Travelled here during June, 2012 with my family. We decided to stay here because of the hotel's shared facilities with the Ritz Carlton next door. Also, as a Marriott Platinum member, i was looking forward to a nice, large-sized room. Our stay was mostly positive, but there were a few wrinkles that should be pointed out.
-The hotel facilities are very nice. The lobby is impressive and the pool/lazy river are wonderful resting areas (particularly after a day of running around theme parks in the hot, summer sun.)
-The restaurants on-premise are good. Primo was excellent, while the American restaurant had a good breakfast buffet and was all-around pleasant.
-It is an easy five minute walk over to the Ritz Carlton, which has a lovely spa and some good restaurants as well.
-We were very unhappy with our initial room. Not only was it small, but it wasn't very clean. There was a half consumed bottle of water on a coffee table (was supposed to be a new bottle but apparently had not been changed). The bedspread on the mattress had holes on it. All in all, the room came across as sloppy. To the hotel's credit, when we complained, they did upgrade us to a suite, which was spacious and very nice (it pays to be Platinum I guess).
-The hallways were not very clean. Each day we noticed trash on the floor. I travel all the time and rarely do i notice trash in a hotel hallway. Here I did, leading me to assume that the housekeeping staff is not that diligent.
-The hotel is a bit isolated. While it's only a 15 minute drive to many theme parks, there is really nothing around within walking distance other than the Ritz. We did not have a car with us so we were "held hostage" at the hotel while there. I was also surprised that the hotel did not have shuttles going to the theme parks, I would think when you're that isolated a shuttle would be a natural. Interestingly, one of the drivers who took us to the theme park told us that if we charged the car ride to the room, the hotel would take a 10% "tax" over and above the cost as a service charge. That feels really cheap and unnecessary to me. As a result, we naturally paid by credit card as opposed to putting it on the room.
-The pool and lazy river got crowded. You don't need a key card to get into the pool area and my guess is that people brought in guests. You wouldn't believe how many people were riding on the lazy river on a Saturday. You were bumping into people left and right.
All in all, the negatives were not big deals, and we had an enjoyable stay. The pool is very large and has many areas, so it's easy to carve out a space for yourself. While we had a good time, it's important to know that this hotel is not a luxury hotel in the class of Ritz or Four Seasons. It's a nice, upper scale Marriott with good facilities, but not much more than that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a truly memorable luxury hotel experience at the JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes. We welcome you to our resort in a superb location just moments from Orlando's best-loved attractions. Each of our nearly 1,000 hotel rooms and suites feature elegant decor and luxury amenities, including marble bathrooms and 24-hour room service. Onsite dining options, including fine Italian cuisine at Primo and fresh sushi at the Sushi Bar, are sure to please every palate. Pamper yourself at the onsite Ritz-Carlton spa, or tee off from our Greg Norman-designed golf course. Children will enjoy our Lazy River outdoor pool, as well as a host of special programs created just for them. Though you might be excused for not wanting to leave the resort, you should certainly take advantage of our prime location near Orlando's legendary theme parks. We offer shuttle service to SeaWorld, Walt Disney World, and Universal Orlando Resort - making it easy for your family to enjoy the best of the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes Hotel Orlando
- Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes
- Orlando Marriott