“It Might Be Low Budget But Don't Overlook These Hotels” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Orlando Theme Parks - Major Blvd.

Extended Stay America - Orlando Theme Parks - Major Blvd.
Ranked #221 of 334 Hotels in Orlando
Orlando, Florida
“It Might Be Low Budget But Don't Overlook These Hotels”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

My experience in the past year covers two Extended Stay America Hotels and one thing I must say is; they are not all created equal. Not that any particular hotel is bad, just that there are differences.

The Extended Stay America at Universal Studios, and it really is within walking distance, is a distinct cut above my "other" experience.

First impression as I walked into the lobby was, small but very clean and welcoming. The staff were as courteous and helpful as in any premium hotel in the area. A hotel room is a hotel room, aside from the small but functional kitchenette, but the bed is comfortable and the suite is clean, although you do get the impression it's been a while since the last remodel.

Having stayed there for a couple of months now I've had a chance to get the feel of day to day operation, especially the housekeeping and front desk. Again, you would be hard pressed to find complaint with either since both are at the same level as you would find in all the other attraction hotels in the area (and there are a few).

This really is an interesting concept, blending itinerant traveler business with medium and long term occupancy and I must say, for the most part it works very well.

My one pet peeve, smoking, has on one or two occasions given me cause to think I need to relocate - either to another room or to another, non-smoking property. Despite the fact that some guests are staying in non-smoking rooms doesn't always stop them and there appears to be some room to room connection via the exhaust fans in the bathrooms. But, in their defense, that can happen in any hotel, at any time. Again, the staff are always eager to help in any way they can. Perhaps the separation of smoking/non-smoking rooms by floor, or some other clear boundary between them can be achieved. Maybe smoke detectors in the non-smoking rooms would be a deterrent.

But for all of that it's the price that really gets your attention, particularly if you're here for a medium to long term stay.

In the end it's all about value. You certainly don't have to sacrifice much for the difference in price and I would certainly recommend checking out this particular property.

There is even an upgraded version of this property very close by, Extended Stay Deluxe. I would like to check that out once my budget allows.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, request rooms as far away from smoking rooms as possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Bob-Proctor
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Callahan, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

This was a reasonably priced hotel. The only down was that they only had a room left that was queen bed and smoking. We wanted 2 beds and smoking. The room was clean otherwise. Nice location. Very nice staff. Easy check in and easy check out.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jessica C
Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel that is within walking distance of Universal Studios,this is your place.The hotel is showing it's age as far as the room furnishings and old analog TV's and old washing machines and dryers but it is kept clean and neat by the cleaning staff who did their jobs well.I made my reservations on the hotel's website because it was cheaper than the pricing that was coming up on the booking websites such as Booking.com,Travelocity and other sites.My wife I and stayed for 7 nights and it only cost us $433.00 which included a full room cleaning during the middle of the week.We were there during the busy holiday week of 12/26/2011 to 01/02/2012 but the hotel had plenty of parking spaces on all sides and we never had a problem finding a space even when we came back late in the evening.There are a lot of budget eating and dining locations nearby including the Golden Corral Buffet,a Burger King that was open 24 hours and a Wendy's that was open until 2 AM that was within walking distance of the hotel.You also have a few shopping malls nearby such as the Millenia Mall and the malls on International Drive but the traffic on International Drive can be horrible going to those malls. All in all it was a nice place to stay if you are looking for a clean and decent place to sleep after a day in Orlando and I would go back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you like sunlight ask for a room in the back of the hotel and for some quiet stay on the top floo...
2 Thank poconohall
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed here one night while visiting Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. The price was right (under $50). The room was basic, large and clean. We didn't spend much time there, except to sleep. Which is unfortunate because my major complaint is the bed being so hard. We called a taxi ($5+ tip) to take us to City Walk at night (cheaper than parking/safer than driving!). This hotel does seem to sit farther back in a more "dimly lit" area. The women at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. We asked for a room away from the elevators and we got the farthest room possible. I'm sure you could spend a few bucks more and stay somewhere nicer, but we go what we needed (a place to call home for a night). This hotel allows smoking and you can smell it all over the hallways of the non-smoking rooms.

2 Thank SicaAM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

After working in the hospitality industry for over 10 years, with the first 3 years as a Front Desk agent, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty familiar with proper protocol. During my stay, I made a mistake, the front desk/hotel staff made some mistakes, but in the end, the hotel manager made an attempt to smooth things over.

My mistake - I booked our room reservation to begin on December 24th. We had a change of plans and arrived early that morning at 5:30am. With check-in technically not being until 4pm, it meant that we would have to pay for an extra night. No problem.

Their mistake - When I went in to try and check in, I was told by the front desk agent that we'd have to pay a "walk-in" rate of $123 - twice the amount of our nightly reservation rate and equal to more than half of the total price that we paid for our entire stay at the hotel. I was baffled. After nearly 30 minutes of back and forth with the front desk agent about the rate, she finally relented and agreed to charge us $67 which was what we were paying for the rest of the night in our reservation. I was thankful, but after listening to her spit out insincere apologies about not being able to do anything about the higher rate, and then finally agreeing to a lower rate after I turned up the heat, it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Why not just do the right thing from the beginning?

We were also traveling with 2 dogs, and had to pay $25 per night for a pet fee. No problem. Being contacted by another front desk agent the next morning a being commanded to come down to the desk and pay $12.50 in taxes on the $100 pet fee - big problem. We were going to be on property for 4 days and had a credit card on file, so I found the nature of this request to be a bit offensive.

We thought we'd put the customer service issues behind us, until we got a call on our last day there from a different front desk agent informing us that "a staff member" reported that we had 2 dogs and that I would need to come to the desk and pay another $100. Considering the fact that the lady who checked us in commented on how cute our TWO dogs were, I was confused. Fed up with rude/pushy front desk reps, I requested that the manager call me.

The manager called us back and was extremely helpful. I expressed concern about some of the encounters that we had with some of his staff and he was very open to hearing my feed back. He apologized for some of the occurrences and informed us that his property actually had a 1 pet per room policy, and because we hadn't been informed of that policy, he would not charge us the additional $100.

The room is a basic no frills kind of thing. The furniture, bed linens, etc. are pretty worn, and would really add value to the room if they were upgraded. Because I'm a hotel vet, I know that this property could be better.

The location is perfect, putting you within minutes of Universal Studios and I-drive. There is also a TGIFriday's nearby and quite a few other restaurants, drug stores and gas stations. The location, in my opinion, is the highlight of this hotel.

Would I stay here again?  Probably not. Customer service goes a really long way with me...it's the hospitality industry after all. Although the manager was extremely helpful and extended us the courtesy of not charging us the additional pet fee and allowing us to stay through the end of our reservation with our 2 dogs, I still can't get past the overall experience that we had with the staff. And once you factor in the basic/minimal nature of the room itself, it's just not a place that I'd want to be stay again.

Thank you again to the manager for doing the right thing and showing us the "southern hospitality" that states across the south are known for, and their residents accustomed to.

• 2 of 5 bubbles