Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
San Diego, California
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel in March for one night. We got a suite, which was really nice, because it is actually two rooms (one with a king size bed, and the other with a sleeper sofa, fridge, and microwave). Since most suites (at Choice Hotels) aren't two actual separate rooms, it was really nice to see that here. Our first room smelled like smoke (even though the hotel is smoke free), but we were moved into another room when we alerted the front desk. Our suite had been recently renovated, so it was not out of date like other reviewers mentioned. The breakfast was good (waffles), but it was crowded. Like others said, it's not in the best neighborhood, but we never felt unsafe. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Hebrew first
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Rooms were dated and in need of improvement. Hotel not in the best of neighborhoods. Disappointed management was not more proactive in controlling the younger guests accumulating in the hallways outside the rooms. We were still complaining at 1am. The layout of the hotel in two separate buildings made checking in and out very awkward. Breakfast area was crowded and needed more TLC. Overall, not a very happy experience

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is my 3rd review of this hotel in the past year. This time we stayed 5 days in April. This is a nice hotel at a good price. As other reviews state, the neighborhood is not great, but at no time have I ever felt unsafe here. Nice staff, good internet speed, great breakfast and nice rooms. As we all know, things break at times. Sunday night, the 1st floor ice machine was out of order, so I had to go to the 2nd floor. i thought, " Oh boy, its going to be broken all week". Not so! They fixed it first thing Monday morning - Kudos to the maintenance department!

I have a few "dings" from this stay, but nothing that will keep me from staying here on our next trip to Tampa:

1. This time, our room was in building #2, facing I-4. I-4 is a high traffic interstate. While the HVAC has a digital thermostat (good), it doesn't have a "fan on" setting, so the unit cuts off when the temperature is reached (bad). With no fan running, you can hear the traffic on I-4. We carry a Sound Machine for white noise while we sleep, so we were not affected.

2. They have a very nice pool in the center courtyard. One evening when I went to the ice machine, I heard loud music out there. I thought it was a live band at first. I went to inspect and decided it was just some teens playing a boom box too loud. However, the next night, I heard the same loud music. Come to find out, the hotel has speakers by the pool, so the hotel was the one playing the loud music. While perplexing, we couldn't her the music in our room, so it was no bother.

It is an easy 4-mile drive to Busch Gardens & Adventure Island, which was our primary destination. If you have time, don't miss St.Pete Beach (voted #1 beach by tripadvisor). Beautiful beach with tons of activities available!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank usc33
Albany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

The service at this hotel was terrible. When I arrived at 3:00 PM, not only were no rooms ready the lady at the front desk had no idea how long it would be before they would be ready. Shouldn't there be communication to know how long you are delaying guests after the standard check in time.Since I had a 4:30 appointment in downtown Tampa, time was critical. It ended up taking more than 1/2 hour to check in and fortunately I was able to get to Tampa in time. On checkout, I requested to speak to the manager who was nowhere to be found and who over a week later has not returned a call or responded to follow up email.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Bob D
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed here with my sister in February 2012. We chose this hotel because we were able to book it with reward points and were only staying in Tampa for one night before departing on a cruise.

When we checked in the front desk staff were very friendly and efficient. The room was clean and spacious with comfortable beds and pillows. The free continental breakfast was average - coffee, juice, bagels, cereal, waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, etc.

The hotel is in an area that isn't near by a whole lot. Though it is a close drive to shopping malls.

All in all it was a great stay for a free night - the Quality Inns generally are good value.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends