“Excellent food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

Came here not being sure of expectations due to loving Indian food over in England! However, after reading reviews thought would try it out.
What a lovely surprise, food was great!

Son is a big chicken tikka masala fan and is very fussy! He wiped his plate and dish with Nan bread!

We had a chicken kafriyal and a chicken sag, all very tasty dishes.

Will definitely visit again

Service was great and plenty of parking

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The Indian buffet was authentic cuisine. The dished were labeled with the name of the item but we still did not really know what we were eating. However, the server would gladly tell you if you asked. The food was spicy but paired with the flatbread they served you along with the buffet, the spice was toned down a bit if you ate the bread with the protein. It was enjoyable all around and we appreciated the culture of the restaurant but we decided Indian was not really for us....however, the food is lovely and I am sure you will have a great time if you like Indian cuisine.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I have to be up front. I've never been too impressed by Indian Food. But I'm not meat and potatoes only, I love most other Asian cuisines (both americanized and not).

So I've never been too excited about Indian food. Sure, I've had it before. How could I not at nearly 40 years of age? But I've never had Indian food like *this*.

Gateway to India is in an unassuming corner of Pinellas County, surrounded by boat dealers and Seahorse Mobile Home Park. But do not let this inauspicious location steer you wrong.... this place is exquisite.

Upon intering you are teleported far away from the traffic and rushing of Park and Alternate 19. Vibrant colors, friendly faces and most of all the warm smells do not overpower but comfort you, welcoming you. Asking you to sit for a while, and enjoy a meal.

The food? Stupendous. My wife has more affinity with the curries and the masalas than I, and as soon as she took her first bite her eyes went wide with delight. Soldiering forth hesitatntly, I took a bite of my Chicken Tikka Masala (mild, let's not get too crazy here) and it was....

one of the most exquisite blends of flavors, tastes and spices I've ever tasted. In my previous run ins with Indian eats, the chef always seemed to favor one particular spice and made sure to try and knock your teeth out with it.

Not so here. Each taste and spice was carefully balanced with the others. No one took center stage and no one was left out. It was a true, delicious, ensemble.

My wife had the Chicken Korma, which is made with a cashew paste which was also artfully made.

I can't say enough good things about this place. Taste of India has absolutely turned me around on Indian food, and as I write this I find myself salivating and wondering when we'll be going back (soon).

Be on the lookout for an upcoming Great Things Tampa Bay podcast on this one. It'd be a crime for me to not make an episode on this place.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

This was my second visit to Tampa and when I return for my third I'll be heading back to Gateway to India. The service was fabulous and the food even better. 75 of 691 is too low. This place should easily be in the top five.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Our first visit was most pleasant. Service was courteous, friendly and prompt. The waiter was very helpful in answering our questions re several of the dishes. We had the tandoori half chicken, the lamb vindaloo and the fried onion bhaaji. All were very good and well presented. I had the lamb ordered medium hot which I recommend as just right.

We ate to 6pm on a Monday (my birthday) and the restaurant proved quite popular as the patrons began to arrive.

We will return and recommend Gateway to India to those who like Indian food!