“Two years later...Still a good place to stay in Commerce.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Commerce, GA
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Commerce
Douglas, GA
“Two years later...Still a good place to stay in Commerce.”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This is my second review on this hotel. My last one was a little over two years ago and wanted to voice my approval still that this hotel is a good hotel, with a great staff (especially Jodie and Lindsey). I stay here quite a bit throughout the year and sure you are bound to have a bad night here and there as no one is perfect, but anytime I've had an issue here they have always been hospitable and willing to try to fix the issue. I too am a platinum member and stay at quite a few Holiday Inn Express hotels and yet this hotel is on the older side of things it is still fine. The breakfast is ample and there is a good variety to choose from and they have a decent sized breakfast area. They also have a good sized meeting room if you need one of those. On a side note if you have time you can swing by the Tanger Outlets and pick up one of their coupon books and they have a coupon in it for 20% off or a room upgrade at this hotel most of the time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wofiii
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Rooms were relatively nice and clean even though it was very expensive compared to the competing motels (Comfort Inn, Hampton, Marriot). But I decided to give it a try (as I have been doing so far).

The front desk girl was extremely rude to the point where I was about to leave. If you are in the service industry you should be willing to cater to your guest's questions. All I did was ask her a simple question and she blew up in sarcasm. Really put a damper on my day.

Hopefully a one time thing but as a previous reviewer wrote, the staff is rude and incompetent even though the rooms are ok.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I had no issues staying in this hotel. The front desk clerk was super nice when I checked in. The room and clean and seemed larger than most rooms that I have stayed in.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Waycross, Georgia
Reviewed 11 September 2011

The rooms are big and everything else is as expected. I will definitely be back

• Stayed September 2011
Gainesville, Florida (home of the Gators!)
Reviewed 21 July 2011

First, they have plastic sheets. Literally, sheets lined with plastic, apparently to prevent “accidents”. This may come in handy for a small few, but I found it incredibly uncomfortable. Every time I rolled over it crinkled! If that doesn’t turn you off, read on…

Towards the end of June, late at night, I check myself, wife and two Daughters into this hotel. The room was quite dirty but it was late at night, the girls were tired… We made the best of it, then we opened up the sofa bed to find it filled with crumbled potato chips, never cleaned from one of the previous visitors. When I went to the front desk to get a couple blankets for my girls I mentioned how dirty the room was and the potato chips in the bed. No apology at all. Still we made the best of it.

The next morning I spoke with the General Manager who apologized profusely about the filthy room and the potato chips in the sofa bed. She even comped the room for me. My girls made the sofa bed up so we don’t look like slobs and we left the hotel. That would have been the end of this story except for a phone call I later received.

A four full days after I checked out I received a voice mail from the same manager telling me she would have to charge me for the two blankets I took. I called back, spoke to the front desk and asked them to put me on hold while they checked the sofa bed. Sure enough, a few minutes later they came back on and said the blankets were STILL folded up in the sofa bed exactly where my Daughters had left them 4 days earlier. To put this in perspective, the same sofa bed that was filled with someone's potato chips. The same sofa bed I had complained about to the GM. In the four days since we had checked out no one had bothered opening up the sofa bed to clean it. To me this is beyond disgusting.

I registered a complaint with the corporate office of Holiday Inn. Though apologetic, they said they could do nothing about it. I gave the hotel proprietor a chance to rectify this with a phone call but was told from the hotel, via the corporate office, that “the District Manager is unavailable and will not be calling”. I am submitting this review 4 weeks after the experience.

As a Platinum member with Holiday Inn it pains me to write such a review. But a free night, free bonus points… will never make up for a dirty room and even worse follow up customer service.

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere! Many other great hotels in Commerce!