“Stay away!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Orlando, Florida
“Stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

On April 29, 2012, we reserved a room at Hibiscus Suites Inn for two nights during Memorial Day weekend (checking in May 26, checking out May 28). Our reservation was placed using Booking.com, and Hibiscus Suites charged our credit card for the one night deposit, as Booking.com’s policy had mentioned that they might.

On Saturday, May 26, we arrived at the Hibiscus Suites Inn around 10:00am, very early for check in but we were going to head to the beach for the day and figured we might as well stop by the hotel first in case early check-in was available. We were also hoping to request a renovated room since many previous reviews had indicated that rooms at Hibiscus Suites that had not yet been renovated left much to be desired. When we arrived, the lady at the front desk (I believe her name was Jenn) could not locate our reservation and proceeded to bring over the general manager Chris. The two of them just kept staring at the computer screen without saying a word to us for at least five minutes. Chris, the manager, then went into some dark and dusty back room next to the reception desk and we were left for another ten to fifteen minutes before he came back out to face the music of his property’s negligence.

In the end, Chris’ explanation was that Booking.com had notified Hibiscus Suites Inn that the reservation being made was for April 29, 2012, the day that I booked the reservation on their website, and not for Memorial Day weekend. Despite the fact that my Booking.com paperwork clearly stated the proper dates for the reservation being May 26-28, he continued to stand there inept and unsure what to say other than to blame Booking.com and report to us that their property was full for the weekend and they could not honor our reservation. Hibiscus Suites had also already charged our credit card for the reservation deposit, so his solution was that they could refund that amount. Not a solution at all…we explained that we were in town from Orlando (2.5 hours away) and were going to be stuck with nowhere to stay during one of the busiest travel weekends of the year. He basically forced us out the door while he called Booking.com to discuss the situation with them, as I’m sure he was paranoid about other guests overhearing the conversation between him and I regarding this unforgiveable mistake on their part.

If Hibiscus Suites cannot handle utilizing third party reservation sites for reservations, which their GM Chris indicated is often a problem for them, then their business will surely suffer, since that is really the only way that most out-of-town travelers would ever be aware of such a small, unadvertised property. Don’t let your vacation plans fall victim to Hibiscus Suites Inn; there are many other more deserving hotels/B&Bs/rental companies in the Siesta Key/Sarasota area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Valleygrl359
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

My daughters and grand child are staying here while visiting us in Sarasota. What a lovely hotel and quite the bargain. They are staying in a 2 bed suite with kitchenette, living room and large bedroom. 2 large TV's. Room was spotless and the furnishings comfortable. The pool is well kept and large enough for fun. At a mixed price for the weekend averaging $76 a night, this place is the best bargain in all of Sarasota.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Bloomington, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Hibiscus Suites Inn is a nice facility, however I would under no circumstances ever go there as they practice fraudulent billing procedures. They presented us with a bill for the nights we stayed there and then charged our American Express account for several nights we were not even in Florida. When we protested the bill with American Express, Hibiscus Inn provided American Express with paperwork that indicated we stayed there on two nights in which we were in another state! Avoid these people unless you want to be cheated.

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you have any sense
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Deborah D
Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

This past weekend, my girlfriends and I spent a wonderful two days in Siesta Keys Florida. We spent our day at the number one beach in the nation then retreated to the Hibiscus Suites Inn which is only a five minute drive away. The staff was very courteous from the moment we arrived, till the moment we check out.

I read a lot of the reviews on this Inn prior to the trip and had very high expectations since I knew that it was under new management and I read that there were renovations taking place. I wasn't disappointed. When we walked in we were greeted with a very quaint living room space, with three comfortable couches, and a new flat screen tv. The curtains and light fixtures were new as well. There was also a small kitchenette. I was impressed to see that the drawers and cabinets were fill with plates, cups, utensils, etc. All the stuff you would need for a kitchen to feed four people.

In the bedroom I was disappointed to see that the carpets were old, but because they are doing renovation I did not base my rating on it. (When I left the next day I talked to the staff about it and they said that we were the last occupants before the new carpets were to be installed, so I was happy to hear that). The beds were nicely kept, and there was a new flat screen tv in the bedroom as well. I scrolled through the channels and was pleased to see that it had cable.

The girls and I headed out to the heated pool and had a nice time. The pool was large enough even with the other ten people that were in there with us. There were plenty of wrought iron patio furniture so we had our own little space and there were two fountains that made the scenery look nice. After the pool we headed back to the room.

The bathroom was decently sized and with four girls sharing the same one, it didn't seem overcrowded. I did however give the rating one star less only because I was disappointed in the water pressure that the shower provided. It seemed like it took us forever to wash up. Also, we didn't have enough soap so when we dialed the front desk to ask for more, they were prompt and arrived at our door moments later with what we needed.

The Inn is located centrally so we were able to drive to Publix (the local grocery) to grab dinner and some essentials for breakfast the next day. I ready in prior reviews that the breakfast provided wasn't much so I wanted to make sure we had something substantial in the morning.

Later that night we headed to downtown Sarasota which is also only moments away from the Inn. Finally when we arrived back at the Inn, we slept soundly. The neighbors are hardly noticeable. The only sounds we heard from them was when they moved some furniture upstairs. But that was only a few moments.

The next morning we utilized the kitchenette. (I did check out the lobby breakfast, and I'm glad I read the reviews from before because they were right. It was a very small selection). The four star rating for this also includes the pan that I tried using. It was old and terrible. At one point it was a nonstick pan but I tried to make eggs in it and trust me, there was so much sticking I just gave up. I do suggest that they upgrade their pots and pans. I'm not saying like High Chef Quality, but at least something useable.

Other than that we had a really nice time and I would highly recommend this to people. And I can't wait to book again. Looking forward to the completely renovated rooms :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

spent 2 nights...it's 5 minutes from Siesta Beach (free parking @ this beach). Enjoyed this motel!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shugirl2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
0.4 km away
6.3 km away
Comfort Suites Sarasota
Comfort Suites Sarasota
#1 of 49 in Sarasota

Been to Hibiscus Suites - Sarasota / Siesta Key? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK