“Cuban meal with riverwalk view”

Columbia Cafe - Riverwalk Tampa
Ranked #67 of 2,732 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Enjoy waterfront drinks, tapas and our delicious Spanish/Cuban cuisine at the Columbia Cafe in the Tampa Bay History Center on the Tampa Riverwalk. The Cafe proudly serves locally brewed craft beers on tap. We offer a full bar, and serve lunch and dinner daily. Live music Friday and Saturday nights on our outdoor, canopy covered waterfront patio bar. Located next to the Amalie Arena, and walking distance along the Tampa Riverwalk from the Marriott Waterside Hotel, Embassy Suites, the Florida Aquarium and the Tampa Convention Center. Casual attire is fine, but we don't allow sleeveless shirts on men. Guests can dine inside at a scaled-down version of the original mahogany bar at our sister restaurant, the Columbia in Tampa's historic Ybor City, built more than a century ago in 1905 by the Brunswick Company. If you're boating, we invite you to dock at Garrison Channel outside the Tampa Bay History Center at one of eight tie-ups.
Reviewed 29 December 2016

I am transferring this review to the Columbia Café as the earlier review I did got posted to the Ybor City location
My wife and I came here after getting off a cruise ship from a week in the Caribbean, after hearing nothing but praise for the original restaurant, but this one was much closer. We waited until 11 in the sunshine watching paddleboarding Santa and dog go up and down the river.
Restaurant was gorgeous, 2 levels overlooking the water, open air and the weather was perfect. My wife had the 1905 salad with turkey, I had the 1/2 1905 salad (kind of a chef salad, iceberg, cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, ham, with a garlic citrus dressing) and the 1/2 Cuban sandwich (ham, roast pork, pickle, swiss, yellow mustard) on house baked bread (they buy from the same bakery for the last 40 years, delivered frozen, and they bake on premises) bread comes with a house made butter that is excellent. I also had the Spanish bean soup (garbanzo, potato, ham, chorizo, saffron). We also shared some house olives marinated in olive oil and garlic.
Server was excellent, only sad we were too full to try dessert.
My wife's mojito was excellent, not too sweet, sugar cane stirrer. We will be back on out next tampa trip.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

In town for the Joyce Meyer Conference and Columbia next to arena. Restaurant was busy for lunch. 4 in party and waited 20 minutes. It took 30 minutes for the food to arrive. My Cuban sandwich tasted rancid. I could not eat it and informed the waitress who did nothing. The bean soup was good. Out of 4 guest half liked the food. 50 percent satisfaction is not good. Some of the other volunteers had better food the day before.
The wait staff have to carry trays up and down stairs. I sat next to the stairs not a great place to sit.

I could not recommend this restaurant and I do not plan to go back.

guestservices1905, Public Relations Manager at Columbia Cafe - Riverwalk Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2016

Please accept our apologies for serving you a disappointing Cuban sandwich. And when you brought this to the attention of our server, nothing was done. This is not acceptable to us, and we have shared your comments with our general manager.

Reviewed 24 December 2016

Stopped here for lunch. Nice location on the RiverWalk. Sat outside on a nice day. Patio has an awning and a decent view of the river. Cuban sandwich, 1905 Salad, werel very good. Black Bean soup was OK. Service was efficient but server wasn't exactly "Mr. Social". Excellent atmosphere. Prices very reasonable. Would definitely recommend

Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

Took Teco trolley here to show family our beautiful city! Was very disappointed. Restaurant didn't appear completely full but service was extremely slow. We ordered basics like Cuban sandwiches and 1905 salads. Disappointing. Will not return.

Reviewed 19 December 2016

I stopped in here after visiting the History Centre just next door for a quick bite to eat. There's a great outdoor terrace with views over the River Walk. Service was quick, staff were friendly (although it was quiet when I visited), and the menu was good. I only had a bowl of soup and a drink, but it was excellent. No complaints at all.

Been to Columbia Cafe - Riverwalk Tampa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK