“Second stay at Casa Monica and not our last.”

Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #15 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
South Florida
“Second stay at Casa Monica and not our last.”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We love the hotel with it's old world charm and history. The location couldn't be better in he middle of the historic area with shops, gallerys', attractions and restaurants steps away. The front desk and reception were very accommodating and pleasant. We booked a package through American Express that included a $50 hotel credit for food/drink and free breakfast.for a very reasonable rate. Actually lower than the AAA rate on the website. We ate in the main dining room to use our credit and was very pleased with entree choices and the service. Excellent evening. My only complaint was the lack of lighting/lamps in the room. There was only two lamps in our huge room and with the heavy dark decor (old world again) the room light was very dim and gloomy. The beds and linens were very comfortable and the bathroom very roomy with lots of lights! While this was a short visit we will be back again to the Casa Monica.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank conniecane10
Anthony L, General Manager at Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
I'm thrilled that your second visit was a great one. I do appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor readers. We look forward to your third visit.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Located extremely conveniently to historic old town St. Augustine, Henry Flagler's restored hotel was a wonderful treat to return to each night after exploring the sights, beaches and eateries. Their signature scent reminiscent of Christmas with touches of bayberry and cinnamon quickly tickles the olfactory senses and signals time to cool off from the July muggy, buggy weather. On the could be improved, small things: the Sunbeam in-room iron was well past its prime and leaked like a sieve never heating to iron my linen and cotton (then again it's vacation, right?); the cheese and fruit tray arrived without cellophane covering and we had to ask to have this protective cover to store; I've rarely felt such an itchy scratchy not at all soft guest robe; the Beach Club while worth a visit at $30/guest room surprised us with additional umbrella and chair rental fees. Really? That was a bit much. The kids pool looked fun, but having none, the adults only was fantastic. Beach is narrow and entry more challenging than other locations; of course service dogs have special rights, but allowing Fido to sit on the chair in the restaurant? I'm sure he was providing superior "Emotional Support" to his owner and could have done so from the floor; Oops, didn't quite get all the short and curlies from the bathroom floor, and rug could have used a second vacuum. Extra pillows had to be requested twice, explanation was "most people don't know a King comes with four..." Now for the Wow!, that's great: our room, upgraded after reserving, by me ($30/night) was a terrific value at FL resident rates with huge window overlooking fountain. The a/c unit was beyond chilly and ceiling fan kept room deliciously cool. Bed, pillows, linens, fridge, all as expected. Restaurant where we lazily ate breakfast had surprisingly tasty fare, nothing fancy, but also not too pricy. My husband, a good ole Southern gentleman, raved about the grits, said their firm yet creamy texture rivaled Grandma's! Eggs Benedict cooked to my exacting standards! Mr. Estes, the Concierge was professional and helpful to me when booking the White Room for their special 4th of July dinner and fireworks observation. The coffee-shop deli was a neat place to stock up on sandwiches/salad for beach days. Service personnel friendly and helpful crafting my one-of-a-kind creations! Beats Publix for sure! Hotel Staff were, with one exception, all very accommodating, mannerly, out-going and welcoming. One day after returning from Anastasia State Park, yes with Igloo cooler in tow, my husband and I were what I'd describe as accosted by a female Staff member definitely insinuating that we may be "lost" by derisively asking if she could "help?" My husband replied kindly and I admit I was not feeling as friendly. I'm over 40, we were modestly dressed, and I feel the attitude was misplaced. That incident aside, our adventure to St. Augustine was a success, the Casa Monica having a strong supporting role! Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank MarissaMontana
Thank you for spending the holiday with us at Casa Monica. I have shared your review with our team as it is a great example of how we can excel and also shows where we can improve in several areas. Striving for consistent excellent service and continuous improvement are constants in our daily existence. I truly appreciated reading your review and thank you for recognizing Mr. Estes.
Leeds
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Our stay at this hotel was an enjoyable experience but as with any luxury hotel, everything comes at a price. There is very little that is complimentary but I have come to expect this at these type of accomodation. There is no free wi-fi that is provided in any location. The only way to gain access is to purchase a drink at the cafe on the ground floor, even basic hotels offer free wi-fi these days. It would be nice though to see the reception staff smile a little more and not look as though their jobs are a chore, only one gentleman greeted me with a smile but alas I cannot recall his name. The rooms are elegant but need more light, also there was very little room to place our luggage as the wardrobe was not large enough to accomodate hanging clothes and placing our suitcases in them. The hotel itself has a lot of history and we enjoyed finding out about the history of the place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very valuable comments. Internet access is complimentary to our hotel guests in the public areas of the hotel (lobby, pool, etc). I will review with the team to ensure we are properly communicating this to our guests. I am glad you enjoyed your experience and we will work on those areas that can use some improvement. Please visit again soon.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Our stay at the Casa Monica for our anniversary celebration was a positive all the way...starting with its excellent location (close to all restaurants, shops, attractions)to the beautiful architecture, artwork in the hotel, the great service provided by its friendly staff...we were delightfuly surprised with a complimentary small bottle of champagne sent to our room along with a card and a phone call from the concierge to congratulate and welcome us to the hotel....but most importantly, the bed and pillows were really, really comfortable :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SamCyn D
, General Manager at Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
First of all, congratulations on your anniversary and I appreciate that you choose to spend your special occasion with us at Casa Monica. Thank you for telling us of your experience and in particular your comments about the service are most appreciated. Please visit again soon and often. You don't have to wait for your next anniversary!
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

I can't believe I have not posted a review about the casa monica! We have stayed multiple times, most recently about 1 month ago. The rooms are pricey but worth it! St. Augustine in general is about history and culture and this hotel defines that. It is right next to the lightner and flagler college so in the most perfect location. The lobby is beautiful and even smells lovely! The rooms are small but remember this building is incredibly old. They have a 3 br suite called the kessler which I have stayed in and is basically a palace but its too expensive to do regularly. The bar area is great with a bar menu and usually live music in the evenings. The drink menu is amazing! I had a cucumber champagne margarita and it was perfect. We have stayed in many bed and breakfasts in st augustine and while none were terrible, the casa monica is far and away the best place in st. Aug!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank tday8412
Well, I certainly thank you for taking the time to tell others of your experiences at Casa Monica, especially because you have visited with us on several occasions. I'm thrilled we have consistently been there for you and hope you continue to make Casa Monica your home when travels bring you to St. Augustine.