“Just say Yes”

Super 8 St. Augustine Beach
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My friend and I stayed for 7 days. The room was clean, no bugs, air worked , felt safe, property was clean, managment and staff were wonderful and reasonably priced. It was a very short walk to the beach and easy to get to. Enjoyed having a pool to relax in when we weren't out doing whatever. I would and will definately stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
GMStAugustinebeach, Manager at Super 8 St. Augustine Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

thank you for your review. we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2011

I booked this through orbitz, and with most hotels, that I use orbitz for? they hate outsiders booking their hotels... usually, that conversation doesn't come up, until after I've been there for a few days, AND usually, I don't use orbitz.

however, I was making reservations for up north, where I couldn't find ANYTHING that I could afford, so I went with orbitz. they offered to help me find a place that took dogs up in virginia, and then asked me about the rest of the trip. So this place came up, and I booked it.

I booked this pretty far in advance, thinking that I wouldn't be able to find anything in peak season. I also called and confirmed this reservation THREE times to make sure all was in order. I even dropped a night, thinking we'd hit biloxi on the way back, just for fun.

however, I must say, the attitude that I got checking in? was shameful. I must say, if you buy into a hotel chain, you must comply with what they offer. If you don't want to run your hotel like that? then buy your OWN hotel, and deny outsiders from booking. DON'T take it out on your customer, and then try to extort more money from them at check in.

Right off the bat? in an empty hotel? the lady at the desk? she didn't want to give me a room. she claimed she knew nothing of our dog, and they had no dog rooms. (mind you, just days ago? I confirmed this reservation) She also said there was a fee for the dog, WHICH I knew about, because it says $15 a night. They tried to get $20 a night from me, and I stood my ground. She basically tried to make me feel like I had no room, and if I did? there was no room for the dog. If I wanted my dog? then it was more... then her child began to give me the what for. then after she and I cleared the air, her husband came out and started in on me. WTF?

I made a reservation, I paid it, and I'm here. here's your extra $30 for my dog, can I have my key?

I got into my room, checked with orbitz, who got two nights paid from me, and no dog charge on it... so I'm fine with that. I had to make sure I wasn't being charged twice.

then the retired folks with two dogs? came over and asked us about our dog. They had a similar reservation, and told $15 as well, then they were told they had to pay $20 a dog. so these snow birds paid $40 for one night, for their two little dogs to stay with them.

I don't like starting out on a wrong foot. I also know that if I had called on my own? I probably would've gotten the room for even cheaper. (or the same) and that money would've been a profit for these folks. HOWEVER, I booked through an agent, and I really don't appreciate the attitude at the beginning of my stay. And their child? its none of his business. that was over the top rude.

now lets get back to the revue. the rooms are nice. spacious. refrigerators, hair dryer, double towels, a bathwater pool, and a jacuzzi. microwave. nice. very nice. you can walk to the beach, its just a great deal.

I will avoid the breakfast, and avoid any conversations for my two night stay with the owners of this establishment. I will caution anyone who decides to stay here? to book direct, and not through a travel agent, or suffer the wrath of disappointed hotel owners, during peak season. (or any season for that matter)

I stay at super 8's because they take dogs, they advertise it, and each one has a little different price for your four legged friends... but I've never encountered such chaos at check in, never. It was unneccesary, because I'd already paid for the room, and it was uncalled for, just to make a point because its a recession. I realize these folks feel ripped off by an agent, but the point of this? its policy, and if you don't want to adhere to it? you need to learn more about corporate policies. Trying to ruin someones vacation isn't a nice thing to do.

also, if you use a credit card HERE? you will be charged double for about a week or so, so they can collect some sort of interest on it. also, in case you break or steal something, which is standard.

also take note, any gas stations here in the south, that are credit only? will put a $60 hold on your card, regardless of how much gas you buy.

recession? or republican state? you tell me.

aside from all my rant? I would definately stay here again, but I'd do it on a drop in basis only, with cash only in hand, no credit card offered. From what I can see? there are plenty of rooms available tonite.

Room Tip: don't book in advance, and don't use credit
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mardiclaw_11
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I was worried about staying here based on some of the reviews- but nothing to worry about. I enjoyed this motel very much. First, the room was perfectly modern and clean. It was as nice as any hotel/motel I stayed in during my 10 days in Florida. I chose the motel because of its location. It was directly across the beach from a great park and the pier and next door to a convenience store (Kangaroo Express). There was also a restaurant and frozen custard shop within easy walking distance. The park had sand volleyball courts (that were quite popular) and a kids splash park. They were both free. There was also a farmer's market, concert, and meal at the park on Wednesday. The pier was open 24 hours and my hubby enjoyed evening/night fishing there very much. Meanwhile my son and I stayed at the motel and enjoyed the heated pool. The pool was nice and warm. My main criticism was that there were not enough chairs and chaises around the pool. The other criticism I have is that the guest laundry was located outside (in a covered area) so the dryer had a hard time drying the clothes because of the outside humidity.

The owners were very involved at the property and were often walking around the property keeping an eye on things. Sue Patel was very nice and friendly. Also, Fred the maintenance man was very nice. I talked to him while I was doing laundry (because the laundry was near his room and he was sitting outside) and he told me to be sure and let him know if anything in our room needed attention.

I would definitely stay here again. For the money, you can't beat it for a near-pier motel.

Room Tip: All rooms are close to the pier!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
GMStAugustinebeach, General Manager at Super 8 St. Augustine Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

thank you for your review.look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

no HBO as indicated in all online advertisements as well as the signage at the motel.
Pool was small and only had 3 lounge chairs.

Manager/Owner Sue Patel is very LOUD. On Saturday while relaxing by the pool she was roaming the property shouting to the housekeepers constantly. Owners teenage son was on the premises...he was also very loud. It was impossible to even read a book at the pool due to the constant shouting from Sue.

Comp breakfast is misleading. Breakfast consists of dry cereal and pre-packaged muffins served in the tiny lobby.

Room Tip: Good value for the price.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Good experience for the 59 dollar rate we got in the beginning of June. We stayed in a pet friendly room that was clean and kept well cool. There's a mini fridge and microwave. Very good value for the money in my opinion.

Great location right across the street from the county public beach (with pier) and volley ball courts. We were there in the middle of the week and were treated by free weekly music on Wednesday as the sun went down. Nice beach neighborhood to walk through as well as miles of public beaches.

The location is very good as well in relation to St Augustine. Just a few miles from the heart of the city, as well as the lighthouse, a couple of forts, the fountain of youth... very well located.

I would recommend this place for budget minded travelers who don't mind a certain lack of refinement in exchange for a great price.

Room Tip: The dog friendly rooms are clean
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Augustine Beach
2.7 km away
St Augustine Island Inn
St Augustine Island Inn
#48 of 78 in St. Augustine
0.8 km away
Best Western St. Augustine Beach Inn
Best Western St. Augustine Beach...
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
#9 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
0.3 km away
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#5 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
2.7 km away
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#64 of 78 in St. Augustine

Been to Super 8 St. Augustine Beach? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK