“Most interesting restaurant I visited”

The Back 40 Urban Cafe
Ranked #9 of 602 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 12
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This restaurant is in an old house, off the beaten path. It is not in the central downtown but it is only about a mile away. The old house is still separated into rooms and there are at least 4 rooms you can choose from or you can sit outside. The food is very reasonably priced and is very good. I especially like the upside down chicken pot pie and the vegetarian chili. Some of the rooms are kind of dark which I particularly like.

1  Thank Dan S

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Delicious, healthy, fresh food for a killer price. You won't get fresh, healthy food in large quantities for such a low price anywhere. The atmosphere is funky, the waitstaff friendly, and the food unforgettable. I have taken all of my family and friends (from all over the country) to this place, and every single person LOVED what they ate.

1  Thank Cat R
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hard to find but worth the looking. The wet burrito was huge and tasty.

1  Thank T C
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Visiting from Kitty Hawk NC, took our 9 and 11 year old boys based on reviews and were not disappointed. We never would have found this spot on our own. Situated in a charming older home, walked in and selected our seat out of several rooms. The Jerk Chicken was amazing and our boys tried a number of items with us. They also had a great pita pizza from my 9 year old that is still a little less adventurous than my 11 year old. Prices were outstanding and we wished would could have tried everything. We arrived early and had no problem getting a seat but by 7:00 it was filling up fast. Fun and Yummy!

2  Thank obxwhit
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Thank you TripAdvisor for without the reviews we stumbled upon for this place, we would not have known it existed. I used to think word of mouth was a great way to hear about good local businesses. But now we have "word of mouse" - a few clicks and we can read rave reviews like those left for The Back 40. We were truly impressed with the quality of the food. It was outstanding. My husband, the meat lover, was happily munching on his meatloaf hamburger and raving about the taste. My friend the discriminating foodie really enjoyed the salad with shrimp. And I had the tastiest fish taco ever. Everyone is right: It's unassuming and you might not stop there based on its modest exterior. But do give it a try. We went out of our way to go and were glad we did.

2  Thank Sargeatlarge