“Friendly Staff, Spend a couple extra bucks and go to nicer place not worth the savings”

Coquina On The Beach
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 2 October 2017

I knew by the reviews that this place would be a little dated but decided to book anyways. Pictures they show you are of a remodeled unit and it is a little strange they don't show the shower right? (There is a reason) Bathroom was very dated I would put it around the 1950-1960's era. The built in drawers in the closet, (which is the entrance to the bathroom), smelled bad, musty odor. The popcorn ceiling was letting loose in places. Carpet had blood stains on it and was very dirty. Opened the rusty frig and the shelf fell out on the floor. Water pressure varied, remember in the old days when someone flush the toilet and someone would scream from the shower - that's this place. Drain in shower was very slow. I saw no bugs anywhere in the room. I thought the housekeeping service was good. One of the two beds was comfortable. Good size room, (not counting closet/bathroom). Air worked good. All electrical outlets are worn out and probably a hazard at this point, be careful. They do allow pets for an extra fee. Was quiet when we were there. Parking is tight, enough for one car per unit, (I think). Would not go back. If you want to have shade on beach make sure you wake up early and put towel on chair, (you will see what I mean)

Room Tip: Only stairs to second floor areas.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A2222TVwilliamh

Reviewed 1 October 2017

It is very rare to find a beachfront hotel where our well behaved golden retriever is welcomed, so that was very nice! There is not a place on property to walk a dog-at least not with grass, but there are sidewalks by the main road which make for a pleasant walk past the condos in the area. Our pet friendly room was clean and had a very roomy dressing area. The front desk people are friendly and pleasant and the property seems to be generally well maintained but running on a very tight budget. Just a heads up- you will not find these things in your room: toiletries ( no shampoo etc), coffee ( pot and filters are there, though), blow drier ( some are available in the office), iron/ ironing board ( may be in the office). The hotel is an easy 1 mile walk from St. Armand's circle with lots of great restaurants and shops, but to go to a grocery store you must go back to the mainland or to Longboat Key ( still not TOO far, though!) For a beachfront hotel, there are many other good choices. If you have a pet and really want them with you, this is an option to consider!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Great little place. Very clean and sits right on the beach. The location is great and the staff is very pleasant. We will be back to this location again and again. Not to far from the circle which is a great place to shop or dine. Try it you will like it. Not real fancy but it is clean.

Stayed: November 2016
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We took a vacation to lido key for a friends wedding and that's when we booked coquina. I would like to start by saying that the beach is absolutely beautiful and the sand is awesome!! Also the housekeeper couldn't of been better, she stopped by everyday and made sure we had adequate fresh towels as well as making our bed and sweeping the sand from the floor, I believe her name was Tama?? Anywho she is great!!!

Anddddd... these are the reasons I would recommend to look elsewhere. I would like to add that it was just my husband and I in this room and I'm currently pregnant. So the issues we experience were..
1. The shower didn't drain and overflowed to the floor
2. The entire room smelled of sewer.
3. The a/c didn't work properly and we would sweat just sitting in the room
4. No parking for trucks, all the vehicles where double parked and left no room for others
5. The pool looked very unclean so we never got in it.

Normally I wouldn't give someone a bad review unless nothing was ever done. We called the front desk multiple times. Someone came up to "fix the issues" but the maintenance man was there for very little time and nothing changed. When nothing changed we called again and they said "everything was looked at." Um okay.. so it didn't ever get changed. So you have a hot sweaty pregnant woman breathing in sewage. Awesome.

So here is where I went wrong. I should of spent the extra $100 for the week to stay at limetree. We paid $1300 for a very poor condo. Super disappointing. We had the wedding there at limetree and the rooms where beautiful and completely updated, great pool, chair and umbrellas, free laundry, free fitness center, and great parking. Spend the extra money... it's so worth it!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Hi Hayley,
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Coquina. The only issue that I have record of being reported was the shower drain, which maintenance reported fixed. So please accept my apologies for the other issues that you experienced. I have since personally checked the room and 1.couldn't detect a "sewer" smell, 2. the air conditioning is working fine, 3. if you needed parking for a large vehicle all you needed to do was speak to the front desk and we would have arranged for a "reserved" parking space that could accommodate a large vehicle, and 4. the pool is cleaned M-W-F every week without fail. Oddly enough, the guests who checked in after you have not had one issue with the room. I am happy to hear that you approved of our housekeeping staff:) They work extremely hard without much recognition, so Thank you!

Reviewed 15 July 2017

In 2014 I gave this place a very low review and management promised improvements and invite me to let them know on my next visit. to make it fair I didn't notify them of my visit this time.
Everything that I mentioned in 2014 was corrected. the rooms were cleaned and well taken care of.
The staff, as always was very courteous and responsive.
we stayed for 4 days, 3 nights and didn't want to leave. We are coming back next year.
We thank the staff and management. You made my vacation one of the best ever.
See you soon,

Room Tip: I like the pool area rooms, they are a little bit costly but worthy.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Julio M

Thank you for the great review! I certainly do everything in my power to provide the best possible guest experience. We are constantly trying to improve the property, the rooms and our performance. So thank you again for noticing and taking the time to let us know. We look forward to your next visit:)