New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Floridian Hotel and Suites

The Floridian Hotel and Suites
Ranked #209 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
“Clean, affordable and close to International dr, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Floridian is a good definition of travelling on a budget. It is clean, close to some attractions and restaurants, but:
- Carpeting already shows signs of heavy use
- No refrigerator in the room
- Breakfast area is unbelievable small for intended use. In fact is improvised in an area between front desk and pool door. Good juices and coffee, but poor carbos (pankakes, bread, donuts). Expect to wait a long time for a seat in the morning.
- Be sure to reserve a non-smoking room before showing up. We did not take this precaution and were assigned to a bad smelling room. Staff tryied their best, but actually they had no other room available.
- Expect to pay an additional US$4.50 fee at check in.

On the other hand:
- Rooms are spacious and clean
- Staff is very attentious
- Price is reasonable
- 3 blocks from International Drive.
- Restaurants within a walking distance

Room Tip: If your are a non smoker be sure to book a non smoking room. Smoking rooms have a very strong smell...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank puhma
The_Floridian_Hotel, General Manager at The Floridian Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel, it is through comments such as yours that we can improve our hotel and its services. Thank you for the positive comments and we will share them with our staff. Within the next year the hotel is slated to undergo a renovation and that should resolve the issue you saw with the carpet. Also, our Junior Suites do have a refrigerator and microwave in them, maybe next time you might want to try one of those rooms.

At peak times the breakfast area is very busy and we are sorry you had to wait for a table. Some of our guests do take their breakfast back to their rooms or go outside to the pool area during these peak time. The breakfast also opens at either 6 AM or 7 AM and during that non-peak time it is not as busy and you usually do not have to wait for a table.

We really appreciate your feedback and hope that if you are back in the Orlando area in the future, you would consider staying with us again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Hotel was nice, clean, comfortable, and very close to universal, SeaWorld and a short drive to Disney. Breakfast was OK. Staff was friendly and helpful. But we had two problems: early in the morning I called to say that we will be late check in, we arrived at hotel and they do not have a junior suite that we rented. We needed the microwave because I have an 11 months baby. Early morning we got the room we had rented.
Second, a resort fee was charged, but when we booked said there is no additional cost, the truth is little money for everything we have, but said… there is no additional cost!!!!

I hope to return again, I want the junior suite near the reception, is cool.

Room Tip: junior suites in the ground flour
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we appreciate the feedback. Thank you for the positive comments and we will share them with our staff. We do apologize for not having your Junior Suite available at check in, but I am glad we resolved the issue the very next day.

We would also be willing to review your reservation regarding the resort fee, if you would like to contact me at gm@thefloridianhotel.com . We will take a look at this situation, and let you know if we can do anything about it. Again, we really appreciate your feedback and hope that if you are back in the Orlando area in the future, you would consider staying with us again.
Gastonia, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I just got back from my one week trip to Orlando (3/12/12-3/19/12) and truly enjoyed my stay at the Floridian. I honestly don't understand why some of these reviewers gave this hotel such low marks. I experienced no problems. I just think some people go to a hotel under $75 and expect the Waldorf Astoria. Unreasonible expectations. I paid $40/per night. The hotel was attractive and well-maintained inside and out. There were indoor corridors. Always felt safe. Room was extremely clean, no odors. Everything was in good working order and well-maintained. The cleaning staff did an excellent job and had no issues. The day I stayed in to sleep late and rest, the cleaning staff respected my "Do Not Disturb" sign and resumed regular cleaning the next day. My bed/bedding/pillow was very comfortable, clean, and like new. The staff was polite. The pool area was nice and relaxing. There were no noise issues at all (very rare at any hotel). Checking in and out was fast, friendly with no surprises. Very close to I-4, International Dr., and Universal Studios. Sea World and Disney World were also close. LOTS of eatting places nearby. If I had to be "picky", it would've been nice to have a mini-fridge (maybe a microwave) in the room. The internet connection was ok for Facebook and the like, but was too weak to load video. Even for a "value" hotel, the morning breakfast was very limited. Nevertheless, this hotel was an outstanding value and I WILL be staying here in the future. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Friendnc
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate the feedback. And though it is not always easy to hear, specifics like yours helps us strive harder to create a positive guest experience. We will share your experience with our staff and team to let them know how happy you were with your stay with us.

If you do ever return to this area, please do stay with us as it will be our pleasure to serve you again. We hope to see you again in the future!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

After seeing mixed reviewed about this hotel, I was a little concerned. But we got this as a last minute deal during March Break and the price was right. Going into the room - we were still a little concerned but considering the amount of time we spend in a hotel room on a Florida vacation, it worked out fine for us.

The room is spacious - but it definitely sees its age. The duvet on the bed doesn't have a cover over it - so it is literally just a shabby, white comforter. Our's had rips in it - like others have reported. We had a room with the sleeper sofa. When I took the cushions off to pull out the bed there was crumbs and cereal down between the cushions and sitting on top of the pull out mattress, which was a bit of a put off. The sleeper sofa also wasn't made up - despite the room having been booked for three adult people. The mattress itself also looked aged and rather uncomfortable. We had to go down twice to get proper bedding from it - the first time the staff only sent up a flat sheet and not a fitted. They also didn't bring it to the room for us - we had to go get it and this was only at about 6 p.m. The fleece-style blanket they sent up had holes and see-through spots in it. In the end, I decided to just sleep on it as a sofa, rather than pulling out the icky looking mattress. It was quite comfortable. But one complaint would be that the housekeeping staff never attempted to "make up" (fold the sheets and blankets, tidy them or change them) the entire we were there and in the air conditioning and the Florida weather, in addition to people using the sofa as a sofa when we were in the room - it likely would've been nice to have the sheets changed at least once during the week.

The bathroom was spacious as well - but lacked in counter space for a family to put out their various toiletries. The shower head also definitely showed its age and didn't work that well due to mildew disrupting the stream of water. The tub also drained very, very poorly. It meant you were basically swimming by the time you were getting out of the shower and had to watch so as to not slip with the soap and shampoo having not washed properly down the drain.

The advertised kitchenette was a bit of a disappointment at the start. We were expecting a little bit more to it. It is basically just an island dividing the room. It does have a rather large bar fridge, which is nice. It also has a sink and microwave and a typical hotel-sized coffee maker. This sink also drained poorly and there were no cupboards (save for one below the sink) or drawers to put any food or utensils, etc. in. There also were no utensils or dishes provided - save for the usual plastic glasses. You can take some stuff from the continental breakfast counter, should you need it, I guess. We ended up going out and buying some disposable bowls and cutlery on our own.

The continental breakfast, as to be expected, is a nightmare for anyone with food allergies or sensitivities (which is actually why were had been excited that this hotel advertised having a kitchenette). It is basically just highly processed and sugary cereal along with bite-sized highly processed and sugary pastries and muffins, etc. There was the option of toast and some less than appealing looking fresh fruit out each morning too. It also seemed to rotate through an option like waffles or french toast, etc.

The parking was ample and we were always able to find a spot near the front. The one time we did park at a side door - we weren't able to get the key card to open the door for us.

Two members of our party used the pool - and basically had it to themselves. They reported the area clean, quiet and the chairs comfortable with options for sitting in the shade.

The free wifi is a bit of a joke. We were only able to access it sporadically from our room on the third floor and the signal was always weak. We actually had better luck jumping onto the free wireless at the next door hotel. Another factor in picking this hotel for us was the free wifi, because we were making day trips to either coast and wanted to be able to look up maps, attractions and weather. So that was a little disappointing too.

The area itself is so-so. We were glad that the hotel is off the main strip of International Drive but we still found being that close to I-Drive a little annoying when coming back in the evening. It's all flashing lights and slow traffic and trying to watch for pedestrians in tourist mood who aren't watching for traffic despite clearly being on an insanely busy and distracting street. We also found it a little hard to turn in and out of Canada Ave both in the mornings and evenings. We had our lives flash before our eyes a couple times - even with lots of waiting for a break in traffic. I also didn't find it that conveniently located to the highways if you're trying to get anywhere out of the city - it was about 12 km backtrack to get to the appropriate highway. You're still a bit of a drive from Disney but Universal is basically your neighbour, if that's the objective of your vacation.

Basically - we left generally happy with the hotel despite it's downsides. Considering what we paid and considering it was booked a week before the Canadian March Break, we really can't complain. In the end, we really weren't around the hotel that much anyways and when we were there the room was a good size and it was comfortable enough to sleep in. But is there room for improvement at this facility? Yes. We have definitely stayed at nicer hotels in similar price ranges in Orlando before - and they were in areas of the city that we liked better and better suited our needs and interests as a family. But, we'd likely consider this hotel again if we needed something in a pinch. You get what you pay for and the price is right.

Room Tip: A wing on the third floor is a smoking wing. You can smell it when you get off the elevator. If you...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BackAgain05
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel, it is through comments such as yours that we can improve our hotel and its services. In the past two weeks our linen order finally arrived and we now have new linens and new bed spread for all our beds. We were very disappointed to read about your experience with the level of cleanliness in your room. We have followed up with our housekeeping team concerning the issues you mentioned to make sure that they are properly addressed.

We are sorry that you did not care for our Continental Breakfast, but we do try to rotate some of the items on a daily basis so it is not the same thing each day. We do apologize for the Wi-Fi not working properly during your visit; we have had the company that handles our internet service make adjustments to their system in order to improve the reception throughout the hotel.

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel on vacation. As in another review, the bed linens are damaged. The staff is uncooperative - unlike in another review, my request to check in early to avoid wasting three hours of my day was met with a stoic "Check-in is at 3 PM" from the staff. The continental breakfast is pitiful at best. When I complained of the TV running all night in the room next to mine with the volume at an unreasonable level (thus denying me any sleep whatsoever), they claimed that he is a "regular" and that they tried to get his attention but failed and then refused to move me to another room. This is unacceptable at best, I know I absolutely will NEVER stay at this hotel again, and I recommend that anyone considering this hotel should simply pass this place by and room somewhere else. I've been treated better at Super 8 and Days Inn, for crying out loud.

Room Tip: Want a good trip? Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank frequenttraveler2099
The_Floridian_Hotel, General Manager at The Floridian Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest~~Thank you for your comments, and if you are still in the hotel please come down and ask for me so I can personally address your concerns. We do try our best to honor special requests such as an early check in. However, it is hard for us to guarantee them during high demand times such as weekends or if a special event is in town like the NBA All Star Game.

As hospitality professionals, it's disturbing to learn of our team's shortcoming. However, let me assure you that I have personally discussed your experience with our Front Office Manager regarding the guest next door with the television. Your comments have enabled us to take immediate and corrective action to insure the deficiencies are corrected and retrain our staff on how to deal with this situation. Your unfortunate experience will not be a reoccurring problem and it is possible that the hotel could have been full and we might not have been able to change you to another room, and we apologize for this.

In the future, I invite you or any other guests with a need to contact me directly at gm@thefloridianhotel.com and we will do our best to make sure your request is met if it is at all possible or resolve any issue you may have. Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience, and if you are still in house please come down and ask for me.

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels