“Absolutely one of the best dining experiences in Tampa”
Review of Boizao Steakhouse - CLOSED

Boizao Steakhouse
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Brazilian, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N Westshore Blvd.
Description: Bringing the authenticity and traditional Brazilian style to Tampa Bay diners for 4 years, Boizao Steakhouse provides the ultimate dining experience with a variety of 18 prime cuts of meat grilled to perfection and served by the gaucho chefs. The extraordinary salad bar features 50 items as well as delicious side dishes with the favorite “pao de queijo” (warm cheese bread). A sweet treat for every taste: fine selection of desserts traditional to Brazil and local favorites, served “a la carte”. You can’t miss Boizao’s signature The “Caipirinha” and the special liquor after dinner. Extensive wine collection and full bar.
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Boizao is indeed more than a steakhouse; it is truly a dining experience like no other…just like the logo says.

My wife and I dined here on a Monday evening with reservations for seven o’clock. When we arrived, there were perhaps a dozen or so other patrons. In the interest of full disclosure, we were dining here because my wife, a teacher, received a gift certificate from one of her students, and my wife felt this would be a good birthday dinner for me. This student just happened to be the daughter of the owner, so the gift certificate was good for two cocktails, two meals, and two desserts. Again, in the interest of full disclosure, dinner for two would have run about $120, and we did receive individual attention from the owner in the form of a tour of the skewer grill and he explained the history and operation of the restaurant.

To begin with, there is an unlimited access salad bar. However, a salad bar like no other! This is not the iceberg lettuce, cucumbers and maybe macaroni or tuna salads. No, this salad bar offers beans and rice, sushi, grilled portabella mushrooms, stuffed artichoke hearts, grilled asparagus, chicken salad, potato salad (not swimming in mayonnaise), waldorf salad, roast peppers, smoked salmon, prosciutto di Parma and shrimp salad as well as other delicious salad options. The great thing about this salad bar is that it can be used as a vegetarian alternative to guests who prefer to forego the meat service.

When seated at your table, each patron is given what looks like a drink coaster; one side is red, the other is green. This signals your servers either that you are taking a break (red) or that you are ready for another serving (green). The waiter pays close attention to the tables so there is never a wait on your next sample. When you are ready for your serving you can signal the waiter and request a particular meat or you can just stop one of the servers as they pass the table. The meat is prepared on a skewer and the server cuts a slice – which you hold with your individual tongs – to place on your plate. There are seventeen different meats available, and the wife and I sampled (multiple times) the following:
‘Picanha’ – house specialty, the most tender and flavorful cut imaginable, Filet Mignon, Filet Mignon w/bacon, Lamb Chops with mint jelly, ‘Alcatra’ – top sirloin , ‘Lombo’ – Pork Tenderloin, ‘Frango’ – chicken leg. The flavor of each meat is unique and the quality is unbelievable. In all honesty, I think I do prefer this to sitting down in front of a huge thick steak. The serving is all you can eat from as many of the seventeen offerings available. In addition to your meat servings, there is unlimited mashed potatoes and fried banana (which is a tasty offset to the meats). We were advised to enjoy our meal and dine slowly…the restaurant is open until ten o’clock and it will take quite some time to work through all of the samples available. This is not a rush-in, rush-out experience!

We had a pitcher of Sangria (a fair amount of Brandy – not overpowering but a taste) and for dessert, my wife had the tiramisu while I enjoyed the Crème de Papaya with Crème de Cassis over the top; an amazing taste treat that perfectly topped the evening.

We left about eight thirty. By that time, there were probably two dozen patrons in the restaurant and none in the bar. However, talking to the owner…Friday and Saturday nights is the opposite end of the spectrum. Additional dining rooms can be opened to accommodate the crowd, as nearly a thousand patrons file through over the course of an evening!

In closing, I would have to give this experience and the restaurant a five star rating. The cuisine is phenomenal, the atmosphere pleasant and conducive to a relaxing dining experience, the servers and wait staff were always on time on target. It is a place for special occasions, but is well worth the price. I say that as we intend to bring the in-laws here for their anniversary dinner, and the wife and I can always use it for special occasions henceforth. Boizao has to be one of the premier restaurants in Tampa.

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

We have been to various Brazilian Steak houses and this is one of the best. A beautiful and romantic atmosphere awaits!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

We have been to Boizao's several times and have always enjoyed it until this last visit. It was for the 4th of July which I made reservations for well in advance since they were having a 1/2 price special. They pretty much force you to valet park, there is only one way in and out and it's usually blocked so the traffic ends up backing up on the busy Boy Scout Blvd. When we finally got in to the front desk area it was swarming with people. For some odd reason they would not let you check in even if you had reservations! They said they would call your name but how would you know if they had already called it or not? I fought my way up to the desk to make sure I was on the list and to see if they had already called my name as the woman had a very strong accent and it was difficult to understand what name she was saying when she called a name. It was a crazy free for all and people without reservations were getting seated before the people who had them! It was a nightmare and we will never go there again because of it. When we finally did get seated (they never did call our name) we had to work ourselves up to the front of the line and told them we had reservations. The waiter asked us for a coupon which I didn't have because it didn't say you had to bring it with you on the email. He did give us the 1/2 price since I knew about it from the email. Very strange! The food was very good and I really do love the salad bar but it's not worth it after going through the ordeal that we did just to get seated!

1  Thank Cinipp
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Every single special occasion I go there to celebrate...the environment is lovely, the food great, well prepared, warm, the staff very friendly and efficient at all times...the prices pay in full what you are getting..the have 19 cuts of meat and you are able to try them all for the same price. I have visited a lot of restaurants but i sure this is the BEST restaurant and food. I will totally recommend it to others...

Reviewed 24 June 2013

The restaurant itself has an interesting concept: waiters with skewers of meats walk around and carve you whatever kinds of meat you are interested in eating. There is also a relatively large salad bar, which is almost an afterthought. As far as Brazillian steakhouses/churrascarias, Boizao is just ok. We have also been to Texas de Brazil, which is conveniently located just down the road from this location in Tampa. I would recommend Texas de Brazil over Boizao, based on presentation and atmosphere of the restaurants.

1  Thank CAK314