“Seems like an undiscovered gem”

Jimotti's Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 244 Restaurants in Sanford
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Had a fabulous first time dining experience here on Saturday night for dinner. Arrived only knowing that the sushi chef had an impressive reputation and otherwise didn't quite know what to expect. It's a little divey and small, surprisingly not in downtown Sanford as I would've assumed a new & popular dining destination to be. We got there shortly after happy hour (5-7) and it was busy, but not full, as we were seated immediately. Our waiter was very friendly and answered our questions politely. We ordered the calamari which comes with a creamy jalapeño sauce that compliments it nicely. It was mostly rings, but that's my preference anyway, so I was pleased. We ordered gyoza as well and I think it was the best gyoza I've ever had. My dining companion ordered two pieces of sashimi, which she thoroughly enjoyed, and a bbq eel roll, her go-to sushi roll, and she said it was the best she'd ever had - very saucy and just the right temperature. I'd never tasted eel before, so I tried a piece of hers. It was very good and very sweet (from the eel sauce); I'm not sure I could tell you what eel itself tastes like. I got a California roll, which they make with real crab and a lot of it. I also ordered an Albacore roll, which had spicy mayo on it and was very good. We were full, but still tempted by the dessert menu. They had black sesame ice cream, which I have never had before, but it was phenomenal. I could've easily eaten another entire serving. The prices were very reasonable and I will definitely be back to try the ramen and other offerings.

Reviewed 11 March 2017

When they say "you cannot judge a book by it's cover" they must have been thinking about this restaurant. The chef is a true food artist - creating imaginative and well presented/balanced creations. The chef develops immensely complex and great flavors, mixed with whimsical creativity.

This is definitely an up and coming chef to keep on your radar.

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I loved everything we had! Nice authentic Japanese spot (I'm from Japan so I know)! Great mixture of food. So glad we have real Japanese food so close to home now!

Reviewed 30 November 2016

This restaurant is a jewel for Sanford. Delicious fresh food, great staff, the chef comes over personally to see how you like your food! Absolutely beautiful presentation.

1  Thank beighley53
Reviewed 24 October 2016

You could drive by this rather ramshackle wooden place on the main road through Sanford and be forgiven for thinking it's an Italian dive bar. It isn't. It's a Japanese dive bar! With a chef who trained at Nobu and Morimoto Asia! This is an izakaya, a pub or sports bar with tapas style food. Yes, they have sushi, but the sushi was only meh. Go for the cooked food instead: tasty hot octopus dumplings, little Japanese sausages, meltingly rich pork belly with crisply sauteed vegetables. The sake is good but expensive. Have a beer instead, and watch the game on the big screen TV if you like. Wednesday is ramen night!