Open today: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
City Sightseeing Trolley Tour of Sarasota

Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Marie Selby Botanical Gardens
3,266 results
All reviews koi pond tropical plants sarasota bay orchid house children's area banyan trees christmas lights gift shop for sale few hours couple of hours spend an afternoon beautiful grounds greenhouse conservatory epiphytes rainforest
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 April 2024 via mobile

I’ve been a member of Selby Gardens for years, and despite the new facility, I will not renew my membership. It’s a lovely garden, impressive resource, and facilities are perfectly adequate (although the restaurants are lame) - but the volunteers who work there are so miserable and rude, I just can’t take it. For years, every time I’ve visited, I feel like I’m a trespasser (even though I’m a member). I’m ignored, interrogated for multiple forms of ID, then man-splained the gardens (again, I’m a member! I don’t need to be told where to enter!).

Worse, I live in the area. I was walking my dog around the block and paused outside the entrance to admire the wall garden, as I often do — it’s lovely! A volunteer from the entry desk came outside, where I was standing on the sidewalk with absolutely no intention of going into the garden - because my dog was with me and they’re not allowed - when the volunteer came out of the building to scream at me that YOU AND YOUR DOG CANNOT COME IN! NO DOGS! YOU CANNOT COME IN! YOU NEED TO GO!!!!!

I explained I was a member and knew dogs can’t go in, I was just pausing outside. She told me to move along & by then another sneering volunteer had come out & echoed her. Again, I live in the area, I’m not a vagrant - and honestly, I don’t think vagrants deserve such treatment, let alone members!

I was still on the fence about whether to renew my membership or not and decided to give the Garden the benefit of the doubt. I called to ask a question - but it’s impossible to reach a human. I left messages. And did it again. And again. And again. Finally got a call back - to voicemail - by a volunteer who said they could t answer my question, and to call back.

No thanks, Selby. Wish you well - but frankly, you made me feel like an unwanted loser instead of a valued visitor & local, let alone a member.

1  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 28 March 2024

What a great experience touring the site. All native vegetation and history. Easy walking trails and the Clyde Butcher nature photos were a plus. So peaceful.

Reviewed 28 March 2024

We visited the Marie Selby Gardens at Historic Spanish Point. What an excellent experience. Nice trails, great information, and beautiful vegetation. Very peaceful.

Reviewed 26 March 2024 via mobile

Incredible place for all ages. Our group was 3mths-75yrs. Our 3yr old granddaughter loved the children’s area. Lunch at the Orchid was a bit chaotic. Long wait for our order. Lovely gift shop. Walked more after lunch and had tea, cookies & icecream at the cafe (not the Orchid). A A+ way to spend the day with family.

1  Thank ArtsyWalker
Reviewed 25 March 2024

Hidden surprise -easy parking, cafe gift shop. Cool walk around the various gardens Lunch in cafe inexpensive- good sandwich.