All reviewsvillage pubgood selection of aleslovely villageroast beefsunday lunchhome from hometwo nightsfull englishlandlordcharactermaceratorspitfireciderstarters
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

OK experience- the pub is lovely and full of character and the village is beautiful

My room had a wonky shower and there was some kind of plumbing noise at night.

It was an OK experience for the price. Breakfast was nice.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Travel F
Alan W, Public Relations Manager at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Travel F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your visitor experience with our team,

We are delighted that you enjoyed the breakfast provided during your stay along with many elements of your visit.

Here at The Crowne Aldbourne we encourage all guests to share any concerns with us during your stay - as we appreciate the opportunity to offer a solution to any concerns that may arise.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back one day in the future. Once again, we want to thank you for taking the time to hare your thoughts, as we are always looking for new ways to improve our visitor experience.

Kind regards,

Heidi-Louise Sum
Online Media Manager

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Sat outside overlooking the pond,had a super lunch of house burger and ploughman’s.Both abundant portions,so much so ,had to forgoe the homemade apple pie.My husband had the guest ale which went down a treat,we were made to feel very welcome,by the owner and bar lady,we will be back to take in all the comings and goings in this lovely busy village.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank laura h
Reviewed 27 May 2018

Just Last week My Partner and I, were out by Aldbourne! I said to her! can we go into the Crown! just more out of interest! as I used this Pub a lot back in the 60's! to me, the Pub hadn't changed much! it was very quiet! so we decided we'd have some Lunch! and very nice Meal it was too! Bonus to they let us bring our Dog in! We got chatting to a Lady and Man they were Locals nice People! I found they knew some of the people I knew back in the Sixties! anyway, the Barmaid Lulu was excellent very helpful! and the young Lady who brought out our meals! we loved it so much next Sunday where going to have Sunday Roast at the Crown! I would recommend
anybody go visit your right by the Village Pond thank you, everybody, at the Crown and the two locals for making us feel so welcome! Nige Lyn

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
15  Thank cushman1948
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Dropped into Aldbourne and the Crown. Nice bar full of locals. Very busy and good atmosphere. Good selection of ales. We tried three and missed out Spitfire which I do not like. Timothy Taylor’s Landlord was on which is a favourite. Guest ale is on at £2.50 per pint. Usually pints in this part of the world touch £4. Meal was ok but not brilliant. Nice pizza but scampi was a bit scruffy on the plate. Crumble sweet was burnt on top and duly replaced.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ijmark
Reviewed 19 July 2017

A very pretty village, old pub - accommodation really not up to scratch.
One doesn't expect Dorchester standards in a village pub but this place is beyond the pale. Was not welcomed by Landlord - merely tolerated would be about right, moaned about how ill he was and didn't offer to carry case upstairs. Stairs to accommodation very grubby and not a good first impression. Room 4: dusty (but sheets were clean, altho' mattress was thin and poor), large crack (over 1 inch) in one corner of bedroom wall, lots of cobwebs over the bed, room only serviced one day despite being there 3 nights. A dirty, torn single mattress on the landing outside the room added nothing to the ambience. Room was very noisy - could hear every word of conversations in the bar below when loud music was not playing, when it was couldn't hear anything but that. Loo was one of the electric type - it started making a horrendous noise at 5am one morning - went on for over half an hour - this needs sorting out. When I returned to the room on Sunday evening the bed had not been made and bathroom not done, hospitality tray not re-filled. Waited for ages for a meal in the bar on first evening (didn't risk it on 2nd & 3rd. Landlord's stinking yappy dog at my feet for breakfast on two mornings - not the dog's fault but landlord needs to do something about it, eg train it, bathe it, or keep it out of breakfast room.
On the day I was leaving I wanted to load car before breakfast (said to be served at 7.30) - couldn't get out to car because front door & side gate locked, was told key fob should have opened gate - it didn't (I tried six times) had to bang on what I worked out was landlord's door at 7.45 - he eventually opened it wearing a bathrobe (this was after I'd rung the contact bell on the landing more than once). When I asked for the bill he made it up for full amount - I felt I had to say I expected a deduction for that day's non-existent breakfast.

The village is beautiful and I had a lovely time seeing friends, but the accommodation was a big let down. When I next visit I'll stay at the nearest Premier Inn/ Days Inn or similar establishment - it couldn't be worse than The Crown with Mr Grumps, old inns can be quaint, pretty and delightful - this was none of those things. £80 a night for this level of service is far too much. A smile and a friendly word would have gone a long way but never saw or heard this.
Whoever gave this accommodation 3 stars needs to revisit and do a serious re-assessment. (Not sure why T/a asks about a 'free' breakfast - isn't free if it's included in the price.)
Avoid this place if you want just about reasonable standards.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms - stay elsewhere. (Problem is that the only other pub in the village doesn't have accommodation.)
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo