Extended Stay America - Orlando Theme Parks - Major Blvd.
Ranked #244 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This was a reasonably priced hotel. The only down was that they only had a room left that was queen bed and smoking. We wanted 2 beds and smoking. The room was clean otherwise. Nice location. Very nice staff. Easy check in and easy check out.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Jessica C

Reviewed 5 January 2012

If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel that is within walking distance of Universal Studios,this is your place.The hotel is showing it's age as far as the room furnishings and old analog TV's and old washing machines and dryers but it is kept clean and neat by the cleaning staff who did their jobs well.I made my reservations on the hotel's website because it was cheaper than the pricing that was coming up on the booking websites such as Booking.com,Travelocity and other sites.My wife I and stayed for 7 nights and it only cost us $433.00 which included a full room cleaning during the middle of the week.We were there during the busy holiday week of 12/26/2011 to 01/02/2012 but the hotel had plenty of parking spaces on all sides and we never had a problem finding a space even when we came back late in the evening.There are a lot of budget eating and dining locations nearby including the Golden Corral Buffet,a Burger King that was open 24 hours and a Wendy's that was open until 2 AM that was within walking distance of the hotel.You also have a few shopping malls nearby such as the Millenia Mall and the malls on International Drive but the traffic on International Drive can be horrible going to those malls. All in all it was a nice place to stay if you are looking for a clean and decent place to sleep after a day in Orlando and I would go back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you like sunlight ask for a room in the back of the hotel and for some quiet stay on the top floo...
3  Thank poconohall
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed here one night while visiting Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. The price was right (under $50). The room was basic, large and clean. We didn't spend much time there, except to sleep. Which is unfortunate because my major complaint is the bed being so hard. We called a taxi ($5+ tip) to take us to City Walk at night (cheaper than parking/safer than driving!). This hotel does seem to sit farther back in a more "dimly lit" area. The women at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. We asked for a room away from the elevators and we got the farthest room possible. I'm sure you could spend a few bucks more and stay somewhere nicer, but we go what we needed (a place to call home for a night). This hotel allows smoking and you can smell it all over the hallways of the non-smoking rooms.

2  Thank SicaAM
Reviewed 28 December 2011

After working in the hospitality industry for over 10 years, with the first 3 years as a Front Desk agent, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty familiar with proper protocol. During my stay, I made a mistake, the front desk/hotel staff made some mistakes, but in the end, the hotel manager made an attempt to smooth things over.

My mistake - I booked our room reservation to begin on December 24th. We had a change of plans and arrived early that morning at 5:30am. With check-in technically not being until 4pm, it meant that we would have to pay for an extra night. No problem.

Their mistake - When I went in to try and check in, I was told by the front desk agent that we'd have to pay a "walk-in" rate of $123 - twice the amount of our nightly reservation rate and equal to more than half of the total price that we paid for our entire stay at the hotel. I was baffled. After nearly 30 minutes of back and forth with the front desk agent about the rate, she finally relented and agreed to charge us $67 which was what we were paying for the rest of the night in our reservation. I was thankful, but after listening to her spit out insincere apologies about not being able to do anything about the higher rate, and then finally agreeing to a lower rate after I turned up the heat, it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Why not just do the right thing from the beginning?

We were also traveling with 2 dogs, and had to pay $25 per night for a pet fee. No problem. Being contacted by another front desk agent the next morning a being commanded to come down to the desk and pay $12.50 in taxes on the $100 pet fee - big problem. We were going to be on property for 4 days and had a credit card on file, so I found the nature of this request to be a bit offensive.

We thought we'd put the customer service issues behind us, until we got a call on our last day there from a different front desk agent informing us that "a staff member" reported that we had 2 dogs and that I would need to come to the desk and pay another $100. Considering the fact that the lady who checked us in commented on how cute our TWO dogs were, I was confused. Fed up with rude/pushy front desk reps, I requested that the manager call me.

The manager called us back and was extremely helpful. I expressed concern about some of the encounters that we had with some of his staff and he was very open to hearing my feed back. He apologized for some of the occurrences and informed us that his property actually had a 1 pet per room policy, and because we hadn't been informed of that policy, he would not charge us the additional $100.

The room is a basic no frills kind of thing. The furniture, bed linens, etc. are pretty worn, and would really add value to the room if they were upgraded. Because I'm a hotel vet, I know that this property could be better.

The location is perfect, putting you within minutes of Universal Studios and I-drive. There is also a TGIFriday's nearby and quite a few other restaurants, drug stores and gas stations. The location, in my opinion, is the highlight of this hotel.

Would I stay here again?  Probably not. Customer service goes a really long way with me...it's the hospitality industry after all. Although the manager was extremely helpful and extended us the courtesy of not charging us the additional pet fee and allowing us to stay through the end of our reservation with our 2 dogs, I still can't get past the overall experience that we had with the staff. And once you factor in the basic/minimal nature of the room itself, it's just not a place that I'd want to be stay again.

Thank you again to the manager for doing the right thing and showing us the "southern hospitality" that states across the south are known for, and their residents accustomed to.

Reviewed 21 December 2011

Good budget hotel that delivers what it promises without frills. Good points: free parking, WiFi at a sensible one-off cost, laundry, good location. Bad points: kitchen not well laid out and very badly equipped - no spoons mugs or usable knife.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family