Sunshine Island Inn
Song of the Sea(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 405
Tarpon Tale Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 178
US$ 172
Island Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 243
Casa Ybel Resort(Sanibel Island)
US$ 332
Official Site
West Wind Inn(Sanibel Island)
US$ 286
US$ 175
Sanibel Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 272
US$ 241
US$ 281
US$ 265
Seaside Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 191
US$ 281
Kona Kai Motel(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 121
All reviewssliding glass doorthe kitchenwould definitely stay here againbed was very comfortablequiet beachbeach equipmentwasher and dryernice pooleasy accessbeach chairs and umbrellaspetsmicrowaveunitshellssinkcottage
Reviewed 14 November 2011

What a great spot! My boyfriend and I chose to stay here for our first trip to Sanibel. Needless to say we will definitely be back, and will be staying here again! Our room was very clean, big (and I believe it was the smallest on the property), with a great efficiency kitchen. The kitchen had all the essentials and there was a nice table with chairs to eat at. Our beds were VERY comfortable. The area by the pool was very peaceful with plenty of places to sit and even a little table for card playing or eating. There is also free laundry, which is great, and a good selection of books and movies.

Also, although they say there is a three night minimum, Jean was nice enough to give it to us for two nights. So I recommend calling if that is a concern of yours.

From the Inn we were able to walk to the Lighthouse. This also meant we could walk to the Lighthouse Cafe, Pinnochio's for ice cream, and the East End Deli. There is beach access which we used, but I also agree the path is a little muddy so be sure to wear durable shoes. I'm pretty sure it's a public path though, so I don't think the Inn keeper has any responsibility for upkeep there.

A couple of things to note: 1.) the wi-fi was free but the signal was very weak. This could have been bc we were using our phones though and not a computer. Who wants to constantly be checking email on vacation anywah? 2.) although it says so on their website, they no longer have a kayak on the property. 3.) the rooms are pretty close together, right by the pool and sound does carry, so just be aware of that. 4.) the tv in our room (again, the smallest,) was very small and high up, in an akward position for watching. This only mattered to us b/c we were watching a football game. If we hadn't been, we probably wouldn't have noticed or cared.

Overall we really really enjoyed ourselves and will be back!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bambi2040
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for visiting the Sunshine Island Inn. I always take into consideration any comments made by our guests. Sanibel's average rainfall for October is only 3 inches - this year we experienced over 11 inches - and yes the beach path did get a little difficult to navigate. Luckily the rainey season is over and the beach path is once again high and dry. Hope to see you in the future. Jean

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Jean was absolutely wonderful in helping us make our vacation delightful. We stayed with our 2 small dogs, and had the Banyon Beach Cottage. The pool is 2 steps outside the door, and the beach directly across the street. There are many options for walking your dog, both on the paved sidewalks, the neighborhood behind the inn and the beach. It was extremely quiet, and super clean. Laundry on site, parking right outside your cottage.

There are plenty of tables for outside activities; eating, playing cards or games, and tons of beach chairs, umbrellas, caddies to cart the stuff to the beach. Lots of sun and shade at the pool. Nice shell/fish cleaning area on the corner overlooking the Sanibel River. If you have a canoe or kayak, or small boat, you could easily navigate the water right from the inn.

Room Tip: Any room would be fine...some are large efficiencies, Banyon Beach is a 1 bedroom cottage with full kitchen and 2 bathrooms. The living room has 2 day beds that are extremely comfortable. This cottage also allows for the option of having a second full bedroom and bath included. The kitchen table is small for more than 4 people, but there are plenty of outside tables that could be used for large group gatherings.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank srainone
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

It was a real pleasure meeting you both and your cute pups. I appreciate your review and hope to see all of you again.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

A cute, well kept hotel with small kitchenette in a quiet area of Sanibel. Close to the "downtown". I agree with jnmj, with so many "private"condos now on beach side, the public path is not great, especially after rain. Some crushed seashells laid down as is around the inn would help. A leashed pet is allowed on the beach, so it is too bad that pets are not allowed in the sea side hotels.. so we were glad to find this inn. We would have loved having the ability for a late check out. This inn is clean and very cute. The area is safe. The pool is very near to room's sliding glass doors. There are chairs and pool toys for kids, and beach umbrella, beach towels and beach chairs for adults and a BBQ for each room. A pool deck area to lounge around under exotic foliage. A nice three to four day stay.

Room Tip: All face the two steps from glass door pool , but the rooms on the east side face a quiet dock, the ones on the north side face parking and the east side, the very quiet street. All rooms have assigned parking spot.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank C K
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

Thanks for your comments - I hope you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was our first time visiting Sanibel. Not only was the island absolutely to die for (wish I could live there!), but this inn was the icing on the cake. We stayed in a small room by the washer/dryer room, and it was a peaceful, worry-free stay. Very clean and pleasant with extremely personable staff. That goes a long way in my book, and so I just had to emphasize the positive customer service here.

I was extremely pleased that they offered free use of their kayak. My husband and I are avid kayakers, and we took advantage of this exciting perk. We had so much fun!!! It's an ideal way to explore the back waterways of Sanibel. Wildlife everywhere...so interesting.

We also enjoyed walks on the beach at night with the beach less than five minutes away. I think this inn is in a great location--it's private and tucked away, yet it's near quite a few places of interest along with some stores. We will definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BeachLiz
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Thanks for visiting the Sunshine Island Inn. I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to write this review. Hope to see you soon.

Jean, Property Manager

Reviewed 3 September 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Sunshine Island Inn for a quick 3-day getaway during the slow (hot) season. The property is well maintained and our room was clean and comfortable. The Lighthouse Suite included a compact kitchenette area that supplied all the basics, so you can stock up on some groceries if you don't feel like eating out all the time. I'm always a stickler when it comes to air conditioning, especially in Florida during the summer. I'd rate ours a 7 out of 10, so not bad at all. The only thing I would caution anyone on is this...during our stay in mid-August we heard some critters scratching in the wall behind our bed. On the second night it got kind of loud and lasted a while. I told the proprietor about this during checkout and she promised to look into this, so make sure you ask. Other than that, I recommend the Sunshine Island Inn.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jrose36
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Thanks for visiting the Sunshine Island Inn. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. In regards to the scratching you heard, our building is totally secured from anything getting into the walls. After I heard your complaint from my assistant, I had the building checked. The only thing I can imagine is the people in the adjacent room locked their pet in the bathroom, which would be on the wall your beds are on. That room has been booked since you left with no complaints. I hope to see you again.

Jean