“This hotel was a hot mess”

Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Ranked #200 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Clearwater, Florida
“This hotel was a hot mess”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Took an old hotel and dropped a water park in the middle. Hopefully it has changed since we were there. Service was atrocious in many areas. The rooms were updated, but the exterior was outdated.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Agidago
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, 4 September 2016
Hello guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. We strive to provide you with excellent service from check in through check out and I am disappointed we were not able to meet that goal. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews are shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

I would like to discuss this in more detail so we can take immediate action to correct the areas you mentioned. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can restore your confidence in us and provide you with a quick resolution.

321-206-4392
Andy.Holt@cocokeyorlando.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Polish first
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I recently visited this resort and I wish I would have stuck to the resorts I knew (DISNEY). If you want to be treated like a GUEST do not stay here. You will find that most staff members are un-friendly. Do not waste time calling in to the front if you have a problem--They will never show! The designs of the rooms are nice and it would be great if everything in the room functioned properly. The walls are PAPER thin. You will not sleep peacefully. Every sneeze, cough, probably whisper can be heard from the next room.This is NOT the place to stay overnight if your looking for a VACATION in Orlando. However the water park, slides etc. are great. Your children will have a good time but I don't recommend booking any reservations as this is NOT the place for vacation, simply 1 day fun. Stay elsewhere in Orlando & purchase a single day ticket to Coco Key's Water Park as staying at this "resort" or motel as I like to call it, is a bad idea.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mommy212
, General Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Thank you for providing us with feedback and for staying with us during your visit to Orlando. We are very sorry to hear that you did not experience the great customer service that we pride ourselves on. We are pleased that you enjoyed our water park and the guestroom during your stay. Our staff members strive to provide a great experience for all of our guests and we again apologize that you did not feel we met your expectations.
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I booked this hotel through a Groupon deal. A hotel with it's own water park? Sounded like a nice getaway with the kids for a couple of days. The absolute best thing about this place was the hotel staff. Every staff member from the restaurant hostess to the check in staff to the lifeguards were very friendly and wanted to make sure you had a good experience. The lifeguards were very vigilant watching over the kids but also played and interacted with them. I saw several other reviews complaining about the rooms. We had no real issues with ours. It was always clean and was in generally good condition. The water park was a lot of fun for my kids. The restaurant was ok. Can't beat the price though at it. The most disappointing thing was the game room. Very large for a hotel, but very expensive. I got $10 cards for each kid and they burned through it in 30 minutes. We would definitely stay here again (but bypass the game room next time!).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank raevin68
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are very pleased that you had a good experience and found our hotel staff to be friendly. Please visit us again soon!
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We booked this place because of my 5 year old son. We wanted a place that he could enjoy without having to go to a theme park (even though we did go to seaworld). The water park was great. There's water play areas and slides for toddlers and teens. A bar for grown ups to get a drink, pizza hut for a quick snack, a restaurant for a more filling meal and a convenience store on site in case you forgot something. What we liked most is that we were on International drive and could walk to get whatever we wanted. We didn't move our car at all once we checked in. However, the room we were initially given sucked! The property has a lot of outside facing rooms and a building called the Tower...you want to be in the tower! The outer facing rooms were very small and not comfy at all. We could hear all of the parking lot noise and the people walking down the hall, talking loudly, plus we had some rude teenage jerks bang on our door and runaway. We requested a room change the next day and they granted our request without question. We asked to be in the tower and when we walked into the room I was instantly relieved! It was huge and way more comfy than the other room. So I was pleased with the new room until I realized that the air conditioning wasn't cooling. The temp was stuck on 78 degrees, which was not comfy at all considering this is Florida in the summer time! Long story short, we called maintenance 2 times and they came out and did "something" but the room never really cooled off. I explained this to the front desk person at check out and the best they could do was refund my resort fee ($20). I consider the A.C. problem bad luck, and think that most people would enjoy the facility if they get a room in the tower.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Tower, they are more comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Andrea H
Hello Guest,

321-206-4392
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

This was a very interesting place to visit and stay. They surprised me with the many things they did well; that being said, that things that were not so well, were disappointing, considering their good aspects.
I will start off with the good: I arrived here at 3:15, with my 4 year old and 9 year old. While we were waiting in line to check in, the manager came out and told us all he really appreciated our patience, was glad to have us there, and if you were not waiting to check in, could he help with anything else? I will say that all the check in desks were up and running, so the line was moving quickly. I was very impressed he would do that. He made me feel that we were welcome there.
Sadly, our room was not yet ready(official check in was 4pm-so not really their fault)-but they did let us pre check in-which gave us our wristbands for the water park, which is what we wanted to do anyway.
We changed in the lobby bathrooms-they were very clean and had several EXTREMELY large stalls-so that made getting ready for the 3 of us a breeze. We put our suitcases back in the car, and made the short walk over to the waterpark.
The waterpark had plenty of tables and chairs available, even at mid day. Sure, we had to search a little bit, but we still found somewhere to put our stuff.
As other people have said, there was definitely lifeguards around. The water areas were all very colorful, and had a good variety of slides for my kids. There were taller slides, and shorter ones, lots of water play areas, and a waterfall and a pool. We really enjoyed when the giant bucket of water would dump every couple of minutes. The waits for the slides were not long at all, because there was a lot to choose from.
For dinner, we chose to eat at their hotel restaurant Tradewinds. It was located right beside the waterpark. We did the buffet, which had fried chicken, baked beans, broiled cod, steamed veggies, mac and cheese, yellow rice, pizza, salad bar, fresh fruit, cheesecake and carrot cake,and lots of different drinks to choose from. This only cost $10 per adult and $5 per kid. Which I thought was very reasonable for a hotel restaurant. The food was also fresh and tasted fine. Although, we all thought the mac and cheese was very strange tasting.
We swam more after dinner, as the waterpark was open until 9.
Our room was a King bed with a sofabed. The room was very nice! Actually better than I thought it would be. The colors were very pretty, and the bathroom had a huge counter space and the sink was seperate from the shower. The bed was comfortable enough and had a down comforter.(well, possibly fake down, but it was thick and fluffy....you get the idea). The tv was a good size and the lighting in the room was good. The room was quiet, we could not hear our neighbors or people outside.
Around the waterpark there was also a pizza hut, and a place to get chicken strips or hotdogs. There was also a bar for the grown ups to grab a drink, if they wanted. We played in the arcade, which had a lot of great games for the kids to play and get points for cheesy little gifts at the end(think Chuck E. Cheese prizes).
What impressed me the most about this place was how extremely FRIENDLY all the workers were. A lot of people saying "yes ma'am" to me in a polite fashion, a lot of smiles, and a lot of interaction with the kids. Everyone there seemed happy to help you.
So hard to imagine anything was bad, but there was a little. I would not say bad, just more, needed some help.
They must not have enough staff to keep up with all the people that visit the waterpark. There was gobs and gobs of wet towels strewn everywhere. Draped all over empty chairs, piled in heaps on the ground, dumped on the changing benches in the bathroom nearest the pool-everywhere. We got there at 3:30, and they were out of clean towels to hand out. No surprise-since they were all over the place, used and dirty. I was able to snag two hand towels from the cleaning carts that were around. Better than nothing! Also, as we were walking around, I saw a used pantyliner laying right on the edge of the pool. I guess it fell out of somebody's swimsuit. That was definitely a little gross to see. (It was picked up later, at least).
There was also several empty cups lying on the ground, dirty used food plates lying around-and the bathrooms closest to the pool had very dirty floors, and several dirty toilets. Now, a lot of this, I just blame on lazy people visiting the resort. They need to return their used towels, flush the toilets, and dump their food in the waste cans. However, if you are running a resort, you need to have enough employees to keep it clean. Also,they offered 7 waterslides, but 3 of them were always closed. The four left were fine, but a bummer to see other ones that looked fun, but you couldn't use. They had water running in them, but nobody could explain why they were not open. Also, the flooring they use for all around the waterpark gets very wet and slippery. I saw kids falling all over the place-on to hard surfaces. Yes, the kids should not run, but could they have used something possibly a little less slick?
They were doing a lot of cleaning up at 8:30-so I guess they just clean the waterpark for the 11 am opening, and then let the chips fall where they may.
Also, the tallest water slides were right by the main highway-it wasn't a very tropical feeling to wait in line while semi's were speeding by.
Overall, I think your kids would have a good time. I would plan one day in your stay here to just hang out at the waterpark.(If you are staying several days and planning to go to the parks) Bring your own swim towel, and get there when they open at 11 when it is all new and clean. There are sidewalks from the hotel that lead you to millions of restaurants and shops. It is a great location, and the people are nice.
If you are after the waterpark experience, and deciding between here and Nick hotel, I would pick here. There is no comparison between the quality of these rooms and the ones at Nick hotel. The waterpark at Coco key has bigger slides, and their resort fee is 10 cheaper a day than at Nick Hotel. Also, cheaper food on site, and better location to other restuarants within walking distance. And you pay an overall cheaper price to stay here than at Nick hotel. You are also right next door to a really cute miniature golf stand. And the Nick hotel had just as many cleanliness issues.
So I can recommend here-just be prepared for some dirty. I just wish they would hire more friendly people to keep it cleaner, and to keep all the slides open. And if you do go there-clean up after yourself!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank lovelymommy_10
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2016
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful time. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews were shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver. We appreciate your continued business and if I can be of any assistance on your next reservations do not hesitate to email me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!