“Many thanks to our guide Dhana and Green Rinjani”

Green Rinjani Trekking
Ranked #6 of 84 Tours in Senaru
More attraction details
Owner description: Green Rinjani – Organize a trekking trip, plant a tree on Mount Rinjani, a part of our Eco-Friendly solutions for improving tomorrow’s environment. Don’t wait, plant a tree today! Plant a tree for the future! Welcome to Green Rinjani Trekking! We are a locally owned and operated, independent adventure company in Lombok, Indonesia. We organize trekking expeditions to Mount Rinjani, where our clients can plant their own trees to aid Indonesia’s reforestation effort. We provide well-trained and professional guides and porters, good quality trekking equipment, as well as Eco-friendly solutions that ensure we remain the only Rinjani trekking organizer that prioritizes the environment and sustainability in our operations. Reforestation is hugely important as it helps combat climate change, decreases the risk of bushfires, improves the quality and retention of soil which, in the long term, can have lasting benefits for agriculture. In fact, we could write a whole book on the benefits of planting trees! So come and join us on Mount Rinjani for some adventure trekking to the summit, to swim in hot springs, to help save the environment, and most importantly, to have some fun! It’s not just about YOU. It’s about the next generations too! Plant a tree on your trek to Mount Rinjani While trekkers become more and more concerned with environmental issues, we have decided to offer you an co-friendly trek to bring a positive impact on our beautiful volcano. The objective is not only to reach the summit, but also to offset the carbon emissions due to your plane travel and to leave a positive impact on the mountain by planting a tree at the beginning of the trek. According to Lonely Planet, each year about 60,000 international trekkers tackle Rinjani’s slopes. If all those trekkers took a few minutes to plant a tree on the way to the caldera, within a few decades, this could make a huge difference. Why should you plant a tree on Rinjani? Tropical forests are home to most of the world’s biological diversity. It is important to maintain this huge biological reservoir. Moreover, a significant portion of global greenhouse gas emissions come from deforestation and forest degradation. Reducing the deforestation rate is crucial to slow down global warming. Deforestation is a big issue in Indonesia, and Lombok is also being affected by the reduction in forest cover. Land conversions of forest to agriculture along with population growth and city expansions have considerably reduced the forest areas. Water springs respond to these changes, and as the demand for water increases, and the forested areas decrease, evidence shows that many springs have disappeared, leading to a situation of water scarcity, despite the tropical location and subsequent heavy rainfalls. What will you have to do? Just join us our program to climb Mount Rinjani!, Let our excellent and friendly guides and porters take care of you on Indonesia’s second-highest volcano! And don’t worry, our guides trek Rinjani every day and will take good care of your trees after you have left Lombok. Thanks and see you soon! GET CONNECTED WITH NATURE, Plant a tree for the future
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

It was really a memorable experience. My friend and I joined the 3D/2N trip, and we were taken very good care of all the way along the trip. I got knee injury the 2nd day after the summit, which made it very difficult to climb down. Dhana helped me carry my bag and supported me until the end of the trip. Without him, it would be impossible for me to finish the trip.

Highly recommend our guide and the company!

Date of experience: April 2018
"curry"
in 11 reviews
"amazing experience"
in 22 reviews
"spoke very good english"
"sleeping mats"
in 8 reviews
"great guide"
in 18 reviews
"rice"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Just completed the 3D/2N trek with Green Rinjani. Hard trek, but just awesome. My guide, Katot, was excellent & helped me get through the experience - one of the best things I have ever done. If you are going to do this trek book with Green Rinjani & you won’t be disappointed.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank John W
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I wanted to go to Lombok to climb Rinjani as part of an Indonesia trip and after much research opted to go with Green Rinjani. Partly this was due to their ‘green’ credentials and partly due to reports of their food being the best. WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED! The company owner Arie was in communication with us from the point we booked and was very helpful. They organised our transport from the port after we arrived from Bali and accommodation for the night before our trek (I can highly recommend the Rinjani Lodge option). On the morning of our trek we met our porters (lovely bunch of guys but no English between them) and our guide, friend and companion for the next 3 days - Basri. I cannot praise him too highly, he is a great guy, a great guide and a credit to the company (I think Arie should give him a pay rise because you couldn’t pay him too much!).

So what about the trek?
The trek is hard. Very hard. My wife and I hike quite a bit in the UK so thought we would find it easy but it’s not easy, not by any stretch of the imagination! It is however a wonderful and rewarding experience that I would recommend to anybody who likes an adventure and a challenge. But it shouldn’t be taken lightly, it’s the hardest physical feat that I have undertaken by a considerable margin.

But why Green Rinjani?
It’s simple, they are by far the best operator on Rinjani. We watched the other groups and felt bad for them. They had flimsy sleeping matts, some of them didn’t have enough food or water, no toilets etc etc. Whilst we had super comfy beds to sleep on, plenty of food and water, private toilet tent, table and chairs to eat on, lots of fresh fruit, coffee and more. I cannot over emphasise that our experience was much better for having gone with Basri and Green Rinjani.
And the food! Our porters somehow managed to make us some of the best food of our 3 weeks, on the side of the mountain! Gorgeous curry’s, delicious banana fritters, beautiful plates of fresh fruit - a true highlight!

In conclusion - there really is no competition on Rinjani! These guys are number one. Don’t look any further, Green Rinjani is the company that you should book with - without any doubt.

Say hi to Basri for me. What a guy!

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 15 January 2018

I was travelling solo and booked onto the 3D/2N summit and crater lake package with Green Rinjani, starting in Sembalun. I had researched and messaged a lot of the operators beforehand but decided to wait until I got to Senaru and could see what they were offering before parting with any money.

Green Rinjani were a little more expensive than some of the tours I'd seen however their eco ethos was appealing and I was suitably happy with the kit I was shown. It can be difficult to join tours as a single traveller but Green Rinjani were very helpful and placed me on a trek with a lovely Swiss couple around the same age (and hiking ability!) as me. I warned them in advance that I might have some problems with my knee from an older injury. We had a briefing (with dinner) the night before and had a chance to ask any questions and meet our guide - the amazing Adi!

We was picked up early the next morning and taken to the office for final kit distribution and transport to Sembalun. A short, scenic drive later (with a stop to register with the national park) we arrived amongst several other groups at the trail start. Our porters (absolute stars) were already loaded up and set off ahead of us at a daunting pace. We kitted up and set off at a much more sedate rate! Adi speaks excellent english and set a nice pace.

The first part of the walk was gentle through rolling grassland and we stopped for a brief break before the first bit of ascent, breaking another hour or so later for lunch at Position 1. Out porters had gone ahead and set up a tarp to shield us from the sun and started cooking the most delicious lunch: tempeh, fried chicken, rice, vegetables and then fresh fruit. All washed down with fresh coffee. We also got to plant our trees here and were reassured to see the porters pack away all the rubbish. This is the first of many points that the difference between GR and other trek companies became apparent - our food was quite clearly better as others looked hungrily up from their plates of Indomie before leaving the position with rubbish strewn.

The next section of the trip was somewhat more arduous as the path started to ramp up the crater rim. We started to meet other groups on the way down who cheered us with "its hard but its so worth it!" as mist closed in around us. We also started to encounter the monkeys and fend off their attempts to steal anything not nailed down as we took a longer rest at Position 3. The final section of the trek for day 1 was the hardest - the path is extremely steep in places and involves large steps up. With it being misty, it was at least cool but also difficult to tell progress. Adi was incredibly patient with me here, ensuring I didn't get left behind when my knee was hurting and offering me encouragement and chocolate biscuits. Then all of a sudden we cam out onto the crater rim - eerie in the mist. The relief that the climbing was over for the day was palpable and Adi led us through the made of trek groups to our encampment.

We were set up a little off the main ridge - the tents were good quality and sturdy with plenty of space. I fully expected to have to share a tent but it turned out I had one to myself (thank you to the porters)! I was so pleased to find a nice thick insulated sleeping mat and sleeping bag there too. Again, it was clear we were much better provided for than many others in flimsy tents with no sleeping mats. As we sat to rest the porters brought us banana chocolate pancakes and ginger tea to take the edge off what we realised was ravenous hunger. Our dinner was outstanding - Adi cooked up curry with chicken and fresh veggies, then we had more fruit and plenty of ginger tea before an early night. They are not joking when they say it gets bitterly cold at night - take thermals!

The 3am wake up call was painful. It was freezing and even the warm snack and tea didn't help much. We strapped on our head torches and all of our layers and Adi led us up to the ridge and turned toward the summit.

Its a long, arduous trek to the summit in the dark, with only the light flashes from other head torches ahead of you to give you an inkling of how far it is to go. Some places are ash and scree so you take one step forward and slide two back. As the sun started to rise, we realised we were on the final stretch and before we knew it we had made it. The view is unreal.

Back down to camp for breakfast and a rest then a descent into the crater. This part is tough - you will have to climb down sections and after already walking for nearly five hours, my legs were a little shaky. It was a relief to reach the lake at the bottom and stop for lunch. Again, the food was excellent, as was the chance to bathe our aching feet in the cold lake water.

Then we were off again for the last uphill - near vertical in places - to reach the opposite crater rim. We were all flagging at this point but Adi kept our spirits up and we made it to the top. We came across numerous people on this part of the trail who had simply been left behind by their guides and were rather disgruntled. Our camp was etched on the rim of the crater with a beautiful view of the peak we had scaled earlier and all the way over the Gili islands to Agung on Bali.

After a very comfortable nights sleep, the final descent took us through the jungle, Adi pointing out the different plants and animals as we went, including wild orchids and coffee. This was a welcome change from the rocky slopes and savannah. Before we knew it we were walking into Senaru and the trek was done.

Tired and sore but very happy, I stayed another night in Senaru before Green Rinjani shuttled me to my boat to the Gilis. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

There is a lot of trash on the mountain, from unscrupulous companies and lazy trekkers so it was extremely encouraging to see our porters cleaning up areas and making sure all of our rubbish was brought down.

Adi is an absolute legend - supportive, encouraging, knowledgeable, funny and a great cook! I couldn't have wished for a better guide. He must have been exhausted but kept a smile on his face - can safely say I wouldn't have made it up there without him and am very grateful to him.

The service from start to finish was excellent and I really cannot recommend Green Rinjani enough. I am so, so glad I paid that little bit extra and went with them because it made the whole experience so much more enjoyable. When I return to Indonesia, I will certainly consider taking their Tambora trek.

Thank you Green Rinjani!

Date of experience: April 2017
6  Thank Amyce24
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

We went in a group of 4 and opted for a 4D3N package. One day before the hike where we settled in Senaru village, we were briefed on the itinerary for the next 4 days at Green Rinjani office. Trekking poles were available for rent.

Day 1: Breakfast was served (Banana pancakes and hot tea) before we set off for adventure. Met our tour guide Cakra and 4 porters. Cakra speaks English reasonably well and is an experienced hiker. He led us trekking past pos 1 and pos 2 where the porters have laid mats and set up shelter for us to break for lunch and rest our tired legs after trekking all morning. Boy, lunch was good. The porters made pumpkin soup with toasted bread, mee goreng (fried noodles), nasi goreng(fried rice), fried crackers and fruits. Carbonated drinks, hot drinks and biscuits were also available. We were well fed indeed. After lunch, we resumed trekking up pos 3 and eventually reached Senaru Crater Rim. Our resting tents were already set up by the porters before we arrive and we were greeted by a magnificent view of the crater in the evening light. It was freezing cold when night falls and we were served dinner(fried bananas with grated cheese, curry chicken with rice and hot chocolate) in our tents.
At 1 am, we were woken up by our guide for a quick breakfast before setting off for the summit - to reach before sunrise.

Day 2: After lunch (burgers & fries, fruits and hot chocolate) we set off downhill to Segara Anak Lake. The way down was pretty rocky and slippery. Cakra was always there to lend us a hand and accomodate to our pace of hiking and at the same time keeping track of the time to ensure we reach the lake before dusk. Again, our campsite was ready upon our arrival and the lake was beautiful at dusk. We had noodle soup for dinner and freshly popped popcorn for dessert!

Day 3: Hotspring in the morning followed omelette w fries breakfast before our next ascend to Sembalun Crater Rim. The ascend was tiring but was made better by the delicious lunch (or maybe we were just famished). After lunch it was the descend and spent a long time weaving through the trees and shrubs. Managed to reach the campsite just when it starts to get dark. It was our last night and the porters made a campfire. We had gado gado for dinner and it was warm and nice.

Day 4: Time for the final descend and we were back in green rinjani office for a shower before heading to the airport to catch our flight.

What is really commendable is our tour guide Cakra went above and beyond in meeting our needs. Offering to help with our load, being patient and supportive when we were slow, lending us his slippers and climb barefooted, catching moths in our tent and his ability to think out of the box - using butter as lubricant when we had caused out tent’s zip to get stuck. He also has a quirky sense of humor and really easygoing.

As part of the green rinjani movement, we each planted a tree and tour guides and porters were picking up trash with them as they trek through the mountains to dispose off when they return to the office.

It was a really great experience with Green Rinjani and would highly recommend it

Date of experience: October 2017