Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
New yORK
“A good stay”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Accomodated our needs for 2 connecting rooms. Rooms clean and comfortable. Very friendly and helpful staff. Charlotte gave us good advice. Breakfast was good but boring after 2-3 days. Overall a good stay and would stay there again. Suggest Millers Orlando Ale House accross the street for good food and value

1 Thank STVN105
wingtateuniversal, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
It is a pleasure to see that we were able to accommodate the request of providing the connecting rooms during your stay. I appreciate the review and will inform Charlotte of the great job she is doing in helping our guest. As for the breakfast I will make sure we try to switch it up on daily basis. We have many great restaurants within walking distance and one of my favorites is the Ale House. It’s a great restaurant to watch sports and have good food. Overall it is a pleasure to see that our hotel made your stay comfortable and we welcome you back anytime! We hope that Wingate by Wyndham at Universal will be your only choice if you ever need a place to stay while in Orlando.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We just returned from a visit to Orlando. We chose this hotel for its location but will NEVER stay here again. After a day spent at Universal, we returned to our room about 6:30 pm on January 15 only to find that our phone charger had been demolished (see photos). The charger was left plugged in behind the night stand. No other plugs (those belonging to the hotel) were damaged or even pulled from the wall. I immediately went to the front desk, damaged charger in hand and asked for a manger. No manager until the next morning. The front desk staff did call the manager who kept saying that it was not the hotel's responsibility. The manager, Rogi, did call the hotel engineer to see if they could find a charger, but was otherwise nasty and unhelpful. The morning of January 16 I again asked for the manager who did not arrive until around 10 am; I finally saw him about 10:30. He was not helpful, said he could not speak to the person who cleaned our room as she was not working, and kept insisting that it was not the hotel's fault that someone damaged the phone charger while we were out. He did not offer to replace the charger nor did he offer any other assistance. Rogi did say that the hotel (he used the word "we") had been paid so it did not matter what I did or said. After a heated exchange, I left to return to my room prior to leaving the hotel. I was followed into the elevator by a rather large man who had been present during my exchange with the manager. This man had no identification and had been told by the manager to stay out of the discussion. He kept asking about the problem but, despite repeated requests, did not identify himself. When, for the third or fourth time, I stated that I would not speak with him unless he gave me a name, he said he was the hotel owner (still unnamed). He followed me into my room and asked what happened and what I wanted him to do but would not listen to anything I said. This individual did state that housecleaning did not clean behind or under furniture during a guest stay and only did so between guests. His following me, refusing to identify himself and entering my room made me and my daughter very uncomfortable and a bit frightened. We left the hotel shortly after, feeling threatened and uncomfortable. We will never stay in this place again and are unlikely to stay in any Wyndham by Wingate hotel in the future. This was, bar none, one of the worst hotel experiences we have had anywhere.

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay
4 Thank 614travel
wingtateuniversal, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
I understand that you recently encountered an issue here at the Wingate by Wyndham. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. This guest has complained to the following companies: Expedia, AAA, AARP, and Wingate Corporate. All four companies heard both sides of the story and sided with hotel as not responsible and did not give any credit to the guest. The guest came down Sunday evening to the front desk and was very upset about the phone charger being damage while she was away. She insisted that she speaks with the GM immediately. We are a 100 room hotel and unfortunately we do not have a manager on duty during the evening. Yet, as the GM I am on call 24/7. So the agent called me that evening and placed the guest on the phone. After several minutes of being yelled and cursed at, I immediately apologized and said lets first let’s fix the issue. I did not state we are not responsible or offered any resolution as I wanted to calm her down and find a charger. The guest was claiming that she had to leave early the next morning and if she did not charge her phone it would complicate her travel. I understood and apologized again several times and said let me speak to the engineer on the property. I told my engineer to go to my lost and found with her and find a blackberry phone charger so she can charge her phone. Success, we were able to find her a phone charger immediately and she went directly up to her room. I spoke to my engineer and front desk agent afterwards and both said she was content with the new phone charger. I did arrive to the hotel late on Monday morning as I had a breakfast meeting scheduled. It was a holiday Martin Luther King Day, Monday. I spoke to her at the front desk and kept insisting to speaking with the housekeeper. I did tell her she was not working that day and ultimately I am responsible for everyone at the hotel, guest or employee. I looked over her claim and said I will not be able purchase a new phone charger as I already gave her a functioning phone charger. I do not have proof that the housekeeper broke the charger or if the guest broke it. I did mention that on the back of the door it does state the hotel is not responsible for any guest’s items that are stolen, damaged, or lost. When she heard this she became even more irate and started to use profanities. The guest said that she is not paying for the room. I told her that she prepaid her reservation with Expedia and everything had already been charged. I did end the conversation as I cannot help anymore. As she left the front desk she screamed out very loud vulgar language. The owner followed her and asked her to please calm down and he did in fact state his name. He stated his name three times to her and said please show me where and how you think your phone charger was damaged. He even said his name in front of a guest who was asking her to not use profanities in front of her kids. They both went up to the room and she let him in. If she was calm, collected, and reasonable I would run to phone store and buy a new charger. I am truly sorry that it ended up this way.
Fairport, New York, USA
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights this past August with our 2 children. It's very close to Universal. In fact, we could see the tops of the roller coasters from our room. The breakfast provided every morning is the best complimentary breakfast at any hotel I've ever stayed at. They constantly replenish it and clean up the counters during breakfast time. The selection of items is great. Our room was neat and clean. The hotel has an "upscale" look to it. The staff at the front desk was always pleasant and helpful. Our kids loved the pool and hot tub, although we were too busy to use them much. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone looking for a budget friendly hotel in Orlando.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
wingtateuniversal, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment and positive feedback about your stay. Indeed our location is adjacent to Universal and close to other attractions. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed breakfast and your room was perfect. Overall it is a pleasure to see that our hotel made your stay comfortable and we welcome you back anytime! We hope that Wingate by Wyndham at Universal will be your only choice if you ever need a place to stay while in Orlando.
Accident, Maryland
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed here Jan 1 to Jan 5, 2012. We booked this room as part of a Harry Potter Universal package because it met what we were looking for--close to Universal, queen beds, decent breakfast, microwave/refrigerator, and hot tub. We had 2 rooms for 6 of us. We arrived early, but they were able to get us in before 2:00. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Since it was quite chilly we were glad to climb into the hot tub when we returned from the park. We had a rental car so drove to area restaurants (nice to have fridge for leftovers!), but there are several nice ones within walking distance. We really enjoyed the adjacent IHop as the staff there were very attentive. The breakfast area was combined with the lobby/TV area, which made it nice for us to eat carry-in meals and watch the bowl games. My daughter and I walked to the park one evening, and it took 25 minutes to get to the main entrance (you use the valet parking elevator). The walk was pleasant as there is a nice walking path. There is an Itrolley stop near by, and daily tickets can be bought next door at the Quality Inn--my sister and her family did this one day. The free wireless internet worked well for all of us, and it sure was convenient to be able to check the weather quickly as well as double check park hours and plan what we wanted to do the next day. I would highly recommend this hote.

1 Thank landerslp
wingtateuniversal, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 8 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment and positive feedback about your stay. I am glad to see you booked the Harry Potter Universal Package as we are a preferred Universal Hotel. The Harry Potter Ride Experience is such great time for the kids and family! Good to see that you also took advantage of everything my hotel has to offer. Being located in a great area has many advantages, as you experienced. It is a pleasure to see that our hotel made your stay comfortable and we welcome you back anytime! We hope that Wingate by Wyndham at Universal will be your only choice if you ever need a place to stay while in Orlando.
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We arrived early at the hotel as we were already in town. I asked staff if it was possible to check in early and after staff checked for an available room, we were allowed to do so. Staff (Manny) was very helpful. We stayed from 12/22-24.Parking is free. We were in a 2 queen room. The room was a decent size. The room included a microwave, mini-fridge and coffee maker. The room also has a nice flat screen television. There is free internet service which worked well for most of our devices except for my daughter's Zune. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The only other issue we had in the room was that the bathroom had small ants that must have come from somewhere around the sink area. That was not a big issue. I just made sure I kept the area wiped off. I am a Floridian and every now and then at a certain time of the year, ants just seem to show up. The free breakfast was pretty good. It included patty sausage, eggs(not sure if they were whole eggs, egg beaters or what) that were shaped into rounds, two waffle makers to make your own waffles, a variety of pastries, breads, juices, tea and of course, coffee. The dining area is small. There is also an inside whirlpool, a small exercise room and regular pool. There is a 1 washer, 1 dryer laundry room on the 3rd floor. Universal/IOA is very close by. There is a shuttle that you can catch there in the morning. You can drive there in less than five minutes and if you like walking, you can do that too. There are a variety of restaurants, drug stores and a Publix grocery store close by. All in all we enjoyed our stay and will probably stay again on our next visit to Universal.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Karena1stof4
wingtateuniversal, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
I appreciate the nice review and feedback about our hotel during your stay. I will give kudos to Manny as he is a new addition to our team and so far doing very well. I understand the small issue with the ants and I apologize that you had them in the room. You are correct, with our daily weather change from hot to cold and cold to hot, the pest seem to migrate indoors. I am glad that you understand its Florida and we are working diligently with our pest control company to eliminate the little critters from our hotel. It is a pleasure to see that our hotel made your stay comfortable and we welcome you back anytime! We hope that Wingate by Wyndham at Universal will be your only choice if you ever need a place to stay while in Orlando. Happy New Year and may you enjoy 2012!!