“Luxury at its finest” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Luxury at its finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

The JW is a sick hotel!! It is connected to the Ritz as well. You can walk to it via a walkwa bridge. There is also a nice golf course on location too.

The rooms are all very large and very nice. Some rooms have balconies but not all so request one and enjoy the view!

The pool is huge with a lazy river, bar and food. There are plenty of lounges and spaces for you to relax. Your better renting a car though bc it's far from a lot of places and a cab from airport is very expensive

There are a lot of food options on resort to. The fitness center is huge with tons of machines and equipment. More like a real gym

You will def be pleased w this resort!

Room Tip: Request balcony
Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank chris c
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Redding, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

OK , I will admit that the facility is lovely, great rooms, nice grounds but be forewarned, it IS a resort property so nothing is a value proposition. The common rooms' including the restaurants are noisy when there is a convention going on and the "free" lobby Internet connection is slow. My pet peeve is any hotel which considers the Internet a profit segment, with no break for Marriott Rewards members.

If you're traveling on vacation be sure to ask about the convention schedule as it will impact your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the back facing rooms - nicer views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DJMADM
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

My conference was at the Ritz Carlton next door, but it was sold out, so I stayed here, and have no regrets. I stayed at the same Ritz a few months ago, and in my opinion, the two are very comparable. The service was impeccable, super fast check-in, extremely clean, very comfortable bed, quality amenities. My room did not feel small at all, but I did not have a balcony. My room overlooked the pool, which was nicer than the Ritz's, and I sure wish I had time to enjoy it. My bathroom had a separate tub and shower, which doesn't matter to me, but another poster commented their room did not, so maybe it was my room style?? Prior to arrival I was disappointed in not being able to stay at the conference venue, but the two hotels are connected through their respective conference centers, and while it was a bit of a walk to get to my conference, I really have no regrets and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: High floors have amazing view!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wisgirl01
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

The family stayed for four nights during spring break. The grounds at this resort were immaculate and overall we would say the resort was incredibly beautiful. The golf course was perfect. The pool area/lazy river were as good as anywhere we've ever stayed, except maybe Atlantis. If you have kids or love a great pool, this hotel will not disappoint. The JW and Ritz (adjacent) share access, meaning you can stay and lounge at the Ritz pool even though you're staying at the JW and vice versa. The Ritz is the place to see and be seen, very posh. You may also opt for seclusion at the spa pool, but this can be a costly excursion at $25.00 pp, per day. The food, wine, and drinks were very good. We loved the poolside bar and servers and would have rated the JW at five stars but for the extra fees and expensive meals. We spent $7.00 each on floats for the lazy river ($35.00 total), $25.00 per half hour for pedal buggy cars, $25.00 per person for the breakfast buffet, and $4.50 for a coke at the bar. Oh and I spent $200 on a round of golf. I must say the pool was nice enough that we'll be going back again next year. I don't mind driving 5 minutes to eat out and I'm certainly not embarassed about bringing McDonalds back to the room for breakfast, which saved us about $100 a day, and kids play golf free with a paying adult. We recommend this hotel and hope to see you next April.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Julglen
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

My overall feeling on this place is...uhh...Good, I guess. Yeas, it's good, but it doesn't blow you away for what is supposed to be a "signature Marriott property". The hotel is nice and is definitely upscale, very clean from top to bottom, and has lots of grounds that it shares with the Ritz "next door". But it's missing that feeling of luxury or grandeur that I've come to expect in top tier hotels or near-top tier (4 Diamond) hotels.

Check-In: First impressions are important and I was treated wonderfully upon my arrival. The front desk was accommodating to my requests, which were numerous - crib (pack-n-play), fridge, high-floor, balcony, view of Disney. We got everything on the list at no extra charge. They even offered Free Self-Parking for being Silver Elite, which saved me almost a $100 over my 5 days. Can't ask for more than that. Bell brought up our bags quick and was at our door in minutes when we checked out. 5 Stars

Room: SMALL. I travel a lot on both business and fun and I can't remember the last time I had a room so small. Plus, it had a lot of furniture crammed into it before the fridge and pack-n-play arrived. There was a couch, coffee table, lounge chair, and a desk and office chair all stuffed together in addition to the king-size bed, end tables, and entertainment center with LCD TV. When we added the other two items we were packed in like sardines. Even the balcony was tiny with less than three feet of space out from the window. Everything was clean, which was most important to us, and the room itself was nice but nothing special. 2 Stars.

Bathroom: Again clean and again small, and otherwise unremarkable. Old school shower-tub combo, which I see in most of my business hotels, but rarely anymore in resort style "signature" hotels. Good water pressure on the shower, but the tub and standing room are a little tight. No deal breakers. 3.0 Stars.

Bed: Small pillows. I hate them personally, but I recognize that's just personal taste. Bed was firm and comfortable. No issues. Nice reading lamps on the headboard. 3 Stars.

Parking: Self-park lot is a few hundred feet from the main entrance. Nothing radical. Would like to have seen a guard or someone on duty at night. Coming home from Disney after the fireworks show near midnight and I would rather not have my wife and kids walk from that lot. No incidents and standard fare really, but some hotel employee in sight would have been preferred. 3 Stars.

Location: Essentially down the block from Sea World. It was a 15 minute drive to Universal and maybe 20 mins to Disney. 5 mins to International Drive and I4. We could see the Disney fireworks in the distance if out on our balcony. Solid location if you're not staying on a park property. 3.5 Stars.

Pool: Lots of pool. We had no problems finding a spot with four lounge chairs any day we went. $7 floats on sale that everyone seems to buy. You write your name on them after paying and they'll store them in the clubhouse for you overnight. Lot of dead bugs in the pool late in the day. Yuck. Geckos running wild all over the pool property. We had no issues with it, but worth mentioning if it makes any of the ladies uncomfortable. 3.5 Stars.

Food: We ate at the breakfast buffet the first morning. At the high end for prices for a breakfast buffet based on my experience. They made my daughter a pancake shaped like Mickey. Tasted so bad she took one bite and left the rest. I had a made-to-order omelet that I would classify as the worst tasting omelet I've ever had. In total I paid over $75 for a breakfast (2 adults, 1 child) that we hated. At lunch we ordered by the pool. Wife and I split a quesadilla that was good with chips & queso that were awful. Prices were as expected. After that day we had no interest in eating at the property for the remainder of the trip. 1 star.

Overall: Some good. Some bad. All together unremarkable and less than what I expected for my money. Highlight for me was the service at the front desk at check-in. It was downhill from there. Would I recommend it to the average person? Sure. To any of my savvy travelling friends, probably not, unless they got a good price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family