“Long overdue return visit”
Review of Kilshanny House

Kilshanny House
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Kilshanny
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 14
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Friendly, family run business offering delicious home cooked food, a great pint and surprising creative events! Get off the beaten track to a family run rustic village Inn. Sample the flavour of our local village hospitality, warmly welcomed by Ban An Ti, Guiness, home baking, Caint agus craic!
Reviewed 19 September 2018

A great venue run by Aidan and Mary, the ambiance of Kilshanny House strikes you as you open the door, it's a Gem not to be missed and well worth a detour if in Galway or County Clare.
Marilyn had the Seafood Chowder ( minus salmon at Marilyn's request ) and says it's the one to set the standard by. Myself I had the Cottage Pie, after I had finished the dish looked like it hadn't been used. ( yes it was that good )
For afters I had the Blackberry/Apple Tart with Custard (it was that good my mouth is watering just thinking about it).
Marilyn had the Cheese Board, but what lifted it above others was Marys own Onion Marmalade.
So from us it's a big thank you to Aidan and Mary and the next time we are over in Ireland we will be sure to call in. (Note they are shut on a Wednesday)

Date of visit: September 2018
Mary B, Co-Owner at Kilshanny House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Dear George,

Thank you for your most kind words. We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a comprehensive and complimentary review. It was indeed our privilege and pleasure having you and Marilyn in Kilshanny House on your return visit to Ireland. Let's hope that Aidan and I are here to welcome you should you come back to the West coast of Ireland again!

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Where to begin? Lunch at Kilshanny House was an overall wonderful experience. The place is gorgeous - the perfect blend of classic pub and someone’s living/dining room. It felt cozy and homey. I wanted to move in there.

They offer the standard Guinness and Smithwicks along with local craft ales. For lunch, they had two options ready: cottage pie (like shepherds pie but with beef) and a seafood chowder. The bread is homemade and fresh. The cottage pie blew me away - earthy without being heavy and I could tell the herbs used were fresh fresh fresh. Mary, the chef, recommended that we save the bread to mop up the pie and I’m glad I took that advice.

We decided we had to try the dessert and ordered an apple blackberry crumble and the Guinness cake. Blackberries are in season, and you could tell. The crumble was just sweet enough and the custard topping was delicious. The cakes was wonderful too - somehow light and rich at the same time. It came with fresh whipped cream.

Mary came out and chatted with us for a while and she’s lovely. I wanted her to be my friend! I really hope I can come back here someday and visit Kilshanny House again. Until then, I’ll just wish I was there.

Date of visit: September 2018
Mary B, Co-Owner at Kilshanny House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Thanks so much for your comprehensive and complimentary review and photos which we very much appreciate.
It was indeed our privilege and pleasure having you and your family in Kilshanny House and glad that it was such a good experience for you.
We would be more than delighted to see you all again if and when you get to come again, let me know and I will have the kettle down and some home baked seasonal treats for you.

Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Lovely food. My husband had seafood chowder which was lovely. I had cheese salad which was very tasty.

Date of visit: July 2018

Hi Evanna,

Thank you for your kind and complimentary review. It was lovely having you and your husband for lunch and hope to see you again should your travels take you to this way.

Reviewed 23 July 2018

It did not take me long to figure out the Kilshanny House is a special place. I was struggling with driving in County Clare when I ran a tire off the shoulder passing a bus. We got a flat, and pulled over quickly only to block the Kilshanny House. It was early and they were closed, but that didn’t matter. Lovely Mary not only had no problem with my family and I sitting in front of the house until we could get going, she fixed us coffee and scones and brought us the number of a local mechanic. The coffee and scones were by far the best we had on our trip and the raspberry jam was amazing, with giant whole raspberries my family wanted to just eat it straight. Mary was as friendly and welcoming as can be and she refused to charge us! We snuck something down before we left anyway. The Kilshanny House itself was a beautiful stone Pub and B&B, the inside was a great mix of old architecture but clean and fresh decor. A lovely place and when I am back in Ireland I am going to make sure I get back there.

Date of visit: July 2018
Mary B, Owner at Kilshanny House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Dear Ronald,
Thank you for this glowing review. It was indeed my pleasure and privilege to meet you and your lovely family and in a way glad that your car got a flat in Kilshanny!

Look forward to serving you when you come back to Éire. Give me the heads up and I will have the kettle down.

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

We called here on our Wild Atlantic Way tour and had wonderful coffees and homemade scones with cream and Jam followed by Mary's homemade bread and butter pudding, what a treat. Mary and Aidan were very welcoming. I would highly recommend anyone to stop for a real Irish welcome in a beautiful pub

Date of visit: May 2018
Mary B, Owner at Kilshanny House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Hi Janice,
Thanks for making the time to leave a review which Aidan and I are delighted to receive. It was lovely having you and we are glad that you had a nice experience here at Kilshanny House while on your Wild Atlantic Way tour.