“Bring extra socks!!!”

Knights Inn St Petersburg Tropicana
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My fiance, three year old son and i stayed here we had paid for three days... which was said to be non-refundable. I wish i would've read these reviews before i went. I wasn't expecting the hilton for the price, but they could've cleaned! When we checked in i was excited the girl that checked me in was nice and the office looked good. But when we walked into our room smelled horrible...... i used a whole bottle of febreeze but said i could deal with it.... we left that night and came back to the parking lot packed full not a spot to be found drunks everywhere from the bar attached to the office. We figured since we were going to be out more than in we could deal with it but when we took showers and got out walking to get dressed and to the bed our feet were black... we had to wear socks until we ran out then shoes in the room the whole time. Thats not exactly what i want my three year old walking on. the walls look like they had been wet and was bubbled up in places. there were burn holes in the bed clothes. Also the next day when the housekeeper came she left three washclothes and one towel.. mind you all three of uswere in the room when she came and i figured she left us all plenty of towels. so when we took our next shower i had to go get my son and fiance towels from front desk, and the older lady acted like it such a inconvience. we went and did our thing and came back and only long enough to pack our thingsand go a day early!!!!! when the same older lady asked me if there was a problem and i told her she done nothing to help solve it not even a sorry.... i will not go back! The only nice thing is the location.... also the free internet didnt work the entire time we were there! no surprise though.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 March 2011

If you're accustomed to 3-star or above lodging, you'll be unhappy here. If, however, you're looking for a good value and can deal with true 2-star lodging, this motel fits the bill. First, the good: room size was good and reasonably clean, bed was comfortable, free wifi worked fairly good, mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot were useful, free breakfast (only a make-your-own waffle, donut and coffee left by the time I got there) was a perk, the location provides quick access to major transportation corridors, there's a Waffle House within walking distance and a bar/restaurant attached to the motel, and there's a Race Track gas station with convenience store right next door. The pool looked nice, although I didn't use it. The bad: traffic noise from I-275 is ever-present, the immediate area is pretty run down, it appears construction workers live here full time so you'll see them congregating in the parking lot drinking beer and working on their vehicles, and the carpet in my room desperately needed a steam cleaning.

Some particulars during my stay: I only needed a base from which to go house hunting, so I was away from the motel more hours than at it. The woman at the front desk was efficient, but not particularly cheerful. I ate dinner once at the Vietnamese BBQ restaurant attached to the motel and would recommend going elsewhere for food, but the bar and lounge were nice to have right at hand. In going to bed the first night, I found that the maid had used a fitted double sheet on the king size bed, which didn't stay in place at all once I laid down and made for a restless night fighting the sheets, but that was corrected with the housekeeping the next day. The bottoms of my feet actually got dirty from walking on the carpet. There were cigarette burns all over the table in the room and the rest of the decor is "tired", but was about what I expected for a 2-star motel. All in all, I think the place was a good value for what I paid ($53/night including taxes) and I'd consider staying here again under the same circumstances.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Ok, here's the deal. My wife and I are truck drivers, and have stayed there several times. The main reason we have stayed there is because they have plenty of truck parking. We try to come down a few times a year and fish on the skyway bridge. The last few times we stayed there, I have noticed that the local homeless lay around in the shade of the lot behind the conveince store next to the motel during the day. The last time we stayed there, the vagrants were wandering around the property, one was laid out in the laundry room, and cussed at my wife because she wouldn't give him money. After she notified the management, they called the police and the police came out and made him leave. Early the next morning, ( 3:00 am ), when we left, there was a vagrant sleeping in the gazebo where the previous morning a nice couple sat to enjoy a cup of coffee. It is just wrong to allow vagrants to wander around panhandling on private property. This motel has zero security. I will not stay there again. There is a wing in the back where employees, (family I guess ) live. It would be a smart move for the owner to buy a golf cart, and have one of those employees to ride around the property at night keeping an eye on things.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Nice motel with clean rooms. Couldn't get on the Wi-Fi and the TV picture was fuzzy and hard on the eyes, but I had a good book to read. Location is great for easy access to downtown St Pete. Either bring earplugs or be prepared to stay up until 1 or 2AM because a number of the guests stay outside drinking and carrying on.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2009

The room they gave me smelled like somebody Died in that room, it was a Horrible smell and it was sickening. I told the man when I checked out about it and he didn't even acknowledge it! I would NOT recommend this place to my worst enemy! The pictures look nice but the place don't look like that in person either.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank webb_8