“Great hotel!”

Ranked #92 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Lake Mary, Florida
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We spent the night at Disneys Contemporary Hotel this past weekend for the labor holiday. The reason we chose it was because we have small children and it was so close and convenient to the Magic Kingdom that we would rather pay more to stay there and not deal with the hassle of Disneys transportation system late at night when the kids were tired.
I found the hotel clean and the rooms were nice. Our room (garden wing/garden view) was a bit of,a walk from the lobby though. My kids loved the arcade and all the cast members were friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank shannonm27
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oak Lawn
Reviewed 4 September 2012

For the first time in Disney history, they hosted "24 hours" of magic for Feburary 29th Leap Day. The Magic Kingdom was open for 24 hours and I wanted to be close to perticpate. I choose the Contemporary Resort. Deciding to "splurge a little" I booked a "Theme Park View". WOW is what I say about the view. The room was very well appointed with modern flair. Our balcony had a fabulous view of the Magic Kingdom as well as the Grand Floridian Hotel. We sipped a bit of bubbly while watching Wishes the spectacular fireworks over the castle in the evening . For the big event, 24 hours of magic our location was just perfect. It's a very short walk between the hotel and the Magic Kingdom, even at 2:30 am when you have had as much of the 24 hours of the park that your feet can take, The pathway was very well lighted so you felt safe walking bact to your room.

Their food court had ample choices for a quick bit. The Wave Restaurant on the lower level is a very elegant place for dinner. Of course the California Grill is outstanding, however its going to be closed for renovations for a while but know it will live up to its reputation when it reopens.

Not to mention the Monorail running thorough the inside of your hotel is something to Bragg about. You well not be disappointed staying at the Contemporart Resort Hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view if that is what you desire. Any room is great, so it depend...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank planegirl45
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Overall, staying at the Contemporary was a terrific experience. It is wonderfully convenient (as many other reviews have stated) to be that close to the Magic Kingdom. The youngest with us was 16 and we STILL found it great to be able to stay until the very end of the night without fear of massive bus queues because we could WALK to our hotel room.

The beds (queens instead of doubles) were extremely comfortable as were the linens and pillows (and there are loads of pillows). The bathroom was spacious. We were in the Garden Wing which was very quiet at night and lovely for sleeping. After you have been walking for miles in Parks all day, it's really not such a big deal to walk a few more steps to a quiet room rather than staying in the tower which some have reported as noisy.

We ate at Chef Mickey's once (we were travelling with a 3 and 7 year old as well) which the kids loved. We only ate breakfast at the Contempo Cafe and it was always good. The Wave serves a delicious supper as well, so if you are tired, no need to roam into Epcot for decent food.

We had some minor issues with housekeeping while we were there. Upon checking out, I asked to speak to a manager regarding the issues and I met a wonderful Cast Member named Julie. Disney - you have no idea what a gem this lady is. She took my issues completely seriously and made me feel as though she truly cared that I was inconvenienced. I was completely satisfied by the time I left. Julie truly went above and beyond the extra mile, and for that I thank her. My Disney experience ended "Magically".

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed here for our son's wedding, and were blown away by the service we were given. We had opted for online check-in, and SO glad we did. When we arrived at the hotel, we stepped off the Magical Express bus (another wonderful Disney offering that allows you to by-pass baggage claim at the airport), and were greeted with a young woman asking us if we were Mr. and Mrs.---. How could she tell? We were not the only ones disembarking from the bus... Anyway, she proceeded to give us our room keys and other Disney stay documents, and led us to the building we were staying in (South Garden). No standing in lines in the lobby to check in. Lovely. Our room was spectacular, an end unit that had 2 walls of windows on Bay Lake. The only minus to the room was that the sinks in the bathroom are VERY low. But the king bed was comfy, the room ultra clean and quiet.

The day after we arrived, I was walking down the hall to get ice, when I was stopped by one of the cleaning people. Did I prefer decaf or regular coffee for the Keurig in my room? She said she would make sure that my preference was in good supply in the room. Since I was nowhere near my room (at least 10-15 rooms away), and I had never seen or met this woman before, how did she know what room I was staying in? In fact, the next day, there was plenty of decaf in the drawer under the coffee maker. Cool.

The morning of the wedding, we stopped at the concierge to inquire about transportation to the Grand Floridian, where we were scheduled to meet with the photographer before the wedding. He gave us options, and then said that perhaps a hotel "runner" car could take us the short ride to the hotel. When we came to the desk later that day, all duded up for the wedding, he told us that no, the car was not available, but he proceeded to "comp" the taxi ride to the hotel, a 2-3 minute drive. Wow.

The icing on the cake came as we were waiting for word on the "runner" car. I had had a great deal of difficulty with a tangled fine neck chain. Both my husband and I had tried for at least 3-4 minutes each to untangle it with no luck. In desperation, as we waited, I wryly asked the 2 desk clerks if by some strange chance there was any "expert" around who could untangle the chain. As a matter of fact.... the young man behind the desk graciously took the chain and, with 2 pins, proceeded to untangled the knotted chain, just in time for the taxi to roll up.

The people in the restaurant (Wave) were extremely solicitous and helpful as well. And every employee was helpful, friendly and polite. And as an added bonus, the hotel is a short walk from the Magic Kingdom.

In short, I plan on staying there for our next Disney visit, whenever that may be.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank novastorm19
Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We have visited Walt Disney World many times and tried a number of different hotels, including The Beach Club, The Dolphin, Hilton at Downtown Disney and The Polynesian (our 2nd favorite). We keep returning to the Contemporary.
Staying here makes you feel like you are always in Walt Disney World. When the second parade is finished in the Magic Kingdom, you can just stroll easily back to your room, no bus lines.
It's fun to have the monorail, and Chef Mickey's (a great Character Dining Experience for all ages) right outside your door. This trip we were in the main building with a castle view. It's an interesting view for fireworks as well, then you can quickly go over to the Magic Kingdom for the extra hours nights for resort guests.
It's definitely worth the money to be able to look out your room window and see the Magic Kingdom !
We miss the Food and Fun Center but they have tried to make the Contempo Cafe into a very similar venue. The food quality is great. Pool area is very expansive and never seems overcrowded in our experiences. Be sure to check out the Electrical Water Pageant each evening. You can see it from inside or at the pool area.
Hotel desk staff, bellmen, housekeeping, store clerks are all very friendly.
We also would like to have a return of the Top of the World dinner show.
Rooms were very clean. We agree with another reviewer, though, that the 2 large flat sinks in the bathroom are not very handy---no counter space at all.
But otherwise this is truly a great hotel to make your Disney Vacation extra-special.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family