“Excellent”

La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Augustine
Ranked #41 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 14 April 2012

definitely Would stay here again!...awesome friendly staff clean rooms/breakfast area nice hot breakfast nice variety and to add to the value free.... So if you have a big family this would be an extra value saving you money on atleast one of your daily meals..also parking lot very well lite so if your doing any of the night tours not an issue so much light you feel safe coming in at night.rooms don't smell like pets have been there even though its a pet friendly hotel.beds are so soft and comfy..... definitely 5 stars in my book...

• Stayed: April 2012
laquintastaugustine, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Augustine, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us! Our complimentary breakfast, while basic, does save quiet a bit of money for our guests. Your business is appriciated!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Wendy did go out of her way making sure we were happy. My kids loved her... She gave them cookies. Hotel was clean and rates were reasonable. They were dog friendly. Pillows and mattress were comfortable. A great stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Maven1964
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I'm writing this review while I'm staying here. I was going to give them a 4 star rating because the staff is so amazing but I just can't with good conscious. The staff is great compared to other area hotels- very professional. There were just a few drawbacks I can't overlook.

First the good things:
- Staff is amazing.
- The entire hotel is clean
- They allow pets
- Bathrooms are nice
- Breakfast eating area is above average
- The area feels safe

Now the 3 star reasons:

-It's a poor location if you plan on spending a lot of time in St. Augustine. Unless you want to drive 23 minutes to the historic part of the town, 30 minutes to St. Augustine beach, or 35 minutes to Jacksonville all of the time. If you are going to spend time in both Jacksonville and St. Auggie it might be right for you, or if you are traveling on I-95,need a place to stay, and don't mind plunking down $80+ for a room. Some people might not think it's a pain in the butt to drive 25 minutes and then spend 10 minutes in a parking garage or looking for a space, but I see it as a serious hindrance.
-There is at least a 1" gap underneath the doors and sound travels back and forth from the hallway. Also missing the proper insulation on the sides of the doors. I checked and every door on the second floor has this issue. That's a serious no-no for even an average hotel. -- My headboard has greasy handprints on it which can be seen when the sun is setting. I can understand how the cleaning lady missed it. I guess I was sitting in the wrong place at the wrong time.
-The bed frame squeaks with the slightest movement, which is amplified by the huge gap under the door.
- There is a plastic mattress protector over the mattress and under the sheets. I feel like I'm sleeping on one of those things you give to children who wet the bed all of the time. It makes a crinkle sound when you move.
-The pool is very small.

If you plan on being at the beach often stay at St. Augustine beach. If you want to explore the historic city you might want to consider a bed and breakfast or one of the nicer hotels downtown. Be careful about finding discount coupons online for walk in rates. If you pick the wrong season the hotels will be fully booked and rooms go fast. I would use this hotel as a good "last choice" option for the area (for example on the 4th of July- which is a great time to visit this city for the fireworks show near the old fort). If you book ahead of time you will be able to find a nicer place closer to the beach or the historic area where you can walk or ride a bicycle to everything. For food I suggest Caps on the Water just north of St. Augustine. It's the favorite seafood place of most locals I know. Good luck with your hotel choice. It can be hard in this area because reviews are all over the board.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stetzga
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We were travelling from Georgia and called to find out the exit of the hotel - Wendy was a great help finding our way. Jonathan was doing a great job during breakfast and was helpful when we asked about downtown parking and sightseeing. We had a great stay and its close to outlets and the downtown. We will recommend this hotel to friends staying in St.Augustine and will stay here again. We give extra kudos to Wendy as she went out of her way assisting us with beverages in the evening and my teenage daughter wanted some cereal - she got it ready for us. The pool and hot tub was great and our room was very comfortable and clean...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family