“Excellent breakfast”

Add it.
Mambos Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

One of the best in the area for breakfast. Delicious lunch too. They close at 4 . Sad there is no dinnner. Very friendly and family oriented. They open at 7 am , very convenient .

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

First of all, they moved to 6802 W Hillsborough AveTampa, FL 33634 just a few months ago. Before this new management, it used to be Limbos cafe and the quality of the food is still superb.

I had not been in the area for at least 8yrs but I was craving authentic Spanish food... I'm not fond of chain food restaurants bc they loose quality. Anyways, both of my experiences with Mambos Cafe exceeded my expectations 10x.
The flavors of their food...
I went with the family so we ordered several things.
Kids ordered white rice, roasted chicken and red beans. The chicken had so much flavors I felt like I was eating food that had been prepared with love :)
I believe they must have marinated the chicken overnight... there was the seasoning on the skin but also inside of the chicken and a hint of that cuban tart orange juise infussed skin.... ohhh so good!! The beans.... I felt as if my I was eating someone's grandmother's beans. Flavor flavor flavor.... fresh ingredients used and I wouldn't be surpriced if they even made fresh beans (non-can) in a pressure cooker.
Ok. I had morro rice (black rice and black beans cooked together) with sweet plantains and pulled pork. Omg! The pulled pork was tender, juicy and flavorfull. I'm not a salty kind of person, and because I know how to cook these foods I know the trouble and steps a chef has to take in order for the food to take in the flavors. Anyways, the sweet plantains.... perfection! I hate it when I order them from a restaurant and they look good but turn out to be hard and 3% sweet. Not here!!!!!! Sweet, soft and the perfect size... not goowee either. The rice was cooked perfectly. Thats one thing I can never cook right bc I can never get the color right, but they know their stuff!!! :)
Others ate empanadillas and they loved them.
I also ordered their short rib stew..... omg!!!! Fall of the bone, mouth watering, you better order more if anyone thinks they want to share or try your food bc this item you will be pissed off if you have to share! Omg my mouth just watered just thinking of it. LOL... (true story) This is accompanied by white rice as it was our selection and our side item of choice was yuca. For those who enjoy a little bit of garlic, you will love the yuca. Boiled to perfection all the way through making it soft to cut, saute with garlic EVOO and a little bit of onions.... yum!!

Now comes the best part.... I went during lunch and I paid less than $6/per plate. The owners who also seem to be the chefs bend over backwards to make sure you're comfortable ans that you eat exactly what your heart desires even if its not on their daily special.
I love it! I felt like I do when I visit my grandparents back home.

This place is out of my way but will buy their food any time and I will refer people here a million times :)

Ohhhhhh!!!!!! I almost forgot! If you want a sweet, all natural, no sugar added nor needed refreshing drink.... ask for a Guarapo. It's a freshly squeezed, made to order sugar cane juice. So good! 8D

Ok gotta stop before I get on the car...

If you're reading this.....Go! gps the address posted here. It's in the plaza next to the Verizon Center and you may see a sign for Pino's or Piño's cafe... don't know why... but there's also a little spanish market in the same plaza.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

I was invited to this restaurant by a friend who was born and raised in Tampa. She and her husband knew all the restaurants that served Latin food.

I had roast pork, steamed rice and fried plantains.

It was delicious.

Unfortunately, it is a long drive from my house and I have not been back.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

We've had so many delicious breakfasts and lunches at Mambos. The daily fresh roast pork is definitely their prize and the fresh pork is used on their cuban sandwiches. They also offer a just roast pork sandwich. Any of their sandwiches on cuban bread are best pressed and toasted. If you come in for a late breakfast, ask if the roast pork is ready and get a plate of pork instead of bacon to have with your eggs, cuban toast and cafe con leche! Very reasonable and delicious mom and pop restaurant! Near MLK and Armenia. Watch out for the potholes in the parking lot. It's fairly smooth parking behind the fence.

1  Thank Travel2Enjoy
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The place looks unprepossesing from outside - the end unit in a strip of shabby shops with a rough weed-infested parking lot. Inside, it is basic - a serving areas (slide your tray along the rails as you are served), a dozen or so tables.

The food though...ohhh the food! It is simple and unsophisticated but delicious. The shredded pork, yellow rice, black beans is what I always have. It never fails to delight - good strong flavours, beautifully cooked, generous portions and absurdly cheap. A very hearty meal and a bottle of coke will cost you (much) less than 10USD.

If you are in the neighbourhood, be sure to visit. You will not be disappointed. I visit Tampa on business regularly and always try to make sure I have time for lunch here.

1  Thank groan