“Food was disappointing and service was worse”
Review of 3800 Ocean

3800 Ocean
Reserve with OpenTable
3800 Ocean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 100
Cuisines: American
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3800 North Ocean Blvd
Description: We call it the “collective kitchen.” For the menus of 3800 Ocean are inspired not only by the local abundance of South Florida’s renowned crops that thrive under a hospitable climate, but by the regional flavors that stir the souls of our collaborative team of chefs. Each chef brings a new insight to the table: the comfort food favorites of New England; the fire and spice of Mexico; the Caribbean traditions of Jamaica; and the ageless classics of Long Island. Our own local abundance of fresh produce and seafood allows us to take the collective kitchen dining concept quite literally. Everything is made from scratch. Every taste evokes an emotional connection to a past culinary memory, or perhaps a future craving.
Reviewed 23 September 2018

How disappointing. We stayed at Oceana Palms and walked over to 3800 Ocean. The hotel is gorgeous and we decided to sit outside, which was probably a mistake as we think the waiter forgot about us.

We ordered from their 3- course Restaurant Month menu. The apps were good though the salad tried to have too much going on with it and the mussels were ok, though ridiculously small portion. Once those were finished, we waited over 45 minutes for not just our entrees, but for any staff person to come out and refill our beverages. The Chicken entree was good. The Mahi was disappointing as it was 3 pieces of Mahi, prepped in different ways, on top of mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were ice cold. It could have been the chef making a mistake though we think it was the plates probably sat around for awhile in the kitchen during the wait for the waiter to pick them up and serve them. When the waiter showed up near the end of the course, I mentioned the cold potatoes and he did offer new ones though I declined since didn't feel like eating a bowl of potatoes after the meal.

We again had a long wait for the desserts. Both desserts were delicious. We were lucky enough to have a new server for the desserts who brought us the check right away when we asked for it otherwise we feared another long wait.

Overall, we were disappointed. The food had some high points but also did not deliver in many ways. Definite improvements if 3800 Oceans wants to bill itself as more high end. The outdoor dining was beautiful though.The biggest issue with the place was the server. He was not attentive at all. Gave absolutely no thought to us as we sat there for long periods of time with not even asking about drinks or update on our meals. While in West Palm area, we easily dined at over 20 establishments and this was by far the worst service we had and that includes high end places to a fast casual restaurant in the airport. Very disappointing as we spend a few weeks a year at Oceana Palms each year and we finally decided to try 3800 Ocean but most certainly will not return.

Reviewed 22 September 2018

I used to love to frequent this restaurant specifically for their pretzel roll chicken sandwich with french fries. I was very disappointed this time. It came NOT the way that I ordered it. The fries which USED to be delicious were awful. You were able to taste the very cheap oil that they used to fry them in addition to the quality of the fries. I would of been better going to a drive thru to get better. So I left disappointed and will hesitate to go back. It was good while it lasted.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

We came for lunch and it was wonderful! We were seated by the windows overlooking the ocean. My meal was delicious from the first course crab cocktail to the Caesar Salad and Key Lime Tart for dessert. My husband ordered the Beef/ Vegetable Soup for his first course. It was the BEST we have ever tasted! Our first server was very good, but then he left, never to return. We asked the hostess for a server and a sweet gal came and took our dessert order. We would have given a 5 star rating, but we gave them a 4 because of the disappearing waiter. The views here are outstanding and the food is 5 star! Hats off to the chef! We will return as it was a lovely lunch.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

I had a choice between beef and seafood for the main course as part of the wedding dinner. The food was excellent. Also even the dessert was artistically plated as a work of art. I had the Caesar salad which was tasty. Overall a superb rating on the food and the staff who served us.

Reviewed 22 July 2018

We tried it because we were staying at the Marriott hotel. The restaurant itself is beautiful. The views are amazing, and the seating is comfortable. The flatbreads are high-end and I loved them (although my husband and kids did not like them at all, nor would they eat them - more for me!). The wings were very very good, and was the saving grace for my family, as was the shrimp cocktail.
It took a long time to get our drinks, and it almost seemed as if we were being a bother for asking questions, or ordering more. Again, attentive, and decent service, but wasn't that warm of a feeling. I went back and forth with 3 stars and 4 stars. If I could do 3.5 I would. The overall "feeling" we were left with made me go back to 3 stars. If the service was a little "kinder", then it would have been a 4. It is way too expensive to not feel like you are welcome.