“A must for all animal lovers.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #39 of 334 Hotels in Orlando
Atlanta, Georgia
“A must for all animal lovers.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Since the day it opened, I had planned that at sometime I could save and afford to stay for a couple days to just enjoy the animals. My dream came true and with some special offers, we ended up staying for a week. It was my first time ever spending so long at disney. We live close enough to go for a few days, but never stayed long.
The entire resort was amazing. The common areas and all the restraunts where great. We even used the evening kids program and had and adult dinner, sooooooo needed during a full week at disney. We ended up spending alot of time at the pool and hot tubs. So well done and a few steps and you are watching the flamingo pond and all the wildlife.
I would highly recommend some snacks/coffee/drinks for the room. We had juices for the kids and coffee for us and muffins/breakfast bars/ fruit. Most mornings we would longue on our deck watching the animals, eating, reading and relaxing. It was a great way to really enjoy them. Also on days you are not at a park plan some relaxing in evening or pre dinner time, as the animals out vary during the course of the day.
The buses where pretty to easy to use to get around, much better than when I have been in past.
The only down side is the rooms are small. I usually stay off property because of this(well that and wanting to save money). I have stayed at Contemporary as well and room here was a bit smaller but none are large. Friends recommended against the bunk bed rooms because the overall footprint was even smaller. It was fine as we where either gone or on the balcony unless we where sleeping, just plan accordingly for packing and showers.

Room Tip: Definately get the Savanah view, it is why you should stay there. I had heard the bunk rooms where...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gagrl2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,710)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hartselle, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge--Jambo House. Check in was easy. We did the online thing and it seemed to help. We did not pay extra for the Savannah view room. It seemed a waste to me since we would only be in our rooms at night--we made the right decision.
The lobby is beautiful and makes for great pictures. There was a photographer there making pictures by the Christmas tree and other places.
We got two adjoining rooms. My husband and I stayed in one and my MIL and kids in the other. They loved the bunk beds. The rooms were decorated nice. There were granite countertops and I was pleased. I saw some negative reviews, but i was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. TIP: I brought little "gift" for the kids to put on their beds each night that I brought with us...they loved this. I heard of other people doing this and thought it was a great idea. they loved the little suprise when we got home from the park each night.

The restaurants in the Lodge are wonderful---tried all of them except the most expensive one--Jiko since we had kids
and you had to use more than one food credit for it. We were on the meal plan and it was plenty of food (and we like to eat). We brought granola bars and poptarts for breakfast and bought creamer (in the little store in the Lobby)
for our coffee (nice free breakfast). We used our dining plan for lunch and dinner. It worked out great.
We had to get them to tally up what food was left the last night and we got drinks, snacks, etc...Good deal.
The pool was great---it was too cold for me in November, but the kids didn't mind. It had a slide that the kids loved and there were games for the kids. We went in Novemeber and the weather was just perfect...not too hot, not too cold.
There was a store in the Animal Kingdom lodge where you could buy beer, wine, souvenoirs. It was nice and the alcohol was cheaper than buying it at a restaurants.
The bus system was fine. Many people complained about it---but we had no problems.
Fitness facility was great. I used it daily.
Overall---It was great for us and I recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank selenalindsey72
Oak Lawn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed at Jambo House Sananna view. It was spectacular, lots of anamils roaming around, we had such a great view of them. Cast members go around in a truck which had food that was placed in strategic places, either high in trees for the giraffes or on the ground for zebras and other animals. Our room, a studio was perfect for myself my daughter and her 5 and 7 year olds. The sofa makes a double bed and with the king bed we were quite comfortable.

Also have stayed at Kidani Village studio, equally as nice, so would book either one.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, a Savanna room is what you want. It's all about the animals.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank planegirl45
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

we spent a week at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We got a Savannah view room which was well worth the extra cost. Our two boys (7 & 8) enjoyed waking up to the animals Zebra Giraffe Giazelle, Waterbuck Bongo and so many others. At nite the the animal staff had night vision goggles that you can wear and look for the animals. The pool area was very nice has a small water slide that our boys enjoyed. they also show movie at the pool each nite. The room was a bit on the small side, but was clean and comfy. After staying at the lodge for a week, I felt like I was in Africa on safari.

Room Tip: if you have kids it's worth paying extra for a savannah facing room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank docgary
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a fun anniversary trip to Disney (no kids). There are both good and bad points to this hotel and while overall it did not meet my expectations, it may be the best choice for a stay at Disney.
This resort is the most reasonably priced out of all of Disney’s “Deluxe” hotels. My hotel philosophy is: always stay at the best possible hotel at the best possible price. If you’re going to be at the parks all day from 9am-9pm, there is no point in spending an exorbitant amount of money on a room you’re barely in. That being said, you still want the cleanliness, service and upkeep of a luxury resort. By definition, Animal Kingdom lodge works out to be the best option.
The rooms and hotel were clean and well looked after and much of the staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is African themed to compliment the savannah with the animals. Viewing the animals was a great perk; it was fun to be close to the Giraffes, Zebras, Gazelle and others. We didn’t spend the extra several hundred $’s to stay in a savannah view room, which was a good decision as we were in the parks for most of the day. It would have been nice to see the animals from the balcony, but I wasn’t going to spend over $100 a day more for it. We viewed the animals from lookout points and it was still exciting.
Some of the reasons why I was disappointed had to do with the size, décor and lighting of the rooms - especially the bathroom. If I were going to design a “luxury” lodge on an African Savannah, yes it would include the beautiful dark woods used throughout, but I would keep the feel light and airy. Here, they tried to incorporate deep African prints, which made the rooms feel dark and gaudy. (If you view the photos, I have one with the bed cover on and one without & it looks so much more luxurious without).
Clearly when they were designing the bathroom, they did not think it through very well. There is a double sink outside and separate from the “toilet / shower” room which is fine, but the “toilet / shower” room is so tiny, you can’t close the door unless you bump into the toilet bowl or shower curtain. This room is also very darkly lit, has a dark printed shower curtain and “home-depot-esq” tiles. If I were designing a lux bathroom, it would probably be marble, and if not, at least quality, brightly colored tile and a glass shower door. Also - BEWARE the toilet! If you don’t flush and run it will spit all over you! (flush is very strong). This bathroom experience was a big downer for me.
Other than that, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There was a small safe as well.
The hotel itself is very large, like most Disney resorts, and spread out over 2 different sections: Jambo House & Kidani Village. It’s about a 8-10 minute walk between the 2 or you can take a shuttle. We stayed in Jambo House, where the main lobby is located as well as the larger pool, Jiko and Boma. This portion of the lodge has a very “big hotel” feel with an enormous lobby and a lot of people to help at the front desk. Kidani Village has its own quaint lobby, a nicer gym, a smaller pool, a shop and Sanaa restaurant (doesn't serve breakfast). It depends what kind of hotel experience you prefer, but looking back I may have requested a room at Kidani Village.
The restaurants in the hotel are very good. The breakfast buffet at Boma was delicious. Sanaa and Jiko are both great dining options. The food at the hotel is one great thing about staying here.
The pool is gigantic and has a water slide. There are 2 hot tubs and the life guards are very attentive. If you have kids, they’ll definitely love it, but as an adult, it was not at all relaxing. Instead it was loud and having to sit on one of the hundreds of loungers surrounded by so many people felt more like a cruise and less like a resort. I also asked someone to get me an umbrella since most of the loungers were in the baking sun and was told they couldn’t move umbrellas, nor get me one. This upset me because I would have expected a “Deluxe” resort to accommodate me on this.
After this, we went to Universal and stayed at the Lowes Portofino, which is like night and day and confirmed all of my reasons for being annoyed by the décor and the bathroom at AKL. It was light, airy, luxurious and had a more adult oriented pool away from the main, loud, crowded pool.
If I went back to Disney, I would consider this hotel again despite some of its shortfalls because, as mentioned above, it was a good value for the deluxe category. We visited some of the other hotels, and frankly, I don’t think Disney really gets what deluxe is these days, especially for what they are charging! The lobby at the Contemporary was filthy and out-dated and the rooms at the other resorts seem pretty average. Hopefully their new CEO can rectify some of this. AKL is at least newer, has great food options and viewing the animals is a bonus. It really makes sense to stay at one of Disney’s properties if you’re spending several days at the parks. The transportation is free (bus ride to the different parks took between 10-20 minutes, which worked out fine), you don’t have to worry about or pay for parking, you get fast-pass, which was a total time-saver (wouldn’t go without it), and a free re-fillable mug.
Overall, I would stay here when travelling to Disney if I was going to be in the parks all day. I would pay again for the standard view and try to get an upgrade upon check-in (they will try to accommodate you if you ask, especially if the hotel is not at capacity, and especially if you’re celebrating something) but not have high expectations for the bathroom. If I was planning on spending more time at the resort, I may try to stay somewhere else on Disney’s property if I could get a good price. If I was planning on spending only a couple of days at Disney, but most of my time at the resort or other parks (i.e. Universal, Sea World, etc.) I would stay at Universal’s Lowes Portofino.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a savannah view if you're going to be out all day, but ask for an upgrade upon...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple