“Cool Place- Lotsa Rides!”

Busch Gardens Tampa
Tampa Bay CityPASS
Ranked #1 of 198 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Busch Gardens Tampa is the ultimate family adventure, offering 300 acres of fascinating attractions based on exotic explorations around the world. A unique blend of thrilling rides, one of the country's premier zoos with more than 12,000 animals, live shows, restaurants, shops and games, Busch Gardens Tampa provides unrivaled excitement for guests of every age.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
New England, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Cool Place- Lotsa Rides!”
Reviewed 6 July 2007

We all had a great time at Busch Gardens at Tampa. Definately a place to go for thrill rides. The first thing you see when you pull into the parking lot is the yellow-and-blue steel goliath called Montu- awesome ride. Then when you step out of the car you hear the screams of people who can't decide if they are having the time of their lives or if they're near death.
Compared to Disney's Animal Kingdom, especially ride-wise, there's a lot more to do (even though, personally, I enjoy the atmosphere of Animal Kingdom a bit more...and Expedition Everest rocks my socks..). Animal Kingdom and Busch Gardens are both great places in their own way.
When we went to Busch Gardens the lines were usually no more than 20 minutes long. We thought it was only because we went on a Monday...but then we got to SheiKra and found out why the other lines were so short! SheiKra is definately worth waiting in line for. In a way, I sorta felt like I was waiting in line to speed 200 feet down at a 90 degree angle into my own grave... BUT that's just me. Although afterwards I was very very happy to have ridden it. On the way up you feel like your almost as vertical as the drop. The pocket change of some guy in front of us was falling out and the youngest of my companions told us he almost caught some in his mouth. Kumba was really fun. I got pelted with black flies during the ride so you might wanna keep your mouth closed if you feel stuff hitting your face (I think I got one in my teeth...). Gwazi was also fun..but slightly painful. If you have a bad neck or back you'll really wanna pay attention to the warning signs. But if all's well with you, I suggest riding the Lion and then the Tiger right after (or vice versa) unless, of course, you get enough of a nice good whomp of wooden coaster on the first run. SheiKra and Montu are both tied at the top of my Busch Gardens ride list and I highly suggest trying to get in as many of the rides as you can...if your stomach'll hold out.
The animals there seemed like they were happy and being taken care of quite well. The sky ride is a really nice way to get a good view of the park. You can see the animals and Sheikra really well. It's also quite entertaining to see the reaction you get from people on the other side of the sky ride when you wave at them.
The staff I think deserved to have Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" played occasionally on the loud speakers. Most were definately not as friendly as Disney's cast members, but there were some exceptions.
We ate at the Zambia Smokehouse. The food was good and it's a cafe-line style so it was fast as well. There's also a nice selection of desserts!
All in all, our day at Busch Gardens was awesome. Can't wait to go back!

8 Thank LostInThought
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Turkish first
Essex, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Busch Gardens - excellent for thrill seeking rides”
Reviewed 1 July 2007

My boyfriend and I just got back from Florida, we had planned to just visit the Orlando theme parks but we squeezed some things in so that we could do a day in Busch Gardens too.

The first thing that surprised us was the lack of people and therefore queues, having been to Islands of Adventure the day before I was prepared for a wait especially for the new and heavily advertised Sheikra but there wasn't. We didn't queue for more than 20 minutes for any of the rides in fact the only ride that had a huge queue was the log flume which we decided not to bother going on as it didn't look worth the wait.

I liked the combination of the animals and the rollercoasters, in that respect it is similar to the Animal Kingdom. The Skyride wasn't working which was a shame but there were loads of animals to see. You don't get as close as the AK Safari but the rides do not compare. Sheikra was amazing and Gwazi surprised us by how good it was, the rest were all of a really high standard and each with a different element to them but lacking the magic of Disney.

The one thing that let it down was the staff, I do feel for them working in that heat (92 degrees) but this was the only theme park we visited where people did not seem so happy and willing to help you out and that was a shame.

Overall I thought Busch was definately worth the extra drive from Orlando and I would especially recommend it for tennagers and people aged 21 plus, like us, who enjoy being thrown around at great speeds, dropped from massive heights and totally scared!

6 Thank Hannah C
San Bruno
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“HORRIBLE”
Reviewed 30 June 2007

I went to Busch Gardens in Tampa on June 24, 2007. It changed a lot based on a recommendation 20 years ago. It was very deceiving. We looked at the brochure before we went and we thought it looked like a lot of fun. So we went and the animal were in horrible condition. The animals didn't have a big space to live in. They were all cramped into this little space, especially the elephants. And there are so many rides around that you can hear them from where the animals are. It's not healthy for them, and they don't look healthy. Also, the enviroment in Busch Gardens is not clean. I don't recommend this park!!! Go to Disney's Animal Kingdom instead.

1 Thank tRaCkLoVr
Basingstoke, England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“great day out - not to be missed”
Reviewed 29 June 2007

We wnet to Orlando Feb 2007 and visited Busch Gardens twice, they were both great days out I have two kids aged 11 and 8 and they really enjoyed it unfortunately my eldest was a bit ill the first time so missed out on going on alll the big rides so we had to made a second trip which noone minded so he could go on all the big rides (several times) his favourite was Shiekra which he went on several times and we purchased the dvd really worth the money so you can share the experience with everyone when you get home . My daughters favourite ride was Gwazi which she went on over and over again. The whole place was really clean and all staff really helpful. We ate there both times and food was reasonable and great. The first time we payed to go on the jeep safari to feed the giraffes which was great fun, we all really enjoyed it and you have someone with you who takes loads of photos so at the end you can choose the one you want, or like us buy the cd and print out the ones you want when you get home. If you staying near Disney it is about an hours drive but well worth the visit. We have already booked to go again next year and Busch Gardens is at the top of our list for places to visit. My daughter is hoping she will be tall enough to go on all the big rides, enjoy!!

1 Thank hancey
TEXAS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“We had fun”
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Are we the only ones but is anyone else surprised by the appearance of Tampa not pretty. I guess we watch too much TV...Anyway.
We went to Busch Gardens on Tuesday June 19th. We arrived early and went straight to Sheekra. I have never been on a roller coaster where my eyes were closed most of the ride. I could not beilieve how insane that ride experience was. One time is enough..Thats my opinion. We rode everything including the train ride around the park and got a great view of everything we did not pay extra for. We got there early and was finished by 2pm. This is a great place visit at least once...After Sheekra nothing else was intimidating including the rides in Orlando.

2 Thank CULATR