“We keep going back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Clinton, Iowa
“We keep going back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

This hotel/complex is perfect for relaxing and unwinding. The rooms are clean; the service at the restaurant (Sloppy Joe's) and beach bar (Bazzies) is great, and the staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
Fairbanks, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

Our room was cheerily painted and decorated, immaculate and overlooked the beach as advertised. Also, it appeared to be well insulated as Sloppy Joe's Bar was below us, and with the door closed, virtually none of the evening noise bothered us. There were two problems though. One was when we showed up about 4:30PM our room was not ready yet. Which surprised me. But if you look, it does say check in time is 4PM which is later than what I am used to. And they did get it ready shortly after our arrival. Before 5PM. Just letting people know, so you won't be surprised as we were.

The other problem was the A/C. Our room was extremely hot when we got there, but the AC was off. So we turned it on, and went to dinner with relatives that live in the area. When we got back, the fan was running but no cool air, so I called the front desk. They sent someone up right away. He said the compressor was not working properly, fiddled with it, and made sure to show us how he fiddled with it and it started producing cool air. And he made a note it needed looking into. Well, during the night it kicked off again. And we just didn't feel like having someone come up yet again, and when I fiddled with it, it didn't come back on. I tried opening the door and let the cool breezes cool off our room but some yahoo was standing down by the pool on her cell phone talking very loudly. She was the only noise out there and this certainly was not the hotel's fault. Anyway, we seat it through. I told they front desk upon check out and they apologized again and very sincerely. And judging from what I have read, I am sure they have fixed the unit and promptly.

But otherwise, a lovely room and yes, the street wads rather crazy out there, but given the time of year, that was to be expected.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

Had the best vacation at the Bilmar! Great for both relaxation and fun. Beautiful, white sand beaches of the Gulf of Mexico are steps from your door. Stayed in Ocean view Studio in Tower building; 2 Queen beds, flat-screen TV with cable, wi-fi access, fridge & microwave and balcony overlooking the beach. Great restaurant, "Sloppy Joe's" (Old Key West & Ernest Hemmingway!), good food, music & people. There is an additional restaurant "Bazzie's" on the Beach for casual eats and cocktails. There are 2 fabulous pools and sun-deck, along with 24-hour fitness center. Staff welcoming and professional. Resort and rooms clean and modern. Will be back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

This is a great, locally owned, resort hotel right on the beach in St. Petersburg FL. Our room had beach views, had updated furnishings and fixtures and was very clean. We had the Gulf Front Efficiency Suite which worked out great for the two of us. It had 2 beds, a mini fridge and microwave. All we had to do to get to the beach was walk down the stairs out onto the sand.

They will give you a tag for parking in the main lot in front of the hotel - we were able to find spots each day in this lot. If that fills up there are 200 additional spaces in the overflow lot across the street next to Walgreen's. There are also two pools on site if you prefer that to the clear Gulf water. There are two restaurants on site - Sloppy Joes for lunch and dinner, and Bazzies that does breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had breakfast and dinner at Bazzie's on different days. Both times we got good service, good food and huge portions. We ate lunch at Sloppy Joes and they were also good.

We spent most of our time on the beach but there are a lot of things to do nearby. John's Pass Village and Boardwalk has a ton shopping. Busch Gardens isn't far. The Salvador Dali museum is a 20 min drive into St. Petersburgh (this is a great museum, parking in the free spaces is limited though so expect to pay $5 to park in the garage). On the way there are tons of places to eat and go out. Right along the strip right outside the hotel there are many shops and restaurants that are within walking distance. Two nights in a row we walked a couple of blocks up the street from the hotel to Middle Grounds, an amazing restaurant that is open for dinner every day. They use all fresh ingredients and they almost always have a "fresh caught" fish special. There is also a good Mexican restaurant right across the street. The inside is more like a bar but out back they have tables where you can sit an enjoy some great food.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amalthea345
media, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

After a long, cold, snowy winter in the northeast I longed for the warmth of Florida. In 2010 my husband and 20 yr. old son stayed here for the first time as a home base to travel to Phillies spring training games. This year I decided to travel along (minus the games). I reserved our room in Jan. and waited anxiously for March to arrive. I reserved a beach front balcony room the same that my husband had the previous year. We arrived and I couldn't wait to sit on the balcony and gaze at the sunset, beach and water. So, imagine my displeasure when going to the balcony and finding a 4 foot wall around the entire balcony. You almost had to stand to enjoy any view. I was very upset as my husband said their room last year had a railing, not a wall. I politely went to the front desk to plead my case. I explained how disappointed I was having looked so forward to the view from the balcony and stating that it should be disclosed that that particular room DOES NOT have a view equal to the rooms with a railing. Needless to say, Heather was very polite and checked many options to try to find us another room. She was unable to find anything but promised she would continue to check for us as she was working until ll:00 that evening. I thanked her for trying and thought that was that and I would NEVER return to the Bilmar again. We proceeded to Sloppy Joe's to have dinner As we were dining Heather came into the restaurant hoping we meant be there. She asked if I could spare a moment and go with her to see another room that had an amazing view. I did, and it was a beautiful room with an outstanding balcony view. It is so difficult to get good customer service today so when Heather did all this for us, she restored my faith by giving us outstanding customer service. We spent 3 nights in that room and had to move to another room for our 4th night and Heather made sure it was also a lovely room. Thank you Heather for making my experience at the Bilmar a delightful one. I hope your manager realizes what a dedicated employee he has in you.

To the manager: You should make your customers aware of the rooms that have such an obstruction to the view. It is not a pleasant surprise unless you know ahead of time and it doesn't matter to you. Are you very lucky to have such a dedicated and courteous employee on your staff. Do what it takes to keep her!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Dear Mrs. Schultz,

Thank you for recognizing Heather’s outstanding dedication to customer service. She is truly a shining star on my already hospitable Team. I apologize for your original disappointment in your guest room view. While most hotels and a couple of rooms with some view obstruction I agree it is best to alert this to the guest before they check in and offer options if available. I will work with the guest services staff to better assign this room to an appropriate and hopefully volunteering party in an effort to exceed each guest’s expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor fans and for communicating your positive experience with Heather.

Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager