“Worth a little extra $” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
pavo ga
“Worth a little extra $”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

My family and I stayed at the Casa Monica recently and it was wonderful. The hotel is beautiful and centrally located and within walking distance to most places. The staff was also quick to respond and courteous to our needs. Would definitely recommend other travelers to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank aubie101
Anthony L, General Manager at Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for your very kind comments. St. Augustine is a pedestrian paradise and Casa Monica is in the heart of the historic district. Very little, if any, need for a car once you arrive. I hope you visit again soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Polish first
Asheville, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Things started out good. Since we were in town early in the day, the staff got a room ready for us a couple of hours early. But then, the parking garage attendant had an angry attitude and threw our bags on the floor. I'm still surprised at this guy -- other personnel were so careful with our bags. When I unpacked, two garments in hanging bags had fallen. One was even crushed at the bottom of the bag. Then our room also turned out to be a bad surprise, looking out on the swimming pool with people walking by our window. We kept the curtains, which were big and black, closed, making the room quite dreary. After that, things went OK until after breakfast. I went ahead back to the room but couldn't make the key card work. The woman at the front desk was so put out with me and rude. When I got back to that dreary room, I was seized with the desire to get away. Since check-out time was just 10 minutes away, the front desk gave us an extra hour to get out and home we went.

Room Tip: Avoid a room on the same level as the pool that looks out on it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EllenFromNC
Thank you for sharing. I am sorry that the valet did not handle your luggage with the care that you can expect and I will certainly review this with the appropriate person. At registration we should have done much better at explaining the location of your room with relation to the pool. Many guests love the poolside location but at registration we certainly can do much better in determining individual requests.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This place will definitely put a dent in your wallet, but for once, it's worth the hefty price tag. Built in 1888, the property is a stunner, with Moorish architectural touches, and has been beautifully refurbished. Our spacious room (I understand some rooms are smaller) overlooked the swimming pool and came with all the amenities you would expect from an upscale hotel, as well as very comfortable beds. A helpful and gracious staff enhanced the experience. And we found we didn't need to use our car after checking in, as we were within easy walking distance of restaurants, bars, shopping and St. Augustine historical sites. The hotel restaurant, 95 Cordova, is pricey and not as good as some other local places we enjoyed more, but it's a lovely and romantic room and the food is certainly good enough. An odd thing for such a luxurious hotel: you can bring your pet, although the one-time fee of $150 is quite high. Still, it's an option if you prefer to travel with your pooch. Overall, a wonderful experience -- highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you can be flexible with your dates, avoid Friday and Saturday nights, when cost of the rooms nea...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 1morefoodie
Thank you for sharing your experience at Casa Monica. While I am pleased that you enjoyed and recommend Casa Monica it is disappointing that your 95 Cordova experience was less than outstanding. We are proud of our restaurants reputation and sorry that we didnt live up to your expectations. Yes, Casa Monica is pet friendly with some very strict guidelines so you will occasionally see one of our 4 legged furry friends. Please come again and visit soon.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here from 3/25 to 3/28. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Typical of Marriott Hotels such as these, parking is $22 per day (Valet is your only option) and wi-fi is not free. The first night we were here the firmness of the bed really hurt my hip joints, since I am a side sleeper. But after this night, I was fine. I guess I got used to it. I saw in other reviews that people didn't like the room sizes being on the smaller side and the walls to be thin. But I think it's important to remember that this is a historic building from 1888, and rooms of that time period were not as large or well insulated as people are used to today. Also, there is way to much to see and do in St. Augustine to be spending much time in the rooms anyways! I found our regular king bed room to be comfortable and spacious enough for the small amount of time we actually spent there, especially since much of that was sleeping!
One of my annoyances with this location is that brunch was $30 per person, and we only learned of this price when we got the bill. Later we saw that the price was listed on a single piece of paper in our hotel room, but we wish the hotel would have been more up front with this, such as a sign or something near the restaurant. Yes, they had crab legs and other wonderful looking and good-tasting food, but by the time we filled up on our first plate we were too full to go back for more and so $30 was way too much for what we got.
My other annoyance was the pool area. It is a nice spot once we found it, but there are no signs advertising where it was located. There were no towels available (luckily we brought our own), and my husband said it was ice cold. For the amount of money you pay to stay, why isn't it heated? For a change of temperature we went in the hot tub and that was so hot I felt ill after 5 minutes. I wanted to order a drink but there was no attendant available. When I was leaving I saw a sign on the wall that said to phone an attendant if you needed a drink or anything else. Who wants to get up and call for someone each time, especially while sunbathing? I think it would benefit the hotel to have someone out there at all times, and maybe even a little bar area.
Overall I recommend a stay here, but skip the restaurants in the hotel and go exploring for other unique places such as the Cafe Alcazar across the street at the Lightner Museum.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ashinyla
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Casa Monica. Your observations are certainly helpful to us. Pool service attendants are now scheduled as of April 1st but the weather was so nice we should have moved up the date to accommodate the needs of our guests. I hope your plans allow you to visit again in the near future.
Fleming Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Our stay at the Casa Monica was fabulous. The hotel is perfectly situated in the Historic part of St. Augustine. It is within walking distance of many attractions and therefore makes getting around very easy. It is beautifully appointed and includes a cafe/deli and an art gallery not to be missed. The staff was very helpful, and friendly and gave us worthwhile tips for our many excursions. The room itself was cozy with great views. The hotel also offers a five-star restaurant, 95 Cordova, which is a must! Perfect for a romantic get-a-way!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mh3boys
Thank you for your very kind words about your recent Casa Monica experience and our charming city of St. Augustine. Our Bohemian Art Gallery has just received several incredible works from the Italian artist Stefano Cecchini. They are amazing and if they were not in place during your visit then you now have an excuse to visit us again.