“Disappointed ”

St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park
Ranked #14 of 192 things to do in St. Augustine
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Our visit was not exactly what we expected. We did the long course of 44 obstacles which was supposed to take 90 minutes. After 2,5 hours we had to quit after doing only 30 obstacles because we had prior obligations and had no idea the course would take at least 3,5 hours! It’s a self guided course so if you’re unlucky as we were and happen to be right after 4-member family with two kids who don’t know how to operate the zip line, you will end up waiting at least 5-10minutes at each of the 44 platforms. We didn’t have time to go to the Zoo, didn’t have time to check pictures from Zip line, and had to leave with a huge disappointment.

All reviews
in 50 reviews
"pellets"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Was expecting a touristy zoo, but instead was surprised by many rare species of alligators and crocodiles in enclosures that optimized viewing. Many other types of animals, reptiles, and an amazing bird rookery were also present. You could tell the place was extremely well run and animals were taken care of.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We visited the Alligator Farm and Zoological Park during spring break, so the place was busy, but it did not feel crowded. We reserved our zip line tour two days in advance and am glad we did because the zip line spots were all sold out the day we went to the park.

First, my family reported that the zip lines were great fun. However, there is no guide, so kids are responsible for hooking themselves onto the line. One hook remains tethered at all times, but it would have made me nervous if my child was in the young range. I did see some parents gathered on small platforms helping their younger kids. The teens in my group enjoyed not only zipping but also climbing across rope ladders and climbing up the trees to the next platform. Free park tickets are included with the 90 minute zip package, but those who zipped said they had seen enough of the park from above and weren’t interested in spending too much time there afterwards.

My 15 year old daughter is very cautious and had no interest in zipping, so I stayed on the ground and went through the zoo with her. We caught the alligator feeding, and that was cool. The grounds are lovely, and there were two animal shows. We missed both because we spent over 45 minutes waiting for food at the snack bar twice that day. Most of the combo meals were $9.99, but my daughter and I shared the chicken strip basket and there was plenty of food for both of us. Next time I would probably put my lunch in a backpack or something. The wait got longer as the day progressed. I believe there is only one snack bar.

As a warning, signs throughout the park state that children are not permitted on a parent’s shoulders. The fences are not particularly high, so I was really surprised to see so many people (mainly Dads-sorry) ignore the rule and pop their top heavy toddlers up high. The ponds a full of alligators...just be careful and your toddler will surely enjoy the archeological themed sand box and the playground area and mini rock wall.

All in all, the alligator park was a nice way to spend 1/2 a day when the weather was a bit cool and we were tired of the beach.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had a great trip and timing was perfect to see the alligatoes feeding in the swamp - so cool...my kids loved it. Great place for all