“Just as nice as Ritz” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wisconsin
“Just as nice as Ritz”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

My conference was at the Ritz Carlton next door, but it was sold out, so I stayed here, and have no regrets. I stayed at the same Ritz a few months ago, and in my opinion, the two are very comparable. The service was impeccable, super fast check-in, extremely clean, very comfortable bed, quality amenities. My room did not feel small at all, but I did not have a balcony. My room overlooked the pool, which was nicer than the Ritz's, and I sure wish I had time to enjoy it. My bathroom had a separate tub and shower, which doesn't matter to me, but another poster commented their room did not, so maybe it was my room style?? Prior to arrival I was disappointed in not being able to stay at the conference venue, but the two hotels are connected through their respective conference centers, and while it was a bit of a walk to get to my conference, I really have no regrets and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: High floors have amazing view!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wisgirl01
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

The family stayed for four nights during spring break. The grounds at this resort were immaculate and overall we would say the resort was incredibly beautiful. The golf course was perfect. The pool area/lazy river were as good as anywhere we've ever stayed, except maybe Atlantis. If you have kids or love a great pool, this hotel will not disappoint. The JW and Ritz (adjacent) share access, meaning you can stay and lounge at the Ritz pool even though you're staying at the JW and vice versa. The Ritz is the place to see and be seen, very posh. You may also opt for seclusion at the spa pool, but this can be a costly excursion at $25.00 pp, per day. The food, wine, and drinks were very good. We loved the poolside bar and servers and would have rated the JW at five stars but for the extra fees and expensive meals. We spent $7.00 each on floats for the lazy river ($35.00 total), $25.00 per half hour for pedal buggy cars, $25.00 per person for the breakfast buffet, and $4.50 for a coke at the bar. Oh and I spent $200 on a round of golf. I must say the pool was nice enough that we'll be going back again next year. I don't mind driving 5 minutes to eat out and I'm certainly not embarassed about bringing McDonalds back to the room for breakfast, which saved us about $100 a day, and kids play golf free with a paying adult. We recommend this hotel and hope to see you next April.

2 Thank Julglen
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

My overall feeling on this place is...uhh...Good, I guess. Yeas, it's good, but it doesn't blow you away for what is supposed to be a "signature Marriott property". The hotel is nice and is definitely upscale, very clean from top to bottom, and has lots of grounds that it shares with the Ritz "next door". But it's missing that feeling of luxury or grandeur that I've come to expect in top tier hotels or near-top tier (4 Diamond) hotels.

Check-In: First impressions are important and I was treated wonderfully upon my arrival. The front desk was accommodating to my requests, which were numerous - crib (pack-n-play), fridge, high-floor, balcony, view of Disney. We got everything on the list at no extra charge. They even offered Free Self-Parking for being Silver Elite, which saved me almost a $100 over my 5 days. Can't ask for more than that. Bell brought up our bags quick and was at our door in minutes when we checked out. 5 Stars

Room: SMALL. I travel a lot on both business and fun and I can't remember the last time I had a room so small. Plus, it had a lot of furniture crammed into it before the fridge and pack-n-play arrived. There was a couch, coffee table, lounge chair, and a desk and office chair all stuffed together in addition to the king-size bed, end tables, and entertainment center with LCD TV. When we added the other two items we were packed in like sardines. Even the balcony was tiny with less than three feet of space out from the window. Everything was clean, which was most important to us, and the room itself was nice but nothing special. 2 Stars.

Bathroom: Again clean and again small, and otherwise unremarkable. Old school shower-tub combo, which I see in most of my business hotels, but rarely anymore in resort style "signature" hotels. Good water pressure on the shower, but the tub and standing room are a little tight. No deal breakers. 3.0 Stars.

Bed: Small pillows. I hate them personally, but I recognize that's just personal taste. Bed was firm and comfortable. No issues. Nice reading lamps on the headboard. 3 Stars.

Parking: Self-park lot is a few hundred feet from the main entrance. Nothing radical. Would like to have seen a guard or someone on duty at night. Coming home from Disney after the fireworks show near midnight and I would rather not have my wife and kids walk from that lot. No incidents and standard fare really, but some hotel employee in sight would have been preferred. 3 Stars.

Location: Essentially down the block from Sea World. It was a 15 minute drive to Universal and maybe 20 mins to Disney. 5 mins to International Drive and I4. We could see the Disney fireworks in the distance if out on our balcony. Solid location if you're not staying on a park property. 3.5 Stars.

Pool: Lots of pool. We had no problems finding a spot with four lounge chairs any day we went. $7 floats on sale that everyone seems to buy. You write your name on them after paying and they'll store them in the clubhouse for you overnight. Lot of dead bugs in the pool late in the day. Yuck. Geckos running wild all over the pool property. We had no issues with it, but worth mentioning if it makes any of the ladies uncomfortable. 3.5 Stars.

Food: We ate at the breakfast buffet the first morning. At the high end for prices for a breakfast buffet based on my experience. They made my daughter a pancake shaped like Mickey. Tasted so bad she took one bite and left the rest. I had a made-to-order omelet that I would classify as the worst tasting omelet I've ever had. In total I paid over $75 for a breakfast (2 adults, 1 child) that we hated. At lunch we ordered by the pool. Wife and I split a quesadilla that was good with chips & queso that were awful. Prices were as expected. After that day we had no interest in eating at the property for the remainder of the trip. 1 star.

Overall: Some good. Some bad. All together unremarkable and less than what I expected for my money. Highlight for me was the service at the front desk at check-in. It was downhill from there. Would I recommend it to the average person? Sure. To any of my savvy travelling friends, probably not, unless they got a good price.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mslaterk
Stavanger
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Visited the JW Marriott in Grande Lakes in April 2012 for 11 nights.

Overall the hotel is very nice, friendly staff, great pool area, nice breakfast. Yes, it is expensive, but you more or less get what you pay for.

We travelled with our 2 and a half year old. The kids end of the pool was great, shallow and good space. Everything is fenced off which was good. Tubes, sunscreen and different toys are sold on site which was great. The food from the pool side restaurant was good in taste, but looked like it came from your local drive by. No effort in giving you the 4 or 5 star feeling. They also have a Nice playground next to the pool.

The golf course was the best kept one i have played in Orlando (and i have played afew), but the price was a robbery. You end up paying close to 200 dollars which includes the expected 25 dollar tip per player to the caddie (which you have to use).

The only real dissapointment about the hotel is the internet which we all are more and more dependent on. Today most people use wireless internet, and the signal didn't reach our room on the 18th floor. Got the signal if i went out in the corridor. Down in the resception area you would expect the signal to be very good, but it wasn't. On top of this they charge 16 dollars puls tax for 24 hours. In Europe, most hotels have free internet now.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay, but will try another hotel next time.

Room Tip: Not room 18053 if you want wireless internet
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

It is obvious this is a huge facility that caters to small conventions and the Disney Parks. With that being said, The JW and the attached Ritz are the best Orlando has to offer. The pools are awesome, the spa is great and the food was awesome. The golf course was in great shape and I really enjoyed having a forecaddie. Lunch on the patio looking at the 18th green was a nice and relaxing. We went two couples and had a great time...nice upscale place to take the kids!

Room Tip: Not much to see in any direction.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple