“Doughnuts to Rave About!!”
Review of Yummies Donuts

Yummies Donuts
Ranked #2 of 3 Bakeries in Venice
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 15 October 2018

All my fiends and neighbors kept talking about this doughnut shop as being the best they had ever had. To me a doughnut was a doughnut. Well, I have changed my mind. Now, I am in agreement with each of them that “Yummies” makes the best doughnuts ever. Whether you are a sweet eater or not, you have to try this shop. Apple fritters to die for!

Date of visit: September 2018
Yummies D, Owner at Yummies Donuts, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Thank you for stopping by. We truly appreciate your terrific review and you kind words. We are so happy that you are part of the Yummies family. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Stopped in this morning and got two jelly donuts. The charge was $4.90. This for the exact same donuts that WalMart will sell for .58 a piece. Sorry but this place is just a place to throw your money away at.

Date of visit: October 2018
Yummies D, Owner at Yummies Donuts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Our large donuts range from $1.33 to $3.50. The higher priced donuts come from our specialty or cocktail line of donuts. Most people say our huge apple fritter feeds 3 to 4 people. Our prices are in line with other gourmet donut shops, one of which is located in Sarasota. We are truly sorry you were so upset with Yummies about spending $4.90, that you went on social media and gave us 2-star review.

We are also sorry you feel that the price of the donuts didn't met the value you received. Each donut is hand rolled, hand cut, added to the fryer in small batches, hand filled and/or decorated. As a small family business, we work tirelessly to give our customers the best possible products, with the best possible ingredients. Being a small business, we do not have the large buying power that Walmart, Dunkin or Publix has for the ingredients such as flour, sugar, butter, vanilla or eggs. Nor do we have the space to store it. We choose not to pump our products with additives or preservative to give them a longer shelf life. We offer a product that was made in our shop daily and not pre-fried, frozen and shipped in from who knows where. We also hire the best quality people and pay them a living wage, so that can offer our outstanding customer service and a very clean environment. Our general liability, workers comp, auto and health insurance goes up every year, as do our property taxes, federal, state and payroll taxes. People have no idea how many donuts we have to sell just to pay the $4,000 monthly rent or the $1,500 monthly FPL bills. It is extremely difficult for small businesses to survive. That is why so many don't. We fight our way through every single day.

Another critical part of our story is that we had no choice but to move. Our old building was being torn down and replaced with a new storage facility. It was either move or go out of business, which we very strongly considered. The government impact and permit fees, as well as the higher rent, kitchen build out, moving, among many other things, was close to $100,000.00. It will be a very long time before we can pay it off. Some days we question whether it was worth all the stress, no time off, no vacations and our regular 70 hour work weeks. It's too late now because we are in it and we sacrificed everything to keep it going, which sadly includes our home.
We would like to invite you to spend the night watching, how labor intensive it is, to hand make scratch donuts. You will quickly learn that if we charged $0.58 a donut, we would be out of business. It is hard to hear that you feel like you threw money away and that you are warning others not to do the same. We hope it is not your intention of this review for others not to patronize Yummies. It would be a big disappointment for us, our team, our vendors and our long time, loyal customers.

Many, many people love Yummies and think it is a very special place. Thankfully the community has rallied behind us and are supporting Venice's only gourmet donut shop. We are praying that we can stay in business and keep supplying our community, with great products that so many enjoy. I’m sure Walmart appreciates your business and your fierce loyalty for their cheaper donuts. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share a small part of our story.

Karen

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Yummy’s has the best donuts in the area. We can’t wait to come back during Christmas week and try their barbecue also.

Date of visit: October 2018
Yummies D, Owner at Yummies Donuts, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Thank you so much for this awesome review! We are so glad you like our donuts! We truly appreciate you sharing your kind words on social media. During your Christmas visit maybe you can try our Sticky Pig Sandwich. It is pulled pork on a glazed cinnamon bun donut. It was recognized in Sarasota, Venice and SRQ Magazine, Venice Gondolier, Sarasota Herald and the Food Network Magazine. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

I am new to this area and went there in July and I got 3 donuts and was charged $7.00 and some change.. so not sure what their pricing was and I thought perhaps one of the donuts was a premium I let it go but even if that was the others where just basic donuts a glazed donut and a chocolate long john(or stick). so I thought I would let it slide thinking I got double billed for an item so went back again just this past week and still 3 regular donuts cost me $7.00 so the donuts are just okay the place in North Port is better tasting and much much cheaper. I was hoping it would be cheaper to support local versus DD or driving back to North Port.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

These are the best donuts in the world ! We got a variety of flavors. They have everything from key lime filled to a sticky pig ( glazed donut with bbq pork in between ) I highly recommend this place! It’s tiny so Carry out is best . Also they have black gold cold brew coffee ! My teenagers loved the flavors. All made fresh daily

Date of visit: August 2018
Yummies D, Owner at Yummies Donuts, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Thank you for this AWESOME review. We are honored that you and your teenagers enjoy our products. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and kind words on social media. It touches our hearts. We are blessed to have all of you as part of our Yummies family.