New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Reasonably priced, quiet, honest Folks” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Suncoast Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Treasure Island
Suncoast Motel
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Braidwood
“Reasonably priced, quiet, honest Folks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

we stayed 8-days at the Suncoast October '2011 and had a great time !
The location is convenient to alot of activities in the area. Anna was quite hospitable and made sure your stay was all you anticipated. One thing sticks out in my mind is that my wife left her travel case of jewelry in the room after we checked out and not a piece was missing when we called looking to see if they had it.
The swimming pool is quite larger than many of these vintage motels.
To sum it up, it was a just good freindly experience in all

Room Tip: the ground floor is terrific
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank c2ClearwaterBeach
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

This is an update on my review of last year on Suncoast Motel and a warning! Hah!!! What I read in the latest negative reviews is almost the same as what I am going to post now. This year’s experience (our second stay at Suncoast Motel) was not as pleasant as it was last year. We reserved an efficiency room for the last three nights in August and a one bedroom apartment for the first five nights in September. Our efficiency room was probably the smallest of all from that category and not as sunny as the website picture. More unpleasantly, it was not clean. I would suggest before you take the room key to have an attentive look at the room the owner is offering you. Pay close attention to the walls, ceiling, the fan, the carpet, the bed covers and the chairs. You may see a lot of dust and even dirt under the beds if you dare to move them. When I wanted to change the room and to move into the one bedroom apartment previously reserved for us on September 1st, the first room the owner offered was a stinky apartment with an intense smell of cigarettes and smoke. Then I have checked a number of the other one bedroom apartments but none of them were worth moving in, so we kept staying in the efficiency room. I think that I did not have preferential treatment because I am not Polish and I do not have a Polish accent. I also experienced a very businesslike but rather unfriendly treatment from the owner and a young lady (the daughter perhaps) during payment at the end of our stay. They charged a higher rate for September because it was around Labor Day. On their website and flyers there was no indication that we had to pay a higher rate in September than for August. Also there is no posted information about whether the rates include taxes. A stinky experience overall! Be wary!

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank nina_swims
Wauconda, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

My previous review that I posted over a year ago still stands and I wish not to change a word that I wrote but I want to tell everyone that the wonderful owners of the Suncoast Motel in Treasure Island FL recently bought the property that is literally next door to them. In saying that, that older building was run down and needed a lot of work which I'm sure the owners will be and are in the process of remodeling the rooms and exterior just as they did with the main property as well.

In short, if you choose to stay at the Suncoast Motel in Treasure Island Florida, have a little patience and believe me when I tell you that the building they purchased will be looking spectacular sooner than later. With any new remodeling purchase, everything takes time but I can personally attest to how wonderful these owners are and how much care and love they have put into the motel will be rolled over into the addition as well.

Room Tip: The suites are really nicely remodeled and have a personal balcony looking out to the water. Very ca...
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank krystyna523
Hamilton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

We booked the Suncoast on a recomendation from a friend who has been going there for years.
My initial impression was not good. Upon opening the door to my room. I sighed out loud. Old, outdated, not so clean. Yikes, what had I got myself into? My son and family had a one bedroom apartment across the courtyard from me. Both of our rooms were closest to the patio/pool area. The first night we were exhausted from a long day of traveling and we were kept awake by all of the loud guests in the pool area.

The next day I asked to be moved, and my request was granted. Second floor near the street, much better. Nicer room, and much quieter.

The second night my daughter in law woke to a roach/palmetto bug crawling across her face. She, then asked to be moved. The employee/owner said that only a few rooms have this bug problem, and as far as we know, she was telling the truth, because we did not see any bugs in the rooms that we were moved to. The owner moved them to a suite, which was pretty nice, and much appreciated.
The owners were very gracious, and took our concerns seriously. They were friendly and welcoming.

There were other problems, a microwave that would only work if you put it on 1 minute (had to restart many times to cook a baked potato), just barely warm water in the bath and sinks, very limited dishes and utensils, stained linens, etc.

Now, on to the good things! The location is great, handy to the grocery store, Johns Pass, etc. The beach was absolutely the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The pool was clean, uncrowded. The charcoal grills were great. The courtyard was very nice, and we enjoyed sitting out there in the evenings. The price per night was a great deal. Where else can you stay on the beach for these prices?
We would go back, in fact, we plan to go back next year. This time we will no better what to expect. and which rooms to ask for.
If you're a clean freak, this may not be the place for you. If you're not too picky, and you are looking for a friendly place at a great price, try the Suncoast!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KarenSi
Schagen, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Because of the 4th of july we had a hard time finding something, that must be said. So we maybe should just be happy that we had a place to stay for three nights. I’d rather sleep in my car! Upon arrival Sylvia, the lady at the front desk, told us we had a ‘beach villa’. We booked over the phone, so ok if that is what they call it. Of course we looked first at tripadvisor and at the website of the motel, and the reviews weren’t that bad, except for the attitude of the owner. When we emailed them first there were no rooms available. Because of a cancellation we got an email back which said they did have vacancy. So we didn’t know exactly what kind of room we would get. Hearing we had the villa increased our expectations. We paid for three nights and what a mistake that was!

Sylvia brought us to our ‘villa’. Wow, we were so disappointed when we came there! The villa is really a small, old cottage! We found a cockroach by our bed, yuk! The kitchen is old and very small. The fridge had handles that are brown from al the filth. The tiles on the floor are broken. Don’t even think about making coffee in the dirtiest machine I’ve ever seen! The ‘villa’ is right up front of a swimming pool from the previous next door motel. So everybody walks by your ‘porch’ and looks straight in to your ‘villa’. Nice beach view… Not! We could sit outside, but only next to our ‘villa’. No table, nothing there. Only old chairs which look very dirty. The whole place (not just our villa) just looks old and damaged. We complained straight away and asked to get our money back. No, no refunds. After the first night we asked it again. It turned out that we are in a completely different property! Nobody told us that! But still: no money back. The owner, Anna, was on holiday, so nobody could (or wanted?) to help us. We even went to the police station to ask how to handle this because we are from outside the country. We payed $95 a night! To make a long, long story short: we finally got the money back from the night we didn’t spend there and a $10 discount for the 2 nights we did. Really still not enough for all the time we spend with this problem and all the inconvenience! We left a written complaint for Anna at the desk, but we are pretty sure we will never hear from her again, it has been three weeks now.

To add: we must say that we didn’t feel comfortable at all among the other guests. They walk over the property, or even by the pool, like they own the place just because they come here every year. They take the chairs by the pool and leave their stuff there all day. You can’t sit there. You don’t want to, the look at you like you’re an alien. The night before we stayed at the Sea Chest Motel a few hundred meters away, and that’s a really, really nice place! We payed $25 less there and the room was twice as big and clean as our ‘villa’. I would definitely go back there! Book in advance because they are full most of the times. But I really don’t recommend SunCoast motel! Spend your money at Sea Chest instead. There you get real value for your money and the owners are so kind!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple