“A Hyatt at the Top of Their Game”

Ranked #30 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Jekyll Island, Georgia
“A Hyatt at the Top of Their Game”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We received a two night reward from Hyatt and chose this property to redeem the nights at. About a week before our check-in date we received a welcoming email from the hotel's concierge desk. They asked if we had any special requests. I took the opportunity to ask for a high floor room with a view toward Disney in order to watch their fireworks. I received a note back stating that we would get a room as requested. Check-in was a breeze with uber-friendly staff and we did indeed get a room on the 10th floor (Room 1061) overlooking the pool area with a great view of EPCOT for the evening fireworks. Yes, they do charge a resort fee, but we got a discount for being Platinum members. The lobby is beautifully decorated with live plants and flowers (as are the gardens surrounding the entire property), waterfalls, and a live parrot. The resort fee covers wi-fi and wired internet service, the pool area, the fitness center, all kinds of non-motorized boats at the lake, a small family-friendly golf area, and self-parking. Our room was absolutely gorgeous with upscale amenities (different than what you get at a Hyatt Place), very comfortable king size bed, a small couch, desk, flat screen tv, coffee service, and a large bathroom with a large glass-enclosed shower with a rainshower head. All the staff throughout the property were friendly and always greeted us. We did not eat at any of the restaurants on the property. Breakfast each morning was at a nearby Dunkin Donuts that was an easy walk (all on sidewalk). Would highly recommend the nearby Joe's Crab Shack for the best crab legs around. Very unique place.

Room Tip: If you want to see the Disney fireworks at 9pm from your room, ask for a room on a high floor facing...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cathyd
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for your detailed review and noting how friendly our staff truly is. I only wish you would have experienced our dining options as our food is excellent and of the highest quality. We hope when your travel plans bring you back to Orlando, that you will choose to stay with us again here at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress !

Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Wenham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I went here for a family wedding with so many people I didn't even know who half of them were. The rooms were really nice as with the pool. I want to start off with the pool area because it's really amazing to swim in. There is a "hot tub cave" where a hot tub is under the rock ledge tucked in the corner. Also, there is plenty of water falls for the kids to enjoy the pool. There's a bar at the pool, snack shack, and a few other nice amenities. Overall I had a blast the atmosphere was up-scale and effervescent decorations, along with some talking birds, I'm not sure if they still have them. However, the staff was on edge all the time almost acting like they're pissed your asking them a question when they have better things to do. I don't mean to be a hassle it's my first time there no need to be hostile about asking about what to do in town for fun. Anyways, theres a better place called wilderness lodge on disney property. AMAZINGLY AWESOME check out the wilderness lodge and try to find the hidden mickeys!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jon B
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 3 May 2012

What a beautiful hotel, resort, clean nice room, excellent restaurants, smiling staff, absolutely perfect in every way.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool area on the 5th floor. Absolutely perfect.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Keeping it simple - short and to the point - "beautiful hotel, resort, clean nice room, excellent restaurants, smiling staff, absolutely perfect in every way." We appreciate your positive comments and hope you will recommend us to your family and friends.

Kittanning, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband, I, and our 3 children, (ages 5,3, and 2) just got back from a 10 day stay and we LOVED it! Let me start off by saying their is nothing "sneaky" about the way the hotel charges you. We had some questions about the resort fees etc. and not only did a sales manager email me the breakdown, he also called my to follow up, just ask, they are happy to help! I also had a lot of help from the front desk. I prepaid for our trip back in Feb, and they were very patient while I called my bank to let the transaction go thru. The resort is GORGEOUS! Check in was a breeze, and we got complimentary champagne, as well as buckets and shovels for the kids. We got into our room 2 hrs early. We requested a higher up room, and not only got the 16th floor, but a pool view, which we did not pay the extra for! A couple hours after we arrived I received a gift basket with milk and cookies, coldcuts, and beach goodies, with a lovely card as their "BEST" facebook fan! That's how much they pay attention to their guest! All the staff was so super friendly! Front desk, concierge, housekeeping, bellhops..without being the least bit pushy. The housekeepers even made a pint of arranging my daughters dolls in different spots while we were out. Rooms were immaculate. Beds were comfy. Loved the toiletries! Asked for an extra lotion, and they gave me 3! Pool is the most amazing pool I have ever seen! There are 3 total pools. A quiet pool, a big pool, and a smaller pool. The smallest one is heated, so we used it mostly. There is a small slide that my youngest loved. The big pool has a big slide, and is so much fun! My kids also loved the bridge! There are caverns that you can swim under, and several hot tubs. We had no problem finding chairs, there are hundreds of lounge chairs, I have no idea why people complained about that. The property is so pretty to walk thru! I took tons of pictures of just the palm trees and flowers! The walking trails along the lakes are very nice as well. We did not do any of the water activities because our kids were too young, but they looked like fun! They had planned activites for kids during the day, as well as campfires on certain evenings. Beach is not suitable for swimming, buy my kids loved to play in the sand. There were alot of conferences going on, but I did not think that interfered with our stay at all. The lobby was very loud in the evening, but I did not hear a thing from inside our room. The conference rooms are on the far side of the hotel, the only time in really interferes is when you cross thru that part of the lobby from the parking lot, but you can also use the entrance around the pool. Parking is 11 dollars a night, but even after you factor in the parking fees and resort fees, we still paid 3000 dollars less, then we would of at the Beach club resort at disney, which we had originally looked at. Only thing we ate at hotel was calamari from Palm cafe and it was delicious! Food and drinks are pricey, but so is every restaurant at Disney, and you are minutes away from about 75 places to eat. Only con I had was the shuttle schedule. Departure times did not work at all if you stay open to close at parks, so we drove every park day, but it was off season. Wasn't a big deal. This was the nicest place I have ever stayed! Even beat out our Hawaii resort! I will def stay here again! P.s. We miss you Merlot!

Room Tip: Request a higher up room, view of Disney fireworks!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Amanda S
Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review and noting the attention to detail by our staff and that the pools and grounds were simply amazing. With so much to do here and an excellent staff, we are glad you and your family had the vacation of a life time ! We only hope that when you plan your next vacation, that you will consider coming back to our resort !

Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The Hyatt Grand Cypress was nice, but it could use some renovating, especially to the pool area.

The staff at the front desk was friendly and knowledgeable. Housekeeping did a great job in my room. Service at the restaurant, Cascade, was attentive.

I liked the room decor. The towels should be more luxurious. They were like what a Hyatt Place or basic level hotel chain would offer. The KenetMD toiletries were wonderful. The rooms can be noisy from the sounds coming from other floors which all open to the lobby's atrium. I woke up a few times during the night due to that.

The food at breakfast and lunch at Cascade was mediocre. Pricey for the quality.

The resort fee should just be included in the cost of the room since it is a mandatory fee. I didn't find the fee justified. Some activities had additional charges. The pool area looked like it had seen better days. The bicycles, climbing wall, boats, and poolside bar didn't "wow" me.

There are only two buses that go to WDW and it only goes to the Transportation and Ticket Center in Magic Kingdom. From there you use Disney transportation to all 4 parks. The buses leave the Hyatt at 8:50am and 10am. They return 6pm, 8pm, 9:45pm, and 11:15pm. I found this extremely limited compared to other area hotels.

It appeared that the exterior of the hotel was getting painted during my stay, so affected rooms could not access their balconies. Also, the fitness center was closed for remodeling.

Overall, my stay was good. The hotel is better than most of the others in the Downtown Disney area. However, I can think of at least two other hotels I would prefer to stay at when visiting WDW, but staying off Disney property.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo