“Our 17th Year at this great quaint motel.”

Coquina On The Beach
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We have been coming here from ENGLAND for some 17yrs straight. We will be there this year and I can assure you we have the greatest time. The staff are great and very helpfull. The location is fantastic and you are only a short way from the shopping malls which you drive to down the TAMIAMI. We will be back for yrs to come and we are in our 60's and 70's. We have met some incredibly nice people here and have remained in touch with them..We do our own barbi evening whilst there..Would we recommend it, you tell us.

Brian & Loretta

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2009

Now when I came to this hotel with my family, I was very tired. But when I was greeted at the front desk by amazingly friendly people and employess I felt great. I room my have not been first class. But it was a homey feeling. From the kitchen to the bedrooms. I felt at home. My family and I went to their relaxing pool and then to the newly down beach. The water was beautiful and so was the hotel. So if you get the chance to go to Lido Key stay at this hotel. Because me and my family would stay at this hotel in a heartbeat!!!! :) :)

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Let me preface this by saying that I have stayed at the Coquina at least once a year every year since 1967. This is a 33 unit two story motel directly on beautiful Lido Beach. The rooms are dated but clean. The pool area is handy and surounded by palm trees. The pool is heated and cleaned daily by an outside pool company. There are two large "huts" on the beach if one wants to sit in the shade and still see everything. Beach chairs (loungers) are ample in number and free. (Most places on this beach charge rental for beach chairs). The grounds are well maintained. Most of the staff has been here a number of years. Amy (the manager) is friendly and easy to work with. Coffee and daily newspaper in office each morning. Easy walk to St Armands Circle for dining and shopping. You can walk down the beach to the south and get a burger and a beer for lunch. This is a quaint getaway where most of the guests arrive as strangers and leave as friends a few days later. I have found most of the guests have stayed here several times before. It's not the Ritz. Just a clean comfortable place to chill out and relax. They have internet access but it's dial up. One caveat: this hotel allows pets. One might encounter a few four legged guests as well. I didn't like it at first but got over it 20 years ago.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank moviecat
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We arrived Sunday March 29 and were there 7 nights. We had to change rooms with 2 nights to go and we thought our original room needed updating...Our new room, nothing seemed to work. Please don't get me wrong, great Hotel just needs some renovations, even minor ones would help. The stoves are from the 60's and the mattresses must be at least 20 years old. Our toaster in the second room, the heated wires inside were bent in every possible direction and actually started a small fire when a piece of toast got stuck. The staff was incredible! The location is perfect! Like I said, just some minor updates and this place would be perfect! I know people say that when you go on vacation you don't need things like internet, but for a resort/hotel not to have it was very surprising. It rained a couple days we were there and we had to walk to another hotel just to get access. The parking leaves something to be desired...Impossible to pull into a spot and back out and go. You have to pull out, go all the way up the parking lot, "try" and find an empty spot and turn around there or just risk it and back out onto the road.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Buckeys33
Reviewed 26 March 2009

We just returned from a 5 day stay at Coquina at the beach. What a gem this place is. The hotel consists of kitchenettes just north of Lido beach. The Hotel sits on a sandy, shell filled coastline overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. We stayed in the beachview building. You have to stay in this building to make it worth your while. Our room was about 10 steps from the pool. The pool was clean and open 24-7. Our 4 kids ages 10-15 got the pool to themselves. A few steps past the pool is the large Sandy Beach full of seashells. The Gulf water was clear, clean and calm. The sunsets were gorgeous.
If you are expecting a 5 star hotel with luxury accomodations. This is not the place for you. The rooms are small, clean but need renovation. We had the 1 bedroom and got a rollaway bed. The beds were not the most comfortable nor was the kitchen stocked. We did not care as the location was incredible. The Staff was friendly and helpful. We spent several evenings at St. Armands which has several shops and nice restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family