcome. So please do not make your choice of eating on a couple of disgruntled people. To give a rest a poor rating just because it was closed.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We live in a city that offers amazing cuisine and yet we brought the owner/chef out of the kitchen to tell him how fantastic our meals were! This chef has thought of everything. We each selected a different three course meal accompanied by half glasses of the appropriately selected wines and savored every bite and sip. The shrimp bisque with sherry is the best I have ever tasted and hubby's mushrooms stuffed with blue crab were postiviely phenomenal. I had the rib steak which was cooked perfectly, tasted wonderful and was fork tender. My mashed potatoes were just slightly flavored with garlic and butter and the al dente sauteed green beans with a sprinkling of pecans were the perfect accompaniment. Husband had the incredible shrimp and grits with andouille sausage gravy which just blew him away. We both opted for the key lime pie. Oh my, simply yummy! This was a delightful meal in a lovely old house along the waterfront in beautiful downtown Darien. The owner/chef has used his head, not just preparing fantastic food but accommodating those who prefer to eat smaller amounts of food with a lot of variety. Each dish is available in small and normal sized servings as are the selected wines. We have dined all over the world and have never seen wines offered by the half glass. Gives one the opportunity to taste a wine before buying a bottle or in our case, just let us experiment with different tastes. Wonderful and attentive service as well. We enjoyed our evening at The Darien River House tremendously and went back to our B&B to thank the owner for sending us there. Of note: walking distance from The Open Gates B&B. A fantastic meal with cuisine absolutely up to world class standards!!! Darien is going to be our more frequent choice for a getaway!