“Deluxe gulf view did not live up to expectations.”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Reviewed 6 December 2010

As my photos demonstrate, the extra expense of the deluxe gulf view was some what compromised by the eye sore. What I did not expect was to be woken up by jack hammers at 8:00 AM. What I did expect was to be lulled asleep by the gentle gulf surf. That did not happen as the water was over 500 feet away.

Suffice it to say, the deluxe gulf view did not live up to expectations.

That been said, the resort amenities were adequate. The room was clean, the
bed was comfortable, the staff was pleasant, and the kitchenette was fully equipped.
The bathrooms were small. If you can't towel dry yourself without banging your elbows against doors and walls, then the bathroom is small.

Sloppy Joes, attached to the resort was great. Happy hour from 3-6 PM and after 9:00 PM. The drinks are stiff. There are no activities at the resort.

The location was excellent, walking distance to everything. Walgreens across the street (full liquor service) and Publix a block away. Robbie T's was fun. Foxys had a friendly diner feel to it and the food was good and fairly priced. The Pearl restaurant was very good, where the chef remembers you by name. All these venues were a short walking distance across the street. John's pass, approximately 1.5 miles north on Gulf Boulevard is a must. There are plenty of restaurants and souvenir shops, including Bubba Gump Shrimp. Enjoy a beverage and watch the dolphins play in the water.

Overall the resort was very good. I'd probably not return only because there is literally
dozens of resorts to choose from and there is not enough unique incentives to tantalize me back without looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Dear Mr. G.I.,

Please accept my apologies for the noise and poor scenery as a result of the south pool renovation under way during your recent visit. While occasional repairs and upgrades are necessary it is always better to alert you in advance and offer alternatives. After short notice by the contractor I made the decision to proceed to avoid being put behind another project elsewhere. As we communicated by email I fully agree your cost of upgrading was not a good value and have processed the refund to you by check. Regarding the bathroom size; we do have larger Gulf Front Efficiencies that may better meet your needs. This accommodation, located by the north pool offers a larger bathroom with a changing/vanity area that is more comfortable than the standard bathrooms in the studios. It also provides a larger kitchen area with granite breakfast bar.

Again, I do sincerely apologize for your inconvenience and would welcome the opportunity to win back your confidence in the Bilmar Beach Resort.

Best regards,

Clyde Smith

Reviewed 6 December 2010

This was our first trip to Treasure Island. We very much enjoyed our stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort. I booked online and requested a top floor, quiet room. We got a room in the tower on the 7th floor (below the Penthouse). The view from the balcony was terrific. The room was very quiet. We experienced great service at Sloppy Joe's and the band there was talented and entertaining. We also had great service at the breakfast place in the main building behind the lobby. There are other quaint eateries and bars just across the street. The rooms look as though they have been recently redecorated. The free wireless works great and the flatscreen TVs are nice. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I wanted to stay at the Bilmar because I stayed there 30 years ago and I wanted to relive an old experience, BAD MOVE!! I reserved a oceanfront balcony room. I received that, but wasn’t told that my view would basically be looking out at ~50 trashy vendor tents and a music stage that would bang LOUD MUSIC that would vibrate my entire room until 10:30 one night and 10:45 the next night! Sure the city had a beach event and yes it was listed on Bilmar’s website, though slightly buried and it never said anything about “LOUD” music and trashy tents. My complaint to the front desk was answered by “sir, you reserved online, so we had no way to contact you”. DUH–when I reserved online I was required to give my phone number and e-mail address, so explain how you didn’t have a way to contact me??? Seems you had a way to contact me because you sent me a reservation confirmation online. People who are paying ~$150 a night for a beachfront balcony unit should have been told about this event and the inconvenience it may cause. After all, I’m sure everyone wasn’t at the hotel for this event. When “Mister we had no way to contact you” didn’t please me, I asked for a manager and I spoke about 15 minutes to a manager who told me she could maybe relocate me within her hotel, but I’d still hear the music. She also offered to find me a room at a sister property, if she could. These weren’t acceptable, I booked an oceanfront balcony room and that was what I wanted, minus the trashy tents and LOUD music. What I wanted was to be able to leave the hotel, I was only there 5-6 hours when I complained, and seek my own choice of another hotel without paying Bilmar a penalty–she said NO. So I was stuck, she finally offered me a meager pittance off the room and I said not acceptable. So she bumped it up a little, so I got a little more mere pittance off the rate, still very unhappy, but I had no other choice unless I wanted to forfeit $150 to walk away. Some people may have enjoyed the loud music, but not me. Now let’s talk about parking. They have spaces at the hotel and across the street. When I arrived Friday, they had 2 adults in the parking lot placing cones on open spaces so paying customers could have a place to park–luckily I got one. They gave me a piece of paper to place on my dashboard to indicate I was a paying hotel guest. Saturday was the main event on the beach and I went to a football game so I had to reluctantly give up my space and when I returned late afternoon there were no spaces either at the hotel or across the street. After 15 frustrating minutes of searching for one, I left my car running and went into the office and a guy told me I could park in a hashed line area or anywhere illegally on their property I could find and I wouldn’t be towed because of the placard on my dash. I found exactly one tiny area I could barely squeeze my car into without blocking anyone else. They had a young kid in the parking lot but all he did was sit in his chair and talk to his friends. He never moved during the 3 or 4 times I passed him during a several hour period, he never attempted to keep parking spaces open. He sure had a gravy job; the Bilmar actually paid him to sit in his chair and talk to his friends? Now other hotels in the area had signs that parking was for hotel guests only–why didn’t the Bilmar? Guess all they cared about was getting money from event goers who were buying their inflated-priced drinks in their restaurants? Bilmar did have a sign that there was parking on the beach for $12, but why pay that when you could park in a Bilmar spot for free and no one cared to keep event goers out. I thought I paid $150 a night for a room AND a parking spot? Sunday when it was time to leave, I saw a guy and 1 cone placed in an open space. Oh by the way, don’t ever order the crabcakes at their Sloppy Joe’s restaurant. I used to live in the Chesapeake Bay area and I know what crab cakes are supposed to be like. Sloppy Joe’s crabcakes are the size of a golf ball, not the size of a normal burger and there are maybe 3 or 4 “flakes” of crab meat and 95% bread stuffing. The worst excuse for crab cakes I have ever had, and they were the most expensive item on the menu, which was posted at the door–but listen to this, the menu they gave you inside had higher prices than the menu posted at the door–another rip-off scam? When I asked I was told the prices went up. Let’s talk about the bathroom of my room. Upon arrival in the room, I used the bathroom and when I turned on the fan, it made loud screeching noises–they did replace this right away, but that was before I complained about the music. It was slightly bigger than the size of an airplane bathroom, you could touch all the walls by standing in the middle of the room and outstretching your arms. If you opened the shower curtain you could not use the toilet, that is how tight space was. Dirt was encrusted in the corners of the floor with little black bugs running all around–did I call the manager? Of course not, she obviously had no concern to satisfy me, so why even frustrate yourself trying to complain. Also half the lights in the room didn’t work because they were unplugged? So I struggled to move heavy furniture and plugged them in and then they worked. Now why do they unplug half the room lights–to save money? Why didn’t the maids hear the bathroom fan and ask for it to be replaced–by the look of the bathroom floors, they may have barely even cleaned the bathroom, just replaced the towels. The maids also didn’t even replenish my soap/toiletry bottles the 2nd day–another way to save money? The TV was so bright I couldn’t even see the lines on the court of a basketball game I was trying to watch. I looked, but found no controls to fix this. Of course I didn’t call, no one seemed to care about customer satisfaction so why even upset yourself by trying to talk to someone who doesn’t care. I never called on any of these things after my first experience with the incompetence and rigidity of the manager on duty. I have one more “unsanitary” item to mention, they have 4 or 5 pillows on each bed, but the largest pillow is too large for the pillowcase they put on it–so several inches of pillow that is sneezed on, coughed on, and who knows “what else on” by everyone who ever stayed in that room sticks out. Needless to say I just tossed that pillow on the floor and never touched it after that. Talk about catching a disease just waiting to happen. Come on Bilmar, buy pillowcases BIG enough to fit your pillows! Now before Manager Clyde Smith answers this as he has other reviews–where was he during my 2-night stay and why wasn’t I permitted to talk to him and why didn’t he get involved to help resolve this horrible experience? Obviously the manager I spoke at length to never passed on to her boss that a guest was unhappy, see how she cares about her job and satisfying guests? By just letting me walk away from this room without penalty after being there maybe 5-6 hours, everything would have been solved–I wouldn’t have been totally happy, but happier than having to pay my hard earned money to suffer through 2 miserable nights there. My balcony was useless, I couldn’t sit out there and enjoy the beach and the ocean, you couldn’t even hear yourself think with the loud blaring music and the balcony vibrating. I’m surprised Treasure Island doesn’t have a noise ordinance to stop such LOUD noise–but wait it was an event sanctioned by the City of Treasure Island! It seems all the Bilmar cares about is making money and inconveniencing their paying guests to satisfy their event goers to their event on the beach. They also charge a ridiculous $1 per local phone call, I’ve never seen a charge this high, most decent hotels offer free local calls–again, Bilmar tries to make money, not provide customers with a happy experience. I guess it just my bad luck to try and relive what was a pleasant 30-year old experience by choosing a weekend they had a major event. This should have been boldly shown on their website, not buried under events with no explanation of exactly WHAT exactly was going to happen. I’m sure they would have filled the hotel with people who wanted to attend this event even though they may have lost some customers who booked and didn’t want to experience the extreme hassle and inconvenience. But who cares about the paying guest? Certainly not the Bilmar in the year 2010, it seems to me that I remember they did when I stayed there 30 years ago.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2010

Dear Sir,

I sincerely regret your displeasure with your recent visit to the Bilmar Beach Resort. We strive to provide a great beach getaway and it is disappointing to the entire staff when we fail to meet that goal with any guest. Although the Sanding Ovations Master Sand Sculpture and Music Festival were listed on our web site I will make a greater effort to highlight on any reservations staying over these dates. The 4 day international sculpting event is the highlight of the 5 Festivals held annually on Treasure Island and is generally regarded as one of the finest in the areas. I can understand your surprise to see a festival on our oversized beach if you were not expecting it.

There appears to be some confusion on the options offered by the Manager on Duty. Our records indicate you were offered assistance to relocate to an area of the resort further away from the festival, although the various jazz and other bands could still be heard from your balcony, or with making arrangements at another area hotel with no penalty for checking out. We do not have a sister property on the Gulf Coast so that option would not be possible for us to deliver. The manager tried to appease your choice of staying by reducing your room rate by 33% each night. I apologize if this did not get communicated to your effectively.

While parking at any beach can be a difficult task we do take many steps to protect our 300 spaces. The cones to mark guest spots, parking passes and a parking attendant you mentioned are examples of this effort. Saturday night did get very hectic with the awards ceremony and fireworks on the beach. I am glad you secured a parking spot and apologize for the delay and apparent lack of assistance you experienced.

Your comments regarding the room quality and Sloppy Joe’s Crab Cakes have been shared with the appropriate staff members. Both departments pride themselves on quality and are known for receiving positive reviews. We will strive to improve our services and exceed our guest’s expectations.

As the Bilmar Beach Resorts begins our 50th anniversary it is the entire staff’s intention to deliver superior service and amenities. As a landmark hotel and business of the year for 2009 we believe we meet those goals on most occasions. I hope we have the opportunity to meet your needs in the future should your travels bring you back to the Tampa Bay area.

Clyde Smith

Reviewed 13 November 2010

This hotel has several advantages: on the beach, on-site resturant, pleasent staff. Disadvantages: hotel is on a busy street, hear all night long the motorcycles and cars due to the exterior corridors.

Ride down to Sunset Beach for some fabulous dophin watching!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2010

Dear Karin,

Thank you for sharing with others that Treasure Island has fantastic views and unforgettable sunsets. While almost all of our rooms face the great T.I. Beach they also have corridors exposed to the eastern side of town which includes the many restaurants, shops and Gulf Blvd. A great option for your next visit would be to enjoy our Gulf Front Efficiencies in the Beaches Building. It offers a courtyard location for the corridors near the north pool and still has great beach views from the balcony. It is a fun location near the Sundeck and Bazzie’s Beach Café; but don’t worry we make sure all the music is off by 10pm so our guests can have a good nights sleep. We hope to see you back soon.
Clyde Smith – General Manager

Reviewed 11 November 2010

Great hotel! I am a clean freak and I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel. The room was newly refurbished and very clean. The bath was granite. Coffee pot in the room and a 'fridge and microwave. Flat screen TV. SLOPPY JOE'S Bar & Grill on the premises.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple