“Midweek surprise”

Price range: US$ 22 - US$ 70
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Corner House dates back to the 1830’s and has been a hostelry, wheelwrights and blacksmiths before being given a facelift and the new name of The Corner House in 2012. First and foremost now - it's all about our passion for good food, a warm welcome and friendly service. All dishes are freshly prepared by Head Chef Ross and his talented kitchen team, who only use the freshest and finest ingredients from the best local suppliers, with seasonal variation ensuring menus change frequently. Families are very welcome - with a children's menu for younger guests and vegetarian options are always available. Our set Lunch Menu offers plenty of delicious dishes , whilst our A la Carte is available Monday to Friday lunchtimes and evening, plus Saturday from 2pm to 6pm. On Sundays our 2/3 course set menu is available from midday to 8pm. If you have a special occasion to plan - just speak to the team who help organize many different celebrations and events every year. See you soon!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Haven't been for a long time but wednesday 4th April, (knackered from clearing out a shop - another story!) had not booked went in for a 2 course bar meal with a bottle of Sauvignon. Had the prawn cocktail and a gammon steak and I can only say it was the best meal well presented and cooked that I have had eating out in months. My wife had fish and chips and again - first class. Friendly, attentive service - still hate thw wall paper but hey great value at £48 for 2 including the wine.

2  Thank carolynhall52

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Three of us went for lunch and ordered from the lunch menu which had a very good selection. The food and service were excellent

2  Thank 578Chris
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I can’t fault this restaurant! I have been 3 times so far in 2018, 2 birthday meals with groups of 10 plus and a first date! The first date being the most recent.

I can’t lie, I’m a creature of habit. So every time I’ve been I’ve had the Chicken Liver Parfait for starters. I’m not a fan of pate but there’s something about this dish that makes me want more! The date ordered cod goujons(sp?) and they too were delicious! In the groups I think that they have tried everything on the starter menu! My uncle says the black pudding is the best he’s ever had! But I can’t comment as I don’t like black pudding so haven’t tried it at the Corner House.

For the main I’ve had the buffalo burger, very tender and tasty. I’ve had the roast dinner with chicken, this was up there with some of the nicest roasts that I’ve ever had! I love Yorkshire puddings but I wasn’t a huge fan of this one (sorry). The last time I went I decided to order the steak and ale pie after a recommendation from another family member. It was huge! Very tasty as well. My date had the buffalo burger.

Then came my favourite. The whole reason that I took my date here. I ordered the warm bakewell pie with black cherry amaretto ice cream. I’ve had it every time and it’s the reason I’ll alwaus come back! One time the chef made a mistake and accidentally put cheese on it! Luckily I wasn’t there that day, j have a cheese allergy! Every time I’ve been though it’s been top quality (the first time I got someone to test the pie for me first lol). Ice also tried the warm chocolate brownie and ice cream that my daughter ordered when she came with the group meal. That was very rich and sweet but also delicious. My date ordered the sticky toffee pudding. I don’t like it but tried it anyway. Didn’t like the taste but the aftertaste really was amazing!

They really do cater for everyone, my daughter is 8 when I took her in February 2018, and with her 2 cousins they were all made to feel really special. On my date we were given a quiet table and the staff couldn’t do enough to help.

This is my honest review of the Corner House in Wrightington. Highly recommended and I will be back. That’s a promise!

1  Thank NYCSavage
Reviewed 28 March 2018

We went for a Sunday evening meal with the extended family, 9 of us in total, at this pub in a lovely countryside setting. Had a swift half in the bar and were then shown to our table. Food was very nicely presented, promptly served and there was plenty of it, all of us enjoyed our meals, and most had a different option to anyone else in the company. The menu offers a better choice than your normal pub grub, but does include a standard Sunday roast. Prices are a bit higher than you may expect, but the location and quality of food explain that away. Service was very good, with the exception of one member of staff who was clearly unhappy to be serving a larger group of people, and never raised even half a smile for the 2 hours or so that she was serving us (the facial piercing may have been paining her, but no reason to take it out on the customers). That aside, a very pleasant evening was had by our family (what's with the numerous English flags outside, not advertising for custom from the EDL hopefully?)

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Visited this afternoon and was delighted with the service we received!!! Harriet, Rachel and Lucy C were brilliant. They were attentive yet not obtrusive, and always with a smile. The food was excellent, will definitely visit again

2  Thank Anne M