See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I loved it here. It was so quiet and very clean. The screened in porch and the walk to the bay on the boardwalk was my favorite thing.
The first day we were there I actually saw an owl and she was like 7 feet in front of me. That was awesome.
My husband and I got some time alone without a phone or interruptions I will come again and again..

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Reginasob
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I was able to get my cabin at the last minute, due to a cancellation. There was no oil anywhere on the beach, and other than the bugs and the heat, had a wonderful stay.
The cabins are conveniently located on the bay side, and the gulf is about a 5 minute walk across the street. The two bedroom cabin had a large screened porch, a nice eat in kitchen and a living room with TV. I would call the furniture "thrift store" modern. The place was very clean, but the furniture was dated and worn. The beds were very comfortable.

Sue, the owner, was very accommodating, and warned me of a strong fish smell, as the people who just moved out had caught and cooked fish. It is a great fishing area, so this did not bother me. The smell subsided pretty much by the evening.

I brought my dog, who loved the place, and you can let your dogs roam on the beach, but I only did so when there were not a lot of people around. The beaches are absolutely beautiful, like Florida 50 years ago. I just hope too many people don't find this place. That's why I don't go to the east coast or southwest coast of Florida anymore!

There aren't many places to eat around here. I found a great Tiki Bar, Triple Tails which is on the way to Port St. Joe, and they have karaoke on the weekends. It was a blast! Also, Indian Pass Oyster Bar is about a 10 minute drive for awesome oysters, shrimp and beer!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank vinyldoc
Reviewed 12 June 2010

The cottages (there are 3) are located on the bay side w/ a short walk out onto the bay. There is a wooded boardwalk that goes right out onto the bay. The view of the bay is beautiful--esp in the evening hours. The beach is located across the street--about a 5 minute walk. The street traffic is fast but not super busy. The beach is not accessible by car so forget about bringing umbrellas, toys, etc over there as it would be an exhausting haul on foot (esp in the heat).

The cottages are in need of some repairs--screened porch was not usable since the screens weren't intact and the yellow flies are quite fierce there. The shower knob was broken and difficult to adjust for temperature. The bathtub facet was broken--only shower head worked. The AC filter was filthy but AC did work well in spite of the dirty filter. The carpet is stained and old. The mattresses are in need of replacing. They sag badly and are very uncomfortable. We asked Dave (the owner) to change out the AC filter and fix the screen door. He said that he would but never got around to it in the 5 days that we were there...

They do allow for dogs which was great b/c we were able to bring our dog without a fee. However, they also allow for smoking so keep that in mind if you have allergies or asthma. The cigarette smell wasn't overbearing but was noticeable.

We did had a pleasant time in spite of the needed repairs. The cottage was fairly clean and large for the 2 of us and our dog. It is located in a wooded area and is very quiet and peaceful. The kitchen was simple so if you plan on cooking a lot, you'll need plan accordingly.

We will not be going back and I don't know that I'd recommend it to a friend. If they made some changes and fixed the cottages up, I'd consider it. If you are okay with rustic accommodations and don't mind having to walk to the beach or drive to a public beach, then this will suit you well. If you are expecting a vacation with easy access to the beach, this is not for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dogintow2010
Reviewed 5 March 2010

We "found" Whispering Pines searching for a cabin to rent on the Panhandle. What luck! Our hosts, Dave and Sue, were oh so helpful, friendly and hospitable. The cabin was, for us, more like a summer cottage. It was clean and roomy; the sunroom and large deck were a bonus. Lots of pines and palms provided privacy and the peace and quiet was great. We loved hearing the birds; the horned owls were a real treat. Access to the Bay and the Gulf were only a short walk away. The beaches are made for long, leisurely walks and, in February, nearly empty. Whispering Pines is pet-friendly as are the local beaches (except the State Park) so we really regret not bringing our dog...fortunately for him, we'll be back to Whispering Pines next year.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tuckersfolks
Reviewed 24 October 2007

I was traveling solo on a spur of the moment getaway. This was in late October, so the weather here was kind of a mixed bag, sometimes torrential rains, and others beautiful with sunny, with mid eighty degree days. Prior to 2005 with Hurricane Dennis and Ivan, Navarre Beach was my playground, but after dumping a bit over a grand for a week in what was essentialy a relief area, I decided to branch out. I had read about Cape San Blas and nearby St. George Island, and wanted to take a look. Both are incredible. With not a high rise condo in sight, and not too many McMansions, the dominating feature of CSB, is it's towering sand dunes. These are like mini mountain ranges of white sand, palmettos, sea oats and other tropical vegetation. After stopping and talking to a few of the local condo pimps, I noticed that supply greatly exceeded demand, and that they preferred zero $$, and wanted to play "hose the tourist", in an off peak month. I chose not to play, and found Whispering Pines just by doing a drive by. It was perfect. Four clean cabins lie behind the owners house, the vegetation is so thick, that you really can not see the other cabins or the house. Each cabin as two bedrooms, a screened in porch, and a deck. This aint the Ritz-Carlton, and some of the furnishings had seen better days, but all I really cared about was cleanliness, privacy and location, at a reasonable price. I expect to pay a beach premium, and was prepared to spend substatially more, but did not need to. Whispering Pines is a bargain, and the owners host a nice coctail hour in the early evenings. Show up if you feel like it, or do your own thing. Very nice classy people (are you reading this, condo pimps?). I highly recommend Whispering Pines, it's your vacation, and I really don't care what you do, but if you enjoy solitude, peace, and the freedom to take a midnight stumble outside to take a leak off the deck (not that I am remotely capable of such), then this is your place!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo