“Great Location”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Huntington Woods, Michigan, United States
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We recently spent two night at the Hyatt Sarasota. The location is great and convenient to the city center. The room layout was fairly typical with the addtion of a glass enclosed "bump out" that functioned as a seating area as our room did not have a balcony. I would opt for the balcony in the future. The bed and pillows were great. Linens were not much. Very small bath towels and thin hand towels and wash cloths. They need to be updated! There is a large pool area complete with a waterfall. Our only objection was the pool side music was so loud and "upbeat" that it was hard to relax. I realize music selection is difficult as people have many different preferences, but this was too much! There is a small fridge which came in handy. One negative is the lack of storage space for folded clothes so we had to live out of our suitcases. Our traveling companions had a horrible time getting Wifi and there is a charge once you get on. This was our first trip to Sarasota so I would explore other hotels if I returned. Overall for the price it was a good value for a day or two , but for an extended stay I would look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go for a balcony room. The rooms with the glass bump out become a green house in the afternoon sun...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
hyattsrq, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I have to agree with you on the bay window in the standard guest rooms as it is a nice amenity for enjoying the beauty of the water views that all our rooms have. I have made a note on the noise level of the pool area. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you back in the hotel real soon!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

As we got a good deal on Priceline we were very pleased with the Hyatt. If we had paid full price we would have been disappointed.

Check in : Great! Stacey was wonderful, doing everything she could to accommodate us.
Rooms: Very nice. yes, bathrooms are a bit small but fine. Nicely decorated rooms with wonderful views and balcony. A bit noisy with adjoining room next door and others on their balcony late at night.

Housekeeping: Great. Everything was cleaned and they accommodated our request for extra coffee, etc.

Pool area: Super Disappointing. Most chairs don't face the pool at all but are lined up like a pack of sardines facing the marina if you could actually see it. The chairs are very uncomfortable. Just not relaxing...like sun bathing in the middle of the city. Hot tub was filthy with leaves, branches, etc. (To their defense it was extremely windy while we were there)

Fitness: Small, nice equipment, claustrophobic. Ok in a pinch but not pleasant.

Would we stay here again? If we are just looking for a nice hotel in convenient location, yes. If we are looking for a relaxing few days around a pool, definitely not.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelincritic
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you for the very thoughtful feedback regarding your recent stay. I was pleased to learn of your experience with Stacey and please know that she will be recognized as will the Housekeeping Team. While a row of 30 chairs does face the pool, there is a large section that faces the afternoon sun. Thank you again for visiting and we do hope to see you in the future!
Crystal Lake, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Very nice- location was convenient to all Sarasota sights. The pool area was beautiful with lots of palm trees and a waterfall. Restaurant did not have a lot of choices. Wifi was not free (surprising for this level hotel). Parking was convenient and overall it was a great stay. Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for the kind words regarding our beautiful poo area! I think the waterfall is fantastic and certainly one of a kind in the Sarasota. Thank you for the feedback regarding the restaurant and the complimentary self parking. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Miami Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked this hotel through Priceline because they claim to be a 4 star hotel and I didn't really feel like spending $200 a night plus tax. Didn't actually save very much only about $20 a night. I am on crutches and when I arrived at the hotel to check in at 2 pm on a Friday and asked for a handicap room, I was told they were all occupied. Disappointed a little since it's hard for me to get around with a broken foot, I took the regular room and went on my way. The room I was given was at the end of a floor, as far away from the elevators that you can get. I felt that was somewhat thoughtless of them to do. When I entered my room, there was an overwhelming odor of mildew and a dirty carpet smell. The carpet was FILTHY. The bed was beyond uncomfortable. The room was warm even though I had the AC set to 70 degrees. At one point we lost all power in the room...from running 2 hairdryers! I ALWAYS stay in at least 4 star facilities and have never had that happen. I had to call the front desk from my cell phone because all they have is a cordless phone in the room. No power, no phone! Ridiculous. It took maintenance 20 minutes (after 2 notifications) to arrive to fix the power outtage. He told us "this hotel is 30 years old, they've added a lot of electrical things in the room but it can't handle it." Really???? For a 4 star $200 a night Hotel, I expect it to at least handle 2 hair dryers. The first night we were there, we noticed a darker area to the ceiling and just figured it was dirty but by the second night, after hearing DRIP DRIP DRIP DRIP while I was trying to go to sleep, I realized it was water. Water was dripping down from the ceiling onto a tiled area of the floor, I had to place the ice bucket there to catch the water. It's a miracle I didn't slip with my crutches on the wet floor. By morning time a large area of the ceiling tiles, approximately 2 ft x 2.5 ft was super saturated with water. I'm surprized it haden't fallen through. I could hear other dripping in the ceiling above my bed. Not sure if it was a room on the next floor up or where it was dripping. The photos of the hotel are definitely much nicer than in person. The carpet in the hallway was extremely dirty and smelly. The water had an odor of sewage everytime we ran it. I don't know if that's what Sarasota water smells like but it was so nasty. Unhelpful porters also. No one to assist us in bringing in or leaving with our bags upon checkout. When I checked out, I told the front desk about the issues and they gave me a lousy $50 credit. What they should have done was credited one night, not $50. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed in the accomodations at Hyatt Regency Sarasota and will definitely not be returning. Sarasota is beautiful and I am sure there are many other hotels I can enjoy my stay at, Hyatt Regency will not be one of them.

Room Tip: No Spa on premises. Beautiful Ritz Carlton across street.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Miamigal777
Obviously, the entire team is disappointed with your recent experience and is not indicative of the type of service we strive to provide. We will certainly investigate the power issue as this is not a common occurance at the property. I would like the opportunity to discuss your experience if you are so inclined. Please accept my apologies for a less than satisfactory stay and we certainly appreciate the feedback.
Lyndhurst
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great hotel - beautiful decor and location. Definitely disappointed that WiFi was $9.00 per day (for a $280 per night room) when you can get it free at McDonald's. I think that should be included for paying guests. No lobby coffee either.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lisalove88
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you for your recent review! We're very proud of the recent renovation and the color scheme chosen. We appreciate the feedback on the internet and coffee. Of course, we do offer complimentary coffee in each guest room and for a nominal charge at the lobby bar. Look forward to your return!