For some people, this is the very best place on Sanibel. Every good thing you read in the other reviews, believe it. A few tiny cottages steps away from an excellent shelling beach. Everything is clean and tropical.
So I am going to talk about the things you might not like, not that there's anything wrong, but my idea of paradise might not be to your taste, so you won't be disappointed if you highly value the very very few things that aren't provided. No use filling up this heavenly resort with people who aren't utterly contented!
They provide beach chairs and umbrellas but no uniformed staff rush out to set them up for you. Hint: use the shovel to dig a hole for the umbrella stick. No one will bring you mixed drinks. And not at all crowded because the cottages are in a residential section on a dead end road. Did I mention how good the shelling was? We went to numerous beaches up and down the Gulf Coast and all over Sanibel and felt that the best shelling of all was right outside our door.
The rooms are very small. The beds are ordinary, comfortable, but not amazing. No luxury linens, just nice clean plain sheets. The kitchenettes in some of the units are very very small although decently stocked with utensils, salt and papper, and coffee supplies. You will have to bring sugars, oils, soy sauce, and so on. Although we loved our unit, it was hard to cook meals, which we love to do. If you are a breakfast and lunch kind of cook (they do have a nice coffee, pastry, fruit complimentary breakfast) then you will be just fine. If you dream of cleaning fish and making your own complicated ceviche, make sure you get one of the bigger kitchenettes. On the other hand, they have a nice charcoal grill by the beach. We had steak, avocado salad, and wine on our little patio, and watched a spectacular sunset.
Rooms are not cleaned or bedding changed during your stay. The room is spotless when you arrive. There are plenty of fresh sheets and towels, but you do the maid service. On the other hand, the staff could not be more helpful.
You cannot park at your doorstep. You have to schlepp your bags down a short tropical sand path. They provide a wagon. If you travel with loads of luggage, that might matter to you.
My husband and I stayed for eight glorious days, slept well, ate well, and brought home a lovely bunch of shells. You may be able to find a quieter, cozier, cottage by the beach on Sanibel, but we couldn't.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A truly refreshing vacation awaits you at the Blue Dolphin Cottages. We are a family owned, intimate and charming motel situated directly on a tranquil, white sandy beach on the beautiful Gulf of Mexico. The Blue Dolphin Cottages offers a selection of accommodations in its 10 units, either bright and airy efficiencies or spacious one bedroom suites, all with completely equipped kitchens, phones and cable television. Each unit has a comfortable sun deck surrounded by lush tropical landscaping. With our compliments, you will enjoy a delicious continental breakfast every morning. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Dolphin Cottages Hotel Sanibel Island
- Blue Dolphin Sanibel Island
- Blue Dolphin Hotel Sanibel Island