“Better Service at Motel 6!”

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Ranked #175 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
USA
“Better Service at Motel 6!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The superior customer service that Disney used to be known for is gone. Except for a friendly server at the Maya Grill, all service personnel at this property are slow and unfriendly. They are happy to lie about room availability and will even try to hide to avoid having to serve you (Cafe Rix). This portion of my visit was a complete disappointment and others in our group also related similar experiences.

Rooms are adequate, but nothing special. Mini-frig and free wireless are a plus, but the small size of the room is a minus. Rooms at Hampton Inn or similar chain hotels are better.

Overall, I would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at another property.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank UndercoverAngel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,589)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Georgetown, Delaware, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I do not recommend this resort to anyone taking a family vacation for the theme park experience. This resort caters to the needs of the business traveler staying for conventions, seminars, etc.
We take a two week Disney vacation every year and this was by far the worst resort experience we have ever had. It all started at check in when we inquired about transportation to Magic Kingdom the next morning for our 8:05am breakfast reservations at the Crystal Palace. The park did not open until 9:00am and we were told the busses start running one hour before the park opens. They found it very hard to understand that our reservations were an hour before the park opened and we needed earlier transportation. I found this very odd as this is a very popular breakfast reservation and they had never experienced someone needing transportation that early to the park. We ended up having to pay for a taxi and upon our arrival to the park we conversed with several people about our situation and none of them had a problem with their resorts making sure they had a bus early enough for them to arrive on time. There was no help available to us for our luggage. The room we had was very musty smelling and very dusty and cob webs were hanging from the light fixtures and smoke alarm. The vanity sink would barely drain water and we had to have it repaired after 2 days when it finally stopped draining at all. The toilet would not flush unless you stood there and held the handle until it completely drained. The shower would not stop running unless the valve was turned off so tightly that my wife and son could not turn it back on without my help. The staff (cast members) were very rude and unfriendly and treated us as if we were a nuisance instead of guests. Rix cafe is very small with very little options and Pepper Market is very time consuming and over priced. I cannot comment on The Maya grill as we did not eat there.
We traveled by vehicle and the parking lot situation was another nightmare. As we were walking to the bus stop one morning, we noticed construction in the parking lot and a very large parking lot light that was merely inches from my truck had just been removed. No one had notified me to move my truck until an hour after I noticed what was going on and had already moved it. A few days later I was told to move my truck once again to a parking lot a half mile away from the building we were in. I was told the parking lot issues were due to arrangements for the 8000 guests due to arrive for a large convention. I could go on and on but I think I have covered our biggest complaints. We talked with many other guests during our stay that were also very disappointed with the resort for the same reasons. Hopefully this review will prevent someone else from making the same mistake as we did. On a bright note, the property is beautiful and seems like a great place for the business traveler.

11 Thank Crystal L
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This hotel charged $200 a night, which is alarming considering how bland and average the hotel is. Ok, I realize that it's a Disney hotel, and it's Disney World, so you'd expect to pay a lot, but really, do they have to try that little? I came here for a convention, so it was under duress, but I'd never stay here on my own.

Here are the good things: they have a 24-hour exercise room, the room was clean, the front desk staff and concierge were helpful.

Here were the so-so things: the place is ginormous, so it's hard to get from place to place (the good thing about this is that you get a lot of exercise); the two bars are really pleasant, but the indoor bar mixes very weak drinks, and the outdoor bar mixes very strong drinks. Go to the outside bar. There's free transportation to and from the airport and to and from parks and downtown Disney, but you need to give yourself a lot of time to get around.

Here are the bad things: the restaurant choices are truly miserable. Considering that you're kind of stuck there, you're forced to eat in these places, and there's basically just one "restaurant" the Pepper Market which is awful. There's a Mexican restaurant open for dinner, but you need a reservation, and I've heard the food isn't that good. Finally, the place is racist (in concept); it's supposed to be a mix of Spanish and Mexican culture. Oh, I get it, it's supposed to evoke the systematic destruction of the Aztec and Mayan people! What a great idea!!! But the actual presentation of this is commercialized, culture unspecific, blandatry (if that's a word).

Bottom line: I'd never stay here again, and if there's ever another conference here, I'm not going.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SoloTraveler45
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Our room was really great. I chose this hotel based on the queens beds, nice bedding, and nice hardwood furniture which is all really great. We stayed here for Mardi Gras week last year and the only room available was a Preferred Room at 35% off. Last year we were even with the bus stop and near the elevator and facing a pool. I returned looking forward to staying here again.

Our stay was HORRIBLE this time. We came the Thursday before Mardi Gras for a gymnastics meet with 2 young children and stayed 9 nights. There were NO discounts this year and we were given a Standard room in Building one by the Convention center. We were very far from an elevator which was like going on a trek around 2 buildings to get to and we were on the 4th floor. We took the stairs down thinking we'll leave each day that way and take our car to the bus stop. The bus stop nearest us was by buildings 4 and 5 and extremely FAR away. On Saturday at 9:45pm we received a voice message to move out of our parking lot. We then watched and heard very loudly from 7:30am every morning most of the week a gigantic tent going up in our lot. We then saw signs saying the next 2 parking lots were closing so we had to move our car further and further away. It was a nightmare and extremely disappointing each day trying to get to the bus stop and missing buses by less than a minute at times while running through the parking lot. It was even worse at night when we were exhausted and had to walk and walk through the parking lot and then go through the labyrinth of buildings to get to the elevator and then trek around 2 more buildings to our room. We were almost run down twice late at night by employees speeding on golf carts on the walkways between buildings. The children and I had to jump in a garden one of the times as we heard the cart wheeling around a corner and it barely missed us. This was on the side walks and uncalled for.

I was angry every day and this should have been a completely happy experience. If anyone is going to be put in a room like this, they should receive an enormous discount and warned about the extreme distances to the elevator and bus stop. I was so mad to think that I paid 35% less last year for the same time of year (Mardi Gras) and that we were in such a great spot at the hotel last year for a significantly cheaper price. I had to pay full price for this misery.

We did try taking the bus from the front of the hotel stop but the crowds were so bad that you either missed the bus or the kids had to stand in the bus which isn't safe.The bus times are terrible too which was the same as last year. You need to wait at least 30 minutes for a bus. When we went to the front stop we waited 45 minutes more than once. Our guess is that the buses filled up when going to all the stops around the back so it never made it to the front since there was no room. Last year when the bus took so long everyone was offered a fast pass. This year nothing.

No one was friendly that worked at this hotel either other than at check in and check out at the front desk. We stayed at the Contemporary in the past and heard "Have a magical day" so much that we took it for granted. My husband wasn't happy about our stay at the Coronado last year and I wonder now if the unfriendliness of the staff was part of the problem. The unfriendliness really stood out to me this year since we had to travel around the hotel so much this time while last year I only saw the front to check in and out.

We also were upset that the maids only left the cute towels twice. The kids were really looking forward to it and watching the ones people left in windows - swans, candles, dolls, etc. We didn't have the maid come in every day so maybe they didn't like that. It's a shame to upset the kids on something so simple that would have made them happy.

Again I have to say that our room was great. More channels would be nice and the shower needs better pressure and hotter water. From what I've heard and seen of the other moderate and value hotels, Coronado has the best rooms - queen beds, bedding like renovated Holiday Inns, nice bathroom, and great furniture. Do not stay here unless you have a Preferred room near the bus stop AND elevator. The Coronado needs to add bus stops - especially by building one. They need more elevators but that seems unlikely to be able to fix.

I also had a problem with linking my reservation and making my dining reservations by linking them to my dining plan. I had no problem with this until we checked into the hotel. I called front desk who said to ask Concierge who said to call the Disney dining number. No one fixed the problem. I missed booking Cinderella's castle because of this and had concierge offer a time at Crystal Palace in place of it. Are you kidding me? I was also told that I could have booked it and they would have reimbursed my credit card and linked it to my dining plan at that time. Not sure if I would have wanted to take a chance on that actually happening with the way things were going.

Luggage Carts are also needed at this hotel. It was another nightmare to unload the car at the distance we were from the elevator. We should have been able to get a luggage cart and load it ourselves.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay here unless you have a Preferred room near a bus stop and elevator.
3 Thank Travelling9999
Southern
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort is just breathtaking!!! The Lobby, gift shop, grounds,theme,and rooms are just perfect!! The hotel has one "nice" restaurant...the Maya Grill. One "open-air" rest. ....The Pepper Market...it's casual dining. There is also a place called Cafe Rix. You can get bakery items,drinks,pre-packaged salads,and quick items such as a quesadillas,and hamburgers. The window where you order you real food is VERY small considering the size of this resort. In our case....God forbid you want something from there if conventioners have arrived! We spent one week at this resort. This is a Convention Hotel, but we had hopes that it wouldn't ruin our vacation. The majority of the workers in Cafe Rix were somewhat rude for our entire visit. The selection from P. Market is good. The workers at P. Market didn't seem all that comfortable speaking English. My fish tacos from the Maya Grill were wonderful, but their desserts are lacking...seriously. You couldn't have paid me to take a second bite of the pear dessert. The dividing doors in the rooms are much needed and very pretty. The curtains are actually kind of ugly, but the rest of the room and bathroom was nice. Dual sinks would have been greatly appreciated at 200 a night. We loved the fridge, beds, and free wifi. It's a gorgeous resort to stroll around. However, on several of our family strolls, we ran into prostitutes. Yes! You heard it here....prostitutes. There was NO mistaking it. I will say that we had three lovely days with no conventions in progress. However, once they arrived, the hotel took on an icky feeling. I'm not saying that people at conventions are icky, just the fact that there were no more romantic strolls. They were EVERYWHERE!!! I don't mean just a few. They were congregated EVERYWHERE!! They talked loudly, and just seemed to take over the resort. My family didn't like that at all. When the conventions began, that's when we began to notice the prostitutes. I wouldn't recommend this location for that reason only. Go over to the Caribbean Resort. I wish we would have.

Room Tip: We had a corner room in the Cabana building. It faced Lago Dorado. The second floor is always best...
3 Thank SouthernMinnie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
5.4 km away
3.5 km away
Disney's Pop Century Resort
3.0 km away
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK